Euphorbia nursery

Old 19-10-2012, 06:17 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Euphorbia nursery

Per earlier message, I finally pruned my two Euphorbias (drooping off
pots on back porch), and took cuttings. Let them sit in water a week
or so, and today planted them in a "nursery".

It IS mid-October, so I suppose I can't expect fast action, even in
mild So.Calif coastal climate.

Just curious if anybody has had luck with this kind of operation.

HB
Old 19-10-2012, 04:14 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 18 Oct 2012 22:17:57 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson
wrote:

Per earlier message, I finally pruned my two Euphorbias (drooping off
pots on back porch), and took cuttings. Let them sit in water a week
or so, and today planted them in a "nursery".

It IS mid-October, so I suppose I can't expect fast action, even in
mild So.Calif coastal climate.

Just curious if anybody has had luck with this kind of operation.

HB

I have maybe 8-10 euphies....I love them, but have never tried water
rooting. From what I hear, they need to be dried out for a few days
after the initial baptism.

http://miami-dade.ifas.ufl.edu/old/p...production.PDF

I have had some delightful volunteers over the years, though, and
assume they have come up from flowers that have gone to seed. I just
discovered one when I was tidying up the deck for the season a few
days ago. At some point the pot I pulled the gerberas from exposed an
itty-bitty crown-of-thorns growing at the edge. It is being pampered
now.

Boron
Old 20-10-2012, 06:04 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:
Per earlier message, I finally pruned my two Euphorbias (drooping off
pots on back porch), and took cuttings. *Let them sit in water a week
or so, and today planted them in a "nursery".

It IS mid-October, so I suppose I can't expect fast action, even in
mild So.Calif coastal climate.

Just curious if anybody has had luck with this kind of operation.

HB

I have maybe 8-10 euphies....I love them, but have never tried water
rooting. From what I hear, they need to be dried out for a few days
after the initial baptism.

http://miami-dade.ifas.ufl.edu/old/p...lications/crow...

****OMG, looks like I did things bass-ackwards!

Thanks for that very useful Web site.

***I do have another batch from pruning the 2nd pot, so will try to
root them the recommended way, and will watch the results with
scientific interest.

I have had some delightful volunteers over the years, though, and
assume they have come up from flowers that have gone to seed. I just
discovered one when I was tidying up the deck for the season a few
days ago. At some point the pot I pulled the gerberas from exposed an
itty-bitty crown-of-thorns growing at the edge. It is being pampered
now.

***Does sound absolutely delightful. Congrats on rescuing the "baby"!

HB

Old 21-10-2012, 12:56 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Per earlier message, I finally pruned my two Euphorbias (drooping off
pots on back porch), and took cuttings. Let them sit in water a week
or so, and today planted them in a "nursery".

It IS mid-October, so I suppose I can't expect fast action, even in
mild So.Calif coastal climate.

Just curious if anybody has had luck with this kind of operation.

HB

I always get a few Euphorbia myrsinites volunteers. They move when
small but I've never had any luck moving bigger ones..tried rooting
cuttings with no luck.