Old 11-09-2011, 09:30 PM
Registered User

Default What can I grow in a 1" wide, 4" deep hole?

hi guys!

I know nothing about gardening and my back garden is just concrete

In the middle though is a hole where a rotary clothesline was.

It's full of mud and so a small weed has grown in it, lovely!

What can I plant in its place, I want the biggest/tallest thing possible.

It's for a bit of a laugh and not expecting much but anything better than a weed would be good

1" wide, 4" deep. Suggestions?

Thanks guys!

Leigh
Old 11-09-2011, 10:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

lellis2k wrote:

hi guys!

I know nothing about gardening and my back garden is just concrete

In the middle though is a hole where a rotary clothesline was.

It's full of mud and so a small weed has grown in it, lovely!

What can I plant in its place, I want the biggest/tallest thing
possible.

It's for a bit of a laugh and not expecting much but anything better
than a weed would be good

1" wide, 4" deep. Suggestions?

Fill with K-Y and have at it... wait and see what sprouts.
Old 12-09-2011, 12:03 AM posted to rec.gardens

lellis2k wrote:
hi guys!

I know nothing about gardening and my back garden is just concrete

In the middle though is a hole where a rotary clothesline was.

It's full of mud and so a small weed has grown in it, lovely!

What can I plant in its place, I want the biggest/tallest thing
possible.

It's for a bit of a laugh and not expecting much but anything better
than a weed would be good

1" wide, 4" deep. Suggestions?

Thanks guys!

Leigh

Nothing much. There is too little room for roots to develop and it will get
baked dry whenever it is hot or the sun is on it. You might get some small
plant to grow in it that is suitable for rockeries etc, that is one that
will stand drying out but it won't look very interesting. Get some good
sized pots or tubs instead.

David

Old 12-09-2011, 01:15 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 9/11/11 1:30 PM, lellis2k wrote:
hi guys!

I know nothing about gardening and my back garden is just concrete

In the middle though is a hole where a rotary clothesline was.

It's full of mud and so a small weed has grown in it, lovely!

What can I plant in its place, I want the biggest/tallest thing
possible.

It's for a bit of a laugh and not expecting much but anything better
than a weed would be good

1" wide, 4" deep. Suggestions?

Thanks guys!

Leigh

Where are you? What is your climate? Even in the UK, there are
significant variations in climate between the north and south and
between the Channel and the Irish Sea.

Also, what is below the 4"? More concrete, dirt, gravel?

This is NOT an impossible situation. I have some nice plants growing --
and flowering -- in small spaces.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
Old 12-09-2011, 01:50 AM posted to rec.gardens
Nad Nad is offline

lellis2k wrote:
hi guys!

I know nothing about gardening and my back garden is just concrete

In the middle though is a hole where a rotary clothesline was.

It's full of mud and so a small weed has grown in it, lovely!

What can I plant in its place, I want the biggest/tallest thing
possible.

It's for a bit of a laugh and not expecting much but anything better
than a weed would be good

1" wide, 4" deep. Suggestions?

Thanks guys!

Leigh

A plant called "Hens and Chicks" may work?

http://www.ehow.com/how_5112348_care...cks-plant.html

--
Nad

Old 12-09-2011, 01:55 AM posted to rec.gardens
Nad Nad is offline

Nad wrote:
lellis2k wrote:
hi guys!

I know nothing about gardening and my back garden is just concrete

In the middle though is a hole where a rotary clothesline was.

It's full of mud and so a small weed has grown in it, lovely!

What can I plant in its place, I want the biggest/tallest thing
possible.

It's for a bit of a laugh and not expecting much but anything better
than a weed would be good

1" wide, 4" deep. Suggestions?

Thanks guys!

Leigh

A plant called "Hens and Chicks" may work?

http://www.ehow.com/how_5112348_care...cks-plant.html

Try this again, link seemed not work.
However, one inch wide is not much room. Could try planting a seed and see
what happens.

Ok again a different link for he's and chicks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hen_and_chicks

--
Nad
Old 12-09-2011, 05:03 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Sep 11, 1:30*pm, lellis2k
wrote:
hi guys!

I know nothing about gardening and my back garden is just concrete

In the middle though is a hole where a rotary clothesline was.

It's full of mud and so a small weed has grown in it, lovely!

What can I plant in its place, I want the biggest/tallest thing
possible.

It's for a bit of a laugh and not expecting much but anything better
than a weed would be good

1" wide, 4" deep. Suggestions?

Thanks guys!

Leigh

--
lellis2k

Can't you break up some of the concrete around the hole? Give you a
lot more scope for choice of plants.

HB
Old 13-09-2011, 12:09 PM
Registered User

Location: Norwich
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by lellis2k View Post
hi guys!

I know nothing about gardening and my back garden is just concrete

In the middle though is a hole where a rotary clothesline was.

It's full of mud and so a small weed has grown in it, lovely!

What can I plant in its place, I want the biggest/tallest thing possible.

It's for a bit of a laugh and not expecting much but anything better than a weed would be good

1" wide, 4" deep. Suggestions?

Thanks guys!

Leigh
A sycamore seedling will grow anywhere and grow very quickly and they are everywhere in the spring + it will be free!

7cm Square Pots with Trays | Pot Tastic
http://pot-tastic.co.uk/

We've got lots of pots!