GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   The toughest grass in the world? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/199546-toughest-grass-world.html)

Stu L 31-08-2011 06:48 PM

The toughest grass in the world?

Hi guys,

I'm Stu and I'm trying to find some advice. I wasn't sure where to look, but thought some of you guys might be able to help?
My problem surrounds grass, as per the title.

I'm part of a local club the run electric radio control cars on a grass track. On a normal club meet, the cars take quite a toll on the grass. It gets slightly discoloured where the track has been and ruts up in places where drivers apply the power. However it usually recovers well as we only use it once a fortnight.
The real trouble comes when we hold big regional meetings. 120 Drives soon destroys the place.

I was hoping to find some ideas on what we can do with the grass. Some parts of the track have been astro turfed, however keeping the grass is what attracts the drivers, so we don't want to cover the whole thing.
Does anyone have any experience with extreemly high wear areas or indeed any suggestions on either helping stop the ground rutting up in the first place, or helping the ground recover?

Thanks in advance
Stu

zxcvbob 31-08-2011 11:26 PM

Stu L wrote:
[...]

The toughest turf grass is probably Bahia, but it's a warm season
grass so it might not be useful for you.

-Bob

David Hare-Scott[_2_] 31-08-2011 11:30 PM

Stu L wrote:
[...]

There is no perfect solution to this. While some grasses are more durable
than others heavy traffic will always chew up grass. I think you are stuck
with the rutting. You can make the best of it by making conditions so that
it grows well and recovers as soon as possible. This involves loosening
campaction, appropriate feeding and watering, replacing very damaged areas
with new sods, etc. If you can avoid holding meetings while the grass is
dormant in winter or the ground is wet then do so. Try to get a greenkeeper
interested in model cars.

David

Brooklyn1 01-09-2011 02:44 AM

The toughest grass in the world?

On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 16:48:15 +0000, Stu L
wrote:

[...]

Grow hay. Hay is ten times tougher and grows ten times faster than
common turf grasses and when mowed at a two inch length looks as good
if not better than any lawn. The only negatives are that hay is
coarse, not very comfortable to walk on barefoot... but would probably
work well for racing toy cars... and you'd need to mow it every other
day at a minimum, during hot wet weather mow every day.

David Hare-Scott[_2_] 01-09-2011 04:38 AM

wrote:

[...]

What grass species are characteristic of those cut for hay that are not
found in common turf grasses? What specifically is hay seed so that the OP
can buy it?

zxcvbob 01-09-2011 05:53 AM

David Hare-Scott wrote:
Brooklyn1 wrote:

Grow hay. Hay is ten times tougher and grows ten times faster than
common turf grasses and when mowed at a two inch length looks as
good if not better than any lawn. The only negatives are that hay
is coarse, not very comfortable to walk on barefoot... but would
probably work well for racing toy cars... and you'd need to mow it
every other day at a minimum, during hot wet weather mow every day.

What grass species are characteristic of those cut for hay that are
not found in common turf grasses? What specifically is hay seed so
that the OP can buy it?

Orchard grass, tall fescue, Coastal bermudagrass, bahiagrass, etc.
Tall-growing coarse grasses, but you probably don't want Johnsongrass
(and probably not red clover nor alfalfa.) Some white clover mixed in
wouldn't be bad.

-Bob

Nad 01-09-2011 06:41 AM

zxcvbob wrote:
David Hare-Scott wrote:
Brooklyn1 wrote:
Grow hay. Hay is ten times tougher and grows ten times faster than
common turf grasses and when mowed at a two inch length looks as
good if not better than any lawn. The only negatives are that hay
is coarse, not very comfortable to walk on barefoot... but would
probably work well for racing toy cars... and you'd need to mow it
every other day at a minimum, during hot wet weather mow every day.
What grass species are characteristic of those cut for hay that are

not found in common turf grasses? What specifically is hay seed so
that the OP can buy it?

Orchard grass, tall fescue, Coastal bermudagrass, bahiagrass, etc.
Tall-growing coarse grasses, but you probably don't want Johnsongrass
(and probably not red clover nor alfalfa.) Some white clover mixed in
wouldn't be bad.

-Bob

There is also "Kentucky 31" a tough broad leaf bright green tall fescue
grass that is also used for cow pastures a very hardy grass. Must mow it
often and one can also walk on it with bare feet... Also a very low cost
grass about $30 US for a fifty pound bag. "timothy grass" is also another
one great for hay fields, cow pastures and a tough lawn.

You will need a really good lawn mower with blades kept sharp. If you let
it grow tall it will bog down a cheap low powered mower.

--
Nad

Billy[_10_] 01-09-2011 07:10 AM

The toughest grass in the world?

In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

David Hare-Scott wrote:
Brooklyn1 wrote:

Grow hay. Hay is ten times tougher and grows ten times faster than
common turf grasses and when mowed at a two inch length looks as
good if not better than any lawn. The only negatives are that hay
is coarse, not very comfortable to walk on barefoot... but would
probably work well for racing toy cars... and you'd need to mow it
every other day at a minimum, during hot wet weather mow every day.

What grass species are characteristic of those cut for hay that are
not found in common turf grasses? What specifically is hay seed so
that the OP can buy it?

Orchard grass, tall fescue, Coastal bermudagrass, bahiagrass, etc.
Tall-growing coarse grasses, but you probably don't want Johnsongrass
(and probably not red clover nor alfalfa.) Some white clover mixed in
wouldn't be bad.

-Bob

Why the preference for white clover?
--
- Billy
Both the House and Senate budget plan would have cut Social Security and Medicare, while cutting taxes on the wealthy.

Kucinich noted that none of the government programs targeted for
elimination or severe cutback in House Republican spending plans
"appeared on the GAO's list of government programs at high risk of
waste, fraud and abuse."
http://www.politifact.com/ohio/state...is-kucinich/re
p-dennis-kucinich-says-gop-budget-cuts-dont-targ/

[W]e have the situation with the deficit and the debt and spending and jobs. And itıs not that difficult to get out of it. The first thing you do is you get rid of corporate welfare. Thatıs hundreds of billions of dollars a year. The second is you tax corporations so that they donıt get away with no taxation.
- Ralph Nader
http://www.democracynow.org/2011/7/19/ralph_naders_solution_to_debt_crisis

zxcvbob 01-09-2011 03:29 PM

The toughest grass in the world?

Billy wrote:
In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

David Hare-Scott wrote:
Brooklyn1 wrote:
[...]

It hugs the ground. Red clover is upright; you wouldn't be able to mow it.

bob

Brooklyn1 01-09-2011 08:13 PM

The toughest grass in the world?

wrote:

[...]

Can't be specific without knowing the OP's location but this is a good
resource: http://hayandforage.com/ar/Hay-Prices-Resources/
Best is to check at the local agri seed, feed and grain emporium, ie.
Agway. They will likely recommend a blend.

David Hare-Scott[_2_] 02-09-2011 12:05 AM

The toughest grass in the world?

zxcvbob wrote:
Billy wrote:
In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

David Hare-Scott wrote:
Brooklyn1 wrote:
[...]

But we are after tough species that will take foot and wheel traffic, clover
doesn't fit that. If we were establishing a pasture it would be different.

David

lighting123 06-09-2011 10:24 AM

Grow hay. Hay is ten occasions harder and develops ten occasions faster than common turf grasses so when freshly mowed in a two inch length appears to be good otherwise much better than any lawn. The only real disadvantages are that hay is coarse, not so comfortable just to walk on barefoot... but would most likely work nicely for racing toy cars... and you'd have to mow it every second day at least, throughout hot wet weather mow every single day.

robinsonstellar 13-09-2011 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stu L (Post 934879)
[...]

As many persons told above and gave many options to you for opting, similarly I would also like to suggest you that Hay is also a very good option as one member told above, Hay is ten times tougher and grows ten times faster than other common grasses.

Tall fescue, bahiagrass, Orchard grass, Coastal bermudagrass and Kentucky 31 are also some other options which you may consider.

KY-blue grass and Playground grass can also be useful, ask some persons who take care of the football, tennis, cricket lawn what grass do they use, as such grass are also very tuff as the matches are held so frequently here and the grass here tolerate so much pressure created by the players. So you can also grow such types of grass in your lawn. Just search in google for tennis lawn grass or football lawn grass, etc. I will also suggest you choose K-31 or Hay grass.

If it is possible the try to get all the cars parked outside the park, it will also be helpful for you. So now you have so many choices, make your choice and opt for the one which suits your requirements like climate conditions, etc.