Old 25-02-2003, 02:27 AM
Tim

Default Help: sick ponytail palm, yellow/brown leaves

I've grown the two ponytail palms from seed. They are on the same
window sill (south-facing, but only gets direct morning sun due to
buildings in the way). The larger plant isn't doing very well. The
newer leaves are yellow and brownish, and it keeps getting worse. It
is potted in all-purpose potting soil (repotted less than 1 year ago)
which dries out between waterings.

I thought the issue might be lack of nutrients, although the sick
plant is in fresh soil (less than a year old) while the other has been
in the same smaller pot for about 3 years. I water them both with
Schultz all-purpose plant food. But the situation just keeps getting
worse.

If anyone has any idea what the problem might be, please email me. I
think I'm going to replace the potting soil.

You can see pics of the plant at
http://home.earthlink.net/~mysickplant/index.html
Old 25-02-2003, 06:16 AM
Maryanne

Default sick ponytail palm, yellow/brown leaves

I have five in my garden - one giant old one - taller than I am with a base
around a meter in diameter, the others are small ones that I have planted
myself. They like to be neglected & can survive for long periods without
water, even out of the soil. I don't give mine special care - lust leave
them to get on with it - it may be that you are coddling yours too much.

Maryanne
om...

Old 25-02-2003, 02:51 PM
Cereoid+10+

First of all the so-called "Ponytail Palm", Beaucarnea recurvata, is not a
palm but is instead a desert plant with a swollen bottle-shaped trunk
(pachycaul). Morning sun is not enough for the plant. Move it to a south or
west facing window instead. It will grow better in a more graveley soil mix
that drains quickly and does not stay moist. A constantly moist humusy soil
is bad for desert plants. Let the plants go dry between waterings. Also hold
back on the fertilizer. Quarter strength once a month is good enough.

http://www.plantoftheweek.org/week191.shtml

(BTW, Beaucarnea is in the family Nolinaceae not the Agavaceae.)

om...

Old 25-02-2003, 03:51 PM
Marley1372

Hey ceriod! I dont think anyone asked if ponytail palm was a real plam or not,
and they sure didnt ask where it came from. Why do you use this newsgroup to
boost your ego? All of your posts start with the sentence.."first of all"
blah blah blah. You can either answer the queestions and get on with it, or
you can shut your mouth if you have nothing good to say.

Toad

[IMG] code is On

Ponytail Palm~help! isabel Gardening 7 22-04-2006 04:36 AM
Q. ponytail palm lost it's top, bad shape TOM KAN PA Gardening 0 19-01-2004 11:20 PM
Ponytail palm in flower - is this usual Richard Sherratt Australia 1 05-04-2003 06:36 AM
Bloody Hot (Was: Ponytail palm in flower - is this usual) Gerard Australia 2 05-04-2003 06:35 AM
Reply to meddling toady (was: Help: sick ponytail palm, yellow/brown leaves) Cereoid+10+ Gardening 1 26-02-2003 12:39 AM