Old 12-08-2011, 09:23 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Baby tree already budding!

I put in two young fruit trees a few months ago. An apricot, and one
month later, a plum.

Yesterday I saw blooms all over the plum! Sweet little tree, just a
baby, already trying to procreate!

I assume there won't be fruit this year...but you have to hand it to
the plum for trying.

I just found this so touching!

HB
Old 12-08-2011, 10:31 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Fri, 12 Aug 2011 13:23:02 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson
wrote:

I put in two young fruit trees a few months ago. An apricot, and one
month later, a plum.

Yesterday I saw blooms all over the plum! Sweet little tree, just a
baby, already trying to procreate!

I assume there won't be fruit this year...but you have to hand it to
the plum for trying.

I just found this so touching!

Plum trees really need a pollinator, you should have planted two
different plum trees. And there is a good chance your plum and
apricot trees will cross pollinate and produce pluots. Newly planted
stone fruit will usually blossom the first year but may not fruit for
4-5 years. I planted two different plum trees four years ago, they
blossomed each year but this is the first year one produced plums.
Old 14-08-2011, 03:22 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:
I put in two young fruit trees a few months ago. *An apricot, and one
month later, a plum.

Yesterday I saw blooms all over the plum! *Sweet little tree, just a
baby, already trying to procreate!

I assume there won't be fruit this year...but you have to hand it to
the plum for trying.

I just found this so touching!

Plum trees really need a pollinator, you should have planted two
different plum trees. *And there is a good chance your plum and
apricot trees will cross pollinate and produce pluots. *Newly planted
stone fruit will usually blossom the first year but may not fruit for
4-5 years. *I planted two different plum trees four years ago, they
blossomed each year but this is the first year one produced plums.

I had the same combo -- plum and apricot -- for years at approx same
distance apart. They produced true fruit. When they had to be sent
to fruit heaven, I should have IMMEDIATELY replanted. Instead I let
too many years ago by. So I hope I'm still around when they produce
fruit.

[IMG] code is On

2 baby koi, 1 baby plant ~ janj Ponds 6 14-05-2006 12:42 AM
[IBC] Back Budding Ben Griffin Bonsai 25 14-03-2004 11:43 PM
Root cutts budding Theo Bonsai 0 20-05-2003 07:20 PM
Blueberries 1st year de-budding Tim B Edible Gardening 11 06-05-2003 02:21 AM
[IBC] Olive, Olea europea back budding. Alicia Thompson Bonsai 9 09-02-2003 08:01 AM