Old 03-04-2012, 09:45 AM
Registered User

Default seed failure

having grown seeds saved from last years plants and alway using a good seed compost we have hardly any appear. been doing this for years so not a novice any suggestions would be welcome seeds are rudbeckia cosmos and marigolds so nothing temperamental there
Old 03-04-2012, 06:07 PM
Registered User

Maybe you were too anxious and got the seeds before they dried properly. Marigolds should be simple.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 3 Apr 2012 08:45:54 +0000, candy girl wrote:

having grown seeds saved from last years plants and alway using a good
seed compost we have hardly any appear. been doing this for years so not
a novice any suggestions would be welcome seeds are rudbeckia cosmos and
marigolds so nothing temperamental there

Have you got enough to try sprouting them in sand or in rolled paper towels?
Then you can see if you've got a seed disease or empty (no embryo) vs. dormant
seed in your conditions. Nonviable seed will rot in a few days to a few weeks;
dormant seed will sit there and just refuse to grow.

Kay

Old 03-04-2012, 11:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 4/3/12 1:45 AM, candy girl wrote:
having grown seeds saved from last years plants and alway using a good
seed compost we have hardly any appear. been doing this for years so not
a novice any suggestions would be welcome seeds are rudbeckia cosmos and
marigolds so nothing temperamental there

I assume you are trying to start the seeds in pots, flats, or other
containers. Instead of a compost, use a mix of half coarse sand and
half peat moss. If the seeds are planted near the surface of a
container that is not very shallow, put the compost in the bottom half
and the sand and peat moss mix in the top half.

Nutrients in compost promote mold and rot, abetted by the fungi that
create compost. On the other hand, peat moss inhibits mold and rot. If
you can get the seeds to sprout in the sand and peat moss mix, their
roots will grow down into the compost when they are ready to take up
nutrients.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
Old 04-04-2012, 12:58 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Apr 3, 3:46*pm, "David E. Ross" wrote:
[...]

I was wondering this group is about?

Thanks

Old 04-04-2012, 01:02 AM posted to rec.gardens

[...]

Whats This group about?
Thanks
Old 04-04-2012, 03:20 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
candy girl writes:

having grown seeds saved from last years plants and alway using a good
seed compost we have hardly any appear. been doing this for years so not
a novice any suggestions would be welcome seeds are rudbeckia cosmos and
marigolds so nothing temperamental there

My first attempt at harvesting seed was from marigolds.
Not a single seed germinated.

Some time later, I realized that the plants I harvested from were
a triploid variety -- 100% infertile. I felt really stupid.

--
Drew Lawson | And to those who lack the courage
Old 04-04-2012, 08:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

cj carter writes:

On Apr 3, 3:46Â*pm, "David E. Ross" wrote:
On 4/3/12 1:45 AM, candy girl wrote:

having grown seeds saved from last years plants and alway using a good
seed compost we have hardly any appear. been doing this for years so not
a novice any suggestions would be welcome seeds are rudbeckia cosmos and
marigolds so nothing temperamental there

I assume you are trying to start the seeds in pots, flats, or other
containers. Â*Instead of a compost, use a mix of half coarse sand and
half peat moss. Â*If the seeds are planted near the surface of a
container that is not very shallow, put the compost in the bottom half
and the sand and peat moss mix in the top half.

Nutrients in compost promote mold and rot, abetted by the fungi that
create compost. Â*On the other hand, peat moss inhibits mold and rot. Â*If
you can get the seeds to sprout in the sand and peat moss mix, their
roots will grow down into the compost when they are ready to take up
nutrients.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: Â*California Mediterranean, see

I was wondering this group is about?

rec.gardens?

It's about wrecking gardens.
Read and see...

No seriously, the "rec." prefix is "recreation".

--
Dan Espen
Old 04-04-2012, 11:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

cj carter wrote:

I was wondering this group is about?

Thanks

I will tell you provided you explain why you asked. Who is it that says to
a group of individuals go to this newsgroup and post this silly question?

Old 04-04-2012, 11:07 PM posted to rec.gardens

cjboss wrote:
[...]

More to the point why do have to ask twice within a few minutes?