Old 24-02-2003, 10:05 PM
Noctaire

Default Building a wall....

All -- I'm looking to build a wall to hold back the hill, frame up a new
patio, etc.. I'll also be making some planting beds with thes same
materials. The idea is to use 6x6 beams, much like one sees on many of the
landscape shows.

I was looking about at my local Home Depot today and came across their 6x6s.
A thought came to me -- treated lumber contains a variety of chemicals that
are not the most friendly. Anybuddy know what type of wood, treatments,
painting/staining, etc. I should be looking at for this task?

Noc.

Old 25-02-2003, 12:03 AM
Pam

Noctaire wrote:

All -- I'm looking to build a wall to hold back the hill, frame up a new
patio, etc.. I'll also be making some planting beds with thes same
materials. The idea is to use 6x6 beams, much like one sees on many of the
landscape shows.

I was looking about at my local Home Depot today and came across their 6x6s.
A thought came to me -- treated lumber contains a variety of chemicals that
are not the most friendly. Anybuddy know what type of wood, treatments,
painting/staining, etc. I should be looking at for this task?

Noc.

Suggest you consider another, more permanent material for your wall. Even
treated landscape timbers will decompose over a period of time, jeopardizing the
integrity of the wall. Seems like too much work and expense just to have to
re-do after 10 years or so. While you're at it, the same material could be used
to make raised beds - something like a dry stack stone. This would eliminate any
concerns for toxic compounds leaching into planting areas, as well as tie the
various elements of your garden together. A similar or complimentary type of
flagstone could be used for your new patio. All you need to frame up a flagstone
patio is a flexible metal edging material, available at most landscape supply
outfits.

pam - gardengal

Old 25-02-2003, 12:41 AM
TakeThisOut

Think Brick!

..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
TAKETHISOUT budysbackagain(@)THAT TOO a-oh-ell dot com
Old 25-02-2003, 01:28 AM
J Kolenovsky

Stone, brick or cinder would be durable and non-toxic.

=

,
painting/staining, etc. I should be looking at for this task?
=

Noc.

-- =

J. Kolenovsky, A+, Network +, MCP
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.celestialhabitats.com - commercial
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/personal.html
Old 25-02-2003, 07:39 AM
silvasurfa

"Noctaire" wrote in message
All -- I'm looking to build a wall to hold back the hill, frame up a new
patio, etc.. I'll also be making some planting beds with thes same
materials. The idea is to use 6x6 beams, much like one sees on many of

the
landscape shows.

I was looking about at my local Home Depot today and came across their

6x6s.
A thought came to me -- treated lumber contains a variety of chemicals

that
are not the most friendly. Anybuddy know what type of wood, treatments,
painting/staining, etc. I should be looking at for this task?

Noc.

Look around for modular interlocking retaining wall systems made of
concrete. Not sure if they have them in the USA, but they are common in
Australia. They are very easy to take apart and rebuild if your ideas change
later.

Exercise extreme caution in building a retaining wall over 3 ft tall... if
you want taller than that it will need drainage behind the base of the wall
to prevent water build up and landslide.

Old 25-02-2003, 04:15 PM
Shelly

I am going to try a similar project, and have thought brick would be nice,
but it seems like it would be very expensive! Anyone have any tips for
finding cheaper sources of brick? And what do you need to look for in brick
for this sort of application? My dad used some really pretty Cream City, but
it crumbled in a few years...

"TakeThisOut" wrote in message
Think Brick!

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
TAKETHISOUT budysbackagain(@)THAT TOO a-oh-ell dot com

Old 26-02-2003, 01:27 PM
bryan lafleur

Exercise extreme caution in building a retaining wall over 3 ft tall... if
you want taller than that it will need drainage behind the base of the wall
to prevent water build up and landslide.

I second that statement and a couple of others. Whatever you use, if
you go over 3 feet, or over 2 feet if it the hill rises very high
behind it, you will have to do your homework on the drainage.
Drainage takes a little planning, not much work compared to the wall,
and is life or death for a retaining wall.

A 6x6 landscape treated timber will last a while, but as others have
said, it will decompose, leaving you with a lot of cleanout and
replacement. Also, treated wood will probably be unavailable by the
time you have to replace it.

It is much cheaper in the long run to use the interlocking blocks,
which is a do-it-yourself project; or a stone wall which can be a DIY
project if you have strong inclination for very hard work and do some
research first. Brick is also good but is definately for the pros
and seem to look worse after a few years when the wall has flexed a
few times and cracked and/or broken in places.

Good luck,
Bryan
Old 27-02-2003, 08:27 AM
Snooze

As others have suggested, you should use brick, landscape blocks, or
something else a bit more permenant. Wood rots over time, and it will fail
when it's needed the most (on the biggest storm of the season)

Also be aware that some places require that retaining walls above a certain
height, usually 3ft, be permitted. So check with local regulations, an
unpermitted retaining wall that failed to hold back a mudslide would
probably not be covered by insurance. Plus it could become a hassle when you
sell the house.

Sameer