Old 19-03-2011, 10:11 AM
Registered User

Question ATCO 12/36 lawn tractor help needed

Hi all I am currently restoring an ATCO 12/36 lawn tractor and need some help regarding the belt drive for the collector brush. If anyone can supply photos of the drive belt between the tractor and the brush it would be very useful also the size/identification numbers from this belt. This is the only part now not working as I cant figure out how the belt changes from a horizontal to vertical drive.

Thanks in advance.
Old 19-03-2011, 03:26 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default ATCO 12/36 lawn tractor help needed

oldyellow wrote:

Hi all I am currently restoring an ATCO 12/36 lawn tractor and need some
help regarding the belt drive for the collector brush. If anyone can
supply photos of the drive belt between the tractor and the brush it
would be very useful also the size/identification numbers from this
belt. This is the only part now not working as I cant figure out how the
belt changes from a horizontal to vertical drive.

Perhaps this will help:
http://www.mtmc.co.uk/Atco-TRACTOR-1...__p-23971.aspx
Old 16-04-2011, 04:27 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldyellow View Post
Hi all I am currently restoring an ATCO 12/36 lawn tractor and need some help regarding the belt drive for the collector brush. If anyone can supply photos of the drive belt between the tractor and the brush it would be very useful also the size/identification numbers from this belt. This is the only part now not working as I cant figure out how the belt changes from a horizontal to vertical drive.

Thanks in advance.
I have the same mower the size on the belt is a A 1100 mines keeps jumping of at the moment so I am going to try the next size down it did work last year with that size but something jammed the brush and the belt started slipping after that as to fitting it my mower has the route on the flap that covers the belt if not when it comes of the top of the pulley on the collector it goes round the spring loaded top pulley then across to the drive pulley front side then returns to spring loaded bottom pulley again to the front side with a twist in it to return to the bottom side of the collector pulley hope this helps if not let me know and i could send a photo of it
Old 14-03-2012, 09:08 PM
Registered User

I also have one of these machines, which works fine used as a tractor or as a mower, and am in the process of adapting a Countax grass collector to fit it.
However, I have one problem, which is with the interlocks designed to prevent starting in gear. I've got the wiring diagram, and have pored over it for hours, but it makes no sense. According to the instructions, all the lights should be ON when the m/c is safe to start. But the wiring diagram looks to me as if all the microswitches either ground the lights, so they come on, but isolate the starter, or vice versa. That is, the machine can only start if the lights are OUT, which is what I do. But it would be nice to get it working properly.

Anyone got any ideas?

Dick M.

Old 23-06-2012, 02:30 PM
Registered User

Location: Larne N Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldyellow View Post
Hi all I am currently restoring an ATCO 12/36 lawn tractor and need some help regarding the belt drive for the collector brush. If anyone can supply photos of the drive belt between the tractor and the brush it would be very useful also the size/identification numbers from this belt. This is the only part now not working as I cant figure out how the belt changes from a horizontal to vertical drive.

Thanks in advance.
Hello
I have just bought the 12/36 without sweeper
I have a set of photocopied instructions for the sweeper but no manual for the mower - I don't mind scanning them and emailing - can anyone help with the tractor manual?
best regards Matthew
Old 31-08-2013, 08:22 PM
Registered User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldyellow View Post
Thanks I already have that site and it shows ALMOST everything but does not show the arrangement for the rear drive belt for the brush
Hi

I know this is an old thread but there is not much out there on the net re Atco mowers....so hope there is still someone watching this. (plus I have never used a forum before so apologies if this is the wrong place to start..!)

I have just acquired an Atco 12 36. I wont say I am restoring it, as 'reviving it' would be more accurate. The engine now runs again (better without water in the tank & a clean new spark plug), the cutter blades are sharp and the deck and everything else has been wire brushed, ku- rusted and painted with hammerite. On the downside, no electric start and no reverse for some reason.

The next step is to do as OLDYELLOW and acquire a powered grass collector and then disturb the spiders nesting in the back of the tractor to add a new pulley belt and find out how to drive the collector.

I don't have a manual so can anyone out there help with answers to:
1. What makes those pulleys at the back turn?
2. How do you attach the Atco grass collector (when you find one...)

By the way ...is the engine supposed to surge in the way mine does, like a pulse every second? (single cylinder effect presumably?)

Thanks in anticipation to fellow fans of the little green machine.
Old 16-04-2017, 08:49 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhouse View Post
Hello
I have just bought the 12/36 without sweeper
I have a set of photocopied instructions for the sweeper but no manual for the mower - I don't mind scanning them and emailing - can anyone help with the tractor manual?
best regards Matthew
I have found a mower manual and am looking for the sweeper manual, happy to scan and swap if your still after one.
Old 25-04-2017, 10:43 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiny1664 View Post
I have found a mower manual and am looking for the sweeper manual, happy to scan and swap if your still after one.
Having just acquired an atco 12/36 with no paperwork I would be super keen for a copy of that manual! Excuse my ignorance for being a new user to forums but how do I safely give you my email address without opening up an avenue for spam?

Cheers
Old 30-04-2017, 08:14 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandOfTrees View Post
Having just acquired an atco 12/36 with no paperwork I would be super keen for a copy of that manual! Excuse my ignorance for being a new user to forums but how do I safely give you my email address without opening up an avenue for spam?

Cheers
British Lawnmower Museum
This is where i i found them for sale, photo copy but a good one.
Hope this helps!!

Old 30-04-2017, 08:18 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandOfTrees View Post
Having just acquired an atco 12/36 with no paperwork I would be super keen for a copy of that manual! Excuse my ignorance for being a new user to forums but how do I safely give you my email address without opening up an avenue for spam?

Cheers
If you want to send a private message just click on the user name above said message.
Old 11-07-2017, 09:46 AM
Registered User

Default Atco 12/36

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandOfTrees View Post
Having just acquired an atco 12/36 with no paperwork I would be super keen for a copy of that manual! Excuse my ignorance for being a new user to forums but how do I safely give you my email address without opening up an avenue for spam?

Cheers
I have a copy of the Atco lawn tractor manual, covers most models 11/36 etc, would this be any good for you
Old 05-06-2021, 06:45 PM posted to rec.gardens

Hi,

I know this is an old post but i can’t find anything on the internet about what the BELT specification is (or a part number) for the DRIVE belt to the grass collector and yours is one of the only posts! I dont suppose you still have any info on which belt fits the power-take-off to the grass collector at the back of the atco 1236 please - or an equivalent belt that does the job! Any info would be gratefully received! Thanks, Dave

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/garden...ded-95753-.htm

Old 05-06-2021, 07:11 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sat, 5 Jun 2021 16:45:02 +0000, ATCO 1236 owner
wrote:

Hi,

I know this is an old post but i can’t find anything on the internet
about what the BELT specification is (or a part number)
for the DRIVE belt to the grass collector and yours is one of the only posts!
I dont suppose you still have any info on which belt fits the power-take-off
to the grass collector at the back of the atco 1236 please -
or an equivalent belt that does the job!
Any info would be gratefully received! Thanks, Dave

My quick google search found this -
for a sweeper - not grass-catcher ...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mappupff0a...s0001.pdf?dl=0

from this forum :

https://www.oldlawnmowerclub.co.uk/f...ractor-manuals

Not sure how active the forum is but you might try posting your
question there - it seems like a useful place.
Good luck.
John T.

Old 05-06-2021, 07:38 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sat, 5 Jun 2021 16:45:02 +0000
ATCO 1236 owner wrote:

Hi,

I know this is an old post but i can’t find anything on the internet about what the BELT specification is (or a part number) for the DRIVE belt to the grass collector and yours is one of the only posts! I dont suppose you still have any info on which belt fits the power-take-off to the grass collector at the back of the atco 1236 please - or an equivalent belt that does the job! Any info would be gratefully received! Thanks, Dave

Manual for the 11/36 can be found here at bottom of page:

https://oldlawnmowerclub.co.uk/makehelp/atco/opmanuals

Both of these parts suppliers say the toothed belt for the mower deck
is no longer available:

https://www.ransomspares.co.uk/parts...elt/501168.htm

https://www.powertoolspares.com/atco...6l80188/spares

If you have any sort of belt left measure around the outside of it.
Measure the side to side thickness and then use those numbers to search
for a generic replacement close enough to work.

None of the part number entries I saw mention the actual belt
dimensions. The Atco part number seems to be "L24812".

Hmm... this looks interesting:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ATCO-TRACTO...-/203024449507

Doesn't say whether it's for the mower deck or drive box though...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

[IMG] code is On

Atco B14 Help grebby01 Lawns 1 01-07-2014 04:32 PM
Atco 12 36 - not much info out there - need help! SteveL1212 Lawns 0 02-09-2013 02:18 PM
atco lawn mower ad rock Lawns 0 14-03-2013 07:35 PM
ATCO Lawn Mower DickieD Lawns 1 28-06-2012 11:55 AM
Atco Lawn Mowers?? Douglas Hageman United Kingdom 4 25-03-2003 08:44 PM