Old 10-10-2010, 09:08 AM
Registered User

Default Evergreen hedge for a cold garden

Hi, I am looking for a hardy evergreen hedge, that will take temperatures down to -20C and will not dieback or go brown. I would like the hedge to form a windbreak and to provide winter shelter for birds. The site for the hedge is south facing, but partially shaded by tall deciduous trees, and the back of the hedge will be north facing and fully shaded by the trees. The soil is stoney clay, the ideal height for the hedge would be 15-20 ft, but it does not matter if it eventually got taller, and it must not be poisonous to livestock. I know that Holly grows well here, but I already have plenty of this and would like to try something different, Any ideas?
Old 10-10-2010, 05:49 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 08:08:07 +0000, Julian200
wrote:

Hi, I am looking for a hardy evergreen hedge, that will take
temperatures down to -20C and will not dieback or go brown. I would like
the hedge to form a windbreak and to provide winter shelter for birds.
The site for the hedge is south facing, but partially shaded by tall
deciduous trees, and the back of the hedge will be north facing and
fully shaded by the trees. The soil is stoney clay, the ideal height for
the hedge would be 15-20 ft, but it does not matter if it eventually got
taller, and it must not be poisonous to livestock. I know that Holly
grows well here, but I already have plenty of this and would like to try
something different, Any ideas?

Depending on space; Canadian hemlock (can be sheared/pruned) or if
you've the room Norway spruce (just keeps growing larger and taller).

[IMG] code is On

Cold, Cold, Cold Dave Hill United Kingdom 18 12-12-2010 01:29 PM
Advice on plants for new evergreen hedge David United Kingdom 2 16-02-2005 12:19 PM
"Evergreen" Pulmonaria not truly evergreen in warm latitudes? LanscpHort Gardening 3 29-02-2004 02:42 PM
Evergreen Companion Hedge CG Roses 4 19-04-2003 05:08 AM
Evergreen Maxi Spreader and Evergreen weed and feed. Steve S United Kingdom 0 13-04-2003 08:32 PM