Old 19-10-2010, 05:49 PM
Registered User

Default Caterpillar Identification Help please!

Hi,

My son found a caterpillar in the wood next to the house and we are having trouble finding it, I am worried that it maybe an alien species. Unfortunately we did not get a photograph of it. All I can do is describe:

Around 5cm long, mainly green, but when it elongates it shows black segments, it has 3/4 white warty like lumps two thirds the way down it's length from it's head. It has mainly green hairs, but there was a striking red tuft on it's head.

Am I worrying over nothing?

Thanks,

Will
Old 19-10-2010, 05:59 PM
Registered User

Found it....it was a Pale Tussock Moth Caterpillar!
Old 19-10-2010, 10:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 10/19/2010 12:49 PM, tso617 wrote:
Hi,

My son found a caterpillar in the wood next to the house and we are
having trouble finding it, I am worried that it maybe an alien species.
Unfortunately we did not get a photograph of it. All I can do is
describe:

Around 5cm long, mainly green, but when it elongates it shows black
segments, it has 3/4 white warty like lumps two thirds the way down it's
length from it's head. It has mainly green hairs, but there was a
striking red tuft on it's head.

Am I worrying over nothing?

Thanks,

Will

Assuming you are in the UK, do any of these seem similar?

http://www.ispot.org.uk/taxonomy/term/945

Old 19-10-2010, 10:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

tso617 wrote:
Hi,

My son found a caterpillar in the wood next to the house and we are
having trouble finding it, I am worried that it maybe an alien
species. Unfortunately we did not get a photograph of it. All I can
do is describe:

Where did you lose it? Have you looked in the wardrobe? This is where they
hide while waiting to phone home. Send you son to look it may communicate
with him.

Around 5cm long, mainly green, but when it elongates it shows black
segments, it has 3/4 white warty like lumps two thirds the way down
it's length from it's head. It has mainly green hairs, but there was a
striking red tuft on it's head.

If you said where you are it might assist any budding entomologists.

Am I worrying over nothing?

I am not sure. What difference would it make if was or was not an alien
species?

Is there some government agency responsible for control of agricultural
pests etc that you could consult?

David