Old 30-07-2014, 02:56 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default My running black thumb zuke count

Hi All,

Of my 14 zuke plants, here is my black thumb running
total.

two weeks ago: two fruit
one week ago: two fruit
this week: one fruit

Think I should fertilize? When the local organic farm
was open (turkeys moved on me), they told me the fertilized
A LOT. Their zuke plants were twice the size as mine.

Anyone have a favorite organic fertilizer for zukes?

Many thanks,
-T
Old 30-07-2014, 02:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

Todd said:
Hi All,

Of my 14 zuke plants, here is my black thumb running
total.

two weeks ago: two fruit
one week ago: two fruit
this week: one fruit

Think I should fertilize? When the local organic farm
was open (turkeys moved on me), they told me the fertilized
A LOT. Their zuke plants were twice the size as mine.

Anyone have a favorite organic fertilizer for zukes?

Depends on your soil. Have it tested!

My soil has a good P bank, so I don't need to use fertilizers that
contain high phosphorous. So mainly I use alfalfa pellets (horse
food) and compost I make with shredded leaves.

Tomato-tone by Espoma would probably be good for squash
as well, and I have relied on it for years. That, or Plant-tone.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."

email valid but not regularly monitored

Old 01-08-2014, 06:57 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 07/30/2014 06:54 AM, Pat Kiewicz wrote:
Todd said:
Hi All,

Of my 14 zuke plants, here is my black thumb running
total.

two weeks ago: two fruit
one week ago: two fruit
this week: one fruit

Think I should fertilize? When the local organic farm
was open (turkeys moved on me), they told me the fertilized
A LOT. Their zuke plants were twice the size as mine.

Anyone have a favorite organic fertilizer for zukes?

Depends on your soil. Have it tested!

My soil has a good P bank, so I don't need to use fertilizers that
contain high phosphorous. So mainly I use alfalfa pellets (horse
food) and compost I make with shredded leaves.

Tomato-tone by Espoma would probably be good for squash
as well, and I have relied on it for years. That, or Plant-tone.

The only organic one I could find was Dr. Earth's
all purpose. Dumped two boxes on the guys.

Old 03-08-2014, 07:47 AM posted to rec.gardens

Todd said:
[...]

I harvested 4 and 1/2 this week. Things are looking
slightly better.

Along with the one from last wee in the crisper, I
have enough for a pan full.

Old 11-08-2014, 03:09 AM posted to rec.gardens

Todd said:
[...]

This week only got 1! Poop!
Old 17-08-2014, 10:13 PM posted to rec.gardens

Todd said:
[...]

11! Yippee. I think it is the fertilizer I applied
two weeks ago. Applied again last Thursday.
Old 31-08-2014, 08:43 AM posted to rec.gardens

Todd said:
[...]

18-1/2! More than I have ever harvested in the five years
or so combined that I have tried growing them.

I think it is the chicken scat fertilizer. I switched to
it from the fish head fertilizer this year. I have always
fertilized. Apparently, not with the right stuff.

I did this because two years ago, the local farm that moved
on me used chicken scat to fertilize with and their tomatoes
were out of this world. Last year they used fish poop water
and their yield was low and their tomatoes tasted nasty.
So, I deliberately sought out organic fertilizer that had
chicken scat in it. Bingo!

I blanched about half of them and stuck them in the freezer.
The others I made into to rat-uh-two-ee. Froze half of it too.
Used my own egg plant. Still had about five zukes left over
for the crisper drawer!

-T

9-1/2. So much for past glory! I have five in
the crisper from last week, so I should have a good time
with the cooking again this week.

:-)

Old 31-08-2014, 08:47 AM posted to rec.gardens

Todd said:
[...]

One of my largest plants has some of its leaves die off.
They were covered in white powder. Found some squash bug eggs
on the underside of one dying leaf (crushed them). I searched
high and low for the additional eggs, but couldn't find any.
I cut off the branched on the leaves with dying leaves and
tosses them in the bin.

Old 14-09-2014, 06:19 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 09/11/2014 10:23 AM, Todd wrote:

9

10
Old 14-09-2014, 02:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

Todd wrote:
Todd wrote:

9

10

See Todd... see Todd count...
http://i57.tinypic.com/263j38m.jpg
Old 14-09-2014, 08:10 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 09/14/2014 06:22 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
Todd wrote:
Todd wrote:

9

10

See Todd... see Todd count...
http://i57.tinypic.com/263j38m.jpg

Hi Brooklyn1,

1) Was that photo shopped or for real?

2) You are a funny bunny :-)

3) If I keep up at this rate, will I need more fingers?

Last year, I think I had five, maybe seven plants, I forget.
I got five zukes total. So this year in frustration, I
planted 14 of the buggers. This year in one week, I have
a higher yield than I got ALL last year. I am tickled.

And, I do realize that my yield is still significantly lower
per plant than it should be. But at least I am getting some!

In a few minutes, I am going to make Ratatouille for
freezing and blanch up a whole bunch more, also for
freezing. Never had this problem before. It is a
good problem to have.

-T

Old 20-09-2014, 10:08 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 09/13/2014 10:19 PM, Todd wrote:
On 09/11/2014 10:23 AM, Todd wrote:

9

10

4. Bummer. But three of them were 14" ling an about 3" in diameter.
I may have to blanch two of them, if they all don't fit in this
week's Rat (Ratatouille).

Old 21-09-2014, 04:12 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 09/20/2014 02:08 PM, Todd wrote:
On 09/13/2014 10:19 PM, Todd wrote:
On 09/11/2014 10:23 AM, Todd wrote:

9

10

4. Bummer. But three of them were 14" ling an about 3" in diameter.
I may have to blanch two of them, if they all don't fit in this
week's Rat (Ratatouille).

I think it is time to fertilize again~~