Old 27-07-2014, 07:11 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Most nutritious potatoes?

Recently read that potatoes with "yellow" flesh are more nutritious. At Farmers
Market yesterday, asked potato guy. He agreed, but added that the MOST nutritious (can't remember what is the good stuff) were the purple fleshed ones.

Is this similar to Nature's continuum in leafy vegs? The darker the better?

(I bought a few just to see if I would get turned off by purple potato flesh. Not yet eaten. Stay tuned g).

HB
Old 27-07-2014, 07:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 27 Jul 2014 11:11:05 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson
wrote:

Recently read that potatoes with "yellow" flesh are more nutritious. At Farmers
Market yesterday, asked potato guy. He agreed, but added that the MOST nutritious (can't remember what is the good stuff) were the purple fleshed ones.

Is this similar to Nature's continuum in leafy vegs? The darker the better?

(I bought a few just to see if I would get turned off by purple potato flesh. Not yet eaten. Stay tuned g).

HB

Regardless the color if you pare away the skins essentially all the
nutrition remaining is starch. And since other than starch potato
nutrition is for the most part in the skin flesh color is meaningless.
Old 27-07-2014, 10:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Recently read that potatoes with "yellow" flesh are more nutritious.
At Farmers
Market yesterday, asked potato guy. He agreed, but added that the
MOST nutritious (can't remember what is the good stuff) were the
purple fleshed ones.

Is this similar to Nature's continuum in leafy vegs? The darker the
better?

(I bought a few just to see if I would get turned off by purple
potato flesh. Not yet eaten. Stay tuned g).

HB

Regardless the color if you pare away the skins essentially all the
nutrition remaining is starch. And since other than starch potato
nutrition is for the most part in the skin flesh color is meaningless.

Seems about right. Some definition of 'nutritious' would also be helpful.
Is the one with the most vitamins and minerals, most starch or lowest GI
the most nutritious?

--
David

A better world requires a daily struggle
against those who would mislead us.

Old 28-07-2014, 12:06 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

Been trying to remember what potato guy said. ISTR it was anti-oxidant (sp) content? Would that make sense?

That's why I asked y'all if there was a parallel with green veg - supposedly the darker the better. Sounds like your answer is No. ?

potato peel, if most nutrition is in the skin -- you said rest of potato is largely starch -- most potatoes are HEAVILY treated (see link) and most pesticide ends up in the skin, is there any percentage in buying "organic"??

\http://rocketswag.com/gardening/Pest...Pesticide.html

HB
Old 28-07-2014, 02:45 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 28/07/2014 4:11 AM, Higgs Boson wrote:
Recently read that potatoes with "yellow" flesh are more nutritious. At Farmers
Market yesterday, asked potato guy. He agreed, but added that the MOST nutritious (can't remember what is the good stuff) were the purple fleshed ones.

I've never heard that before.

Is this similar to Nature's continuum in leafy vegs? The darker the better?

(I bought a few just to see if I would get turned off by purple potato flesh. Not yet eaten. Stay tuned g).

Of the purple spuds, the only ones I've grown are Purple Congo. They
are superb in terms of floury delicousness. They are best IMO served if
cooked by steaming and then serving up with just butter.

Old 28-07-2014, 03:51 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Sunday, July 27, 2014 6:45:43 PM UTC-7, Fran Farmer wrote:
On 28/07/2014 4:11 AM, Higgs Boson wrote:

Recently read that potatoes with "yellow" flesh are more nutritious. At Farmers

Market yesterday, asked potato guy. He agreed, but added that the MOST nutritious (can't remember what is the good stuff) were the purple fleshed ones.

I've never heard that before.

Is this similar to Nature's continuum in leafy vegs? The darker the better?

(I bought a few just to see if I would get turned off by purple potato flesh. Not yet eaten. Stay tuned g).

Of the purple spuds, the only ones I've grown are Purple Congo. They

are superb in terms of floury delicousness. They are best IMO served if

cooked by steaming and then serving up with just butter.

(SFX) lips smacking.

I usually nuke potatoes/veggies in the micro with just a dash of water. Esp. with veggies, so I've heard, a lot of the vitamins, etc. good stuff, goes into the water & is thrown out.

Some people that cook a lot save the water; too much trouble pour moi; I'd just rather nuke in micro.

HB

Old 28-07-2014, 01:38 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 28 Jul 2014 11:45:43 +1000, Fran Farmer
wrote:

On 28/07/2014 4:11 AM, Higgs Boson wrote:
Recently read that potatoes with "yellow" flesh are more nutritious. At Farmers
Market yesterday, asked potato guy. He agreed, but added that the MOST nutritious (can't remember what is the good stuff) were the purple fleshed ones.

I've never heard that before.

Is this similar to Nature's continuum in leafy vegs? The darker the better?

(I bought a few just to see if I would get turned off by purple potato flesh. Not yet eaten. Stay tuned g).

Of the purple spuds, the only ones I've grown are Purple Congo. They
are superb in terms of floury delicousness. They are best IMO served if
cooked by steaming and then serving up with just butter.

Do Pringles count? Did you know that the US consumes most spuds as
dehys... ALL fast food fries and MOST restaurant fries, and ALL
stupidmarket frozen fries are dehys, extruded. Most restaurant mashed
are dehys, as are most mashed eaten at home... and now there are
frozen mashed, becoming very popular in their many flavors, also
dehys.

My favorite potato is red bliss, perfect for salads, stews/soups, and
roasted (no need to pare but remove eyes). For baked in jackets only
russets will do... never eat restaurant baked, they don't scrub them.
I don't care for Yukon gold, they leave a sweet after taste. If I had
to choose a favorite way to cook potatoes it's roasted; pare, slice in
wedges, coat with vegetable oil, season with s n'p, pan roast at 375ºF
for about an hour or until crisp and golden brown.
http://i58.tinypic.com/2cmodxt.jpg
If watching your weight this is dangerous as you won't be able to stop
eating:
http://www.ruths-kitchen.com/recipes...potatonik.html
Old 28-07-2014, 03:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

Higgs Boson said:
Recently read that potatoes with "yellow" flesh are more nutritious.
At Farmers Market yesterday, asked potato guy. He agreed, but
added that the MOST nutritious (can't remember
what is the good stuff) were the purple fleshed ones.

Is this similar to Nature's continuum in leafy vegs? The darker the
better?

Yes, pretty much the rule of thumb with fruits and vegetables is
more color, more nutrients.

There are red-fleshed potatoes that might be nearly as nutritious
as the purple.

(I bought a few just to see if I would get turned off by purple potato
flesh. Not yet eaten. Stay tuned g).

Steam or microwave, sear them in a cast iron skillet with a little oil
of your choice along with some garlic and herbs, then pop the
skillet in the oven to brown them. I assure you, you won't be
thinking about the color when you eat them!

Add some cubed, steamed sweet potatoes to the mix and you will
*really* have a phytonutrient celebration.
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."

email valid but not regularly monitored

Old 29-07-2014, 08:41 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 29/07/2014 12:03 AM, Pat Kiewicz wrote:
Higgs Boson said:
[...]

Tonight one of our veg dishes is going to be Colcannon - a traditional
favourite.

Old 29-07-2014, 05:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

Fran Farmer wrote:

Tonight one of our veg dishes is going to be Colcannon - a traditional
favourite.

I like that simple potato and cabbage dish too.
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/colcannon/

I also like this very similar dish:
http://www.food.com/recipe/noodles-c...alushki-179227

I think every ethnicity has their version of these quick one pot
dishes. I like to make these a full one dish meal by adding some left
over cooked meat, chicken, ham, smoked sausage/kielbasa works well. I
grow lots of cabbages, my next door neighbor grows potatoes... we
swap. This year I also planted lots of kale which can be substituted
for cabbage. I planted lots of Swiss chard too, I think it's better
than spinach and much easier to harvest and clean.

Old 29-07-2014, 10:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 7/27/2014 1:48 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

Regardless the color if you pare away the skins essentially all the
nutrition remaining is starch.

"A common misconception is that all of the potato’s nutrients are
found in the skin. While the skin does contain approximately half of
the total dietary fiber, the majority ( 50 percent) of the nutrients
are found within the potato itself."
http://www.coloradopotato.org/colora..._nutrition.php

And since other than starch potato
nutrition is for the most part in the skin flesh color is meaningless.

They indicate higher levels of carotenoids or flavonoids, though I
have no idea if there'd ever be a meaningful amount in the flesh.

Old 30-07-2014, 09:46 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 30/07/2014 2:17 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
Fran Farmer wrote:

Tonight one of our veg dishes is going to be Colcannon - a traditional
favourite.

I like that simple potato and cabbage dish too.
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/colcannon/

I also like this very similar dish:
http://www.food.com/recipe/noodles-c...alushki-179227

I think every ethnicity has their version of these quick one pot
dishes. I like to make these a full one dish meal by adding some left
over cooked meat, chicken, ham, smoked sausage/kielbasa works well.

That really does sound tasty.

grow lots of cabbages, my next door neighbor grows potatoes... we
swap. This year I also planted lots of kale which can be substituted
for cabbage. I planted lots of Swiss chard too, I think it's better
than spinach and much easier to harvest and clean.

I really like kale and I prefer grow silver beet/chard over spinach. I
can feed the silver beet to us or to the chooks and spinach runs to seed
here too fast whereas silver beet can be harvested for a full year here.