Old 30-07-2014, 03:03 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default when to pick eggplant?

Hi All,

With my black thumb, my two eggplants are probably
half normal size. So I can't judge when to pick
based on size from the grocery store.

I got 7 pretty fruits a growing on the two plants
and more of those heart stopping beautiful flowers
too.

I do not want them too tough that I can't eat the
skins. Wonderful nutrition in the skins.

Is there any indicator, other than size, I should look
for when they are ready for the pan?

Many thanks,
-T
Old 30-07-2014, 03:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

Todd said:
Hi All,

With my black thumb, my two eggplants are probably
half normal size. So I can't judge when to pick
based on size from the grocery store.

I got 7 pretty fruits a growing on the two plants
and more of those heart stopping beautiful flowers
too.

I do not want them too tough that I can't eat the
skins. Wonderful nutrition in the skins.

Is there any indicator, other than size, I should look
for when they are ready for the pan?

If you wait for them to be as big as the ones you see in
the store, or for them to start losing their glossiness, you
have waited too long. Any eggplant that is not firm and
glossy is too far gone.

Picking them sooner rather than later means they will
have few seeds and shouldn't need to be 'sweated' with
salt to remove bitterness.

I prefer them when you can easily wrap a hand around
them (the oval types) or even smaller. The long, thin
Asian ones, no more than eight inches.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."

email valid but not regularly monitored

Old 30-07-2014, 03:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

Pat Kiewicz wrote:
Todd said:

With my black thumb, my two eggplants are probably
half normal size. So I can't judge when to pick
based on size from the grocery store.

I got 7 pretty fruits a growing on the two plants
and more of those heart stopping beautiful flowers
too.

I do not want them too tough that I can't eat the
skins. Wonderful nutrition in the skins.

Is there any indicator, other than size, I should look
for when they are ready for the pan?

If you wait for them to be as big as the ones you see in
the store, or for them to start losing their glossiness, you
have waited too long. Any eggplant that is not firm and
glossy is too far gone.

Picking them sooner rather than later means they will
have few seeds and shouldn't need to be 'sweated' with
salt to remove bitterness.

And the more often they're picked the more will be produced.

I prefer them when you can easily wrap a hand around
them. The long Asian ones, no more than eight inches.

No comment.
Old 30-07-2014, 06:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 07/30/2014 07:00 AM, Pat Kiewicz wrote:
Todd said:
[...]

Hi Pat,

I am not sure, but I will look carefully at the
gloss.

Right now my biggest one is six inches long and
three inches around. The others are about 3 to 4 inches
long and about an inch around. Is it time?

If I squeeze them, will it hurt them?

-T
Old 31-07-2014, 03:26 PM posted to rec.gardens

Todd said:

Right now my biggest one is six inches long and
three inches around. The others are about 3 to 4 inches
long and about an inch around. Is it time?

I'd say, pick that biggest one. If it shows any tan seeds,
pick the little ones, too. If not, let the small ones get bigger.

If they stop increasing in size, you've probably left them on
too long (for my taste).

If I squeeze them, will it hurt them?

Depends on how hard you squeeze them! If you press them
gently and they don't rebound, pick them right now (they
may be passing their peak).

I should add, I have large hands (and pretty big feet--my
latest purchase of running shoes was USA men's 11.5).
So my hand may wrap a little farther around an eggplant
than average.

Old 31-07-2014, 11:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 07/31/2014 07:26 AM, Pat Kiewicz wrote:
Todd said:

Right now my biggest one is six inches long and
three inches around. The others are about 3 to 4 inches
long and about an inch around. Is it time?

I'd say, pick that biggest one. If it shows any tan seeds,
pick the little ones, too. If not, let the small ones get bigger.

If they stop increasing in size, you've probably left them on
too long (for my taste).

If I squeeze them, will it hurt them?

Depends on how hard you squeeze them! If you press them
gently and they don't rebound, pick them right now (they
may be passing their peak).

I should add, I have large hands (and pretty big feet--my
latest purchase of running shoes was USA men's 11.5).
So my hand may wrap a little farther around an eggplant
than average.

Hi Pat,

I love the rebound test. Thank you!

-T
Old 01-08-2014, 03:52 AM posted to rec.gardens

Todd said:

Right now my biggest one is six inches long and
three inches around. The others are about 3 to 4 inches
long and about an inch around. Is it time?

I'd say, pick that biggest one. If it shows any tan seeds,
pick the little ones, too. If not, let the small ones get bigger.

If they stop increasing in size, you've probably left them on
too long (for my taste).

If I squeeze them, will it hurt them?

Depends on how hard you squeeze them! If you press them
gently and they don't rebound, pick them right now (they
may be passing their peak).

I should add, I have large hands (and pretty big feet--my
latest purchase of running shoes was USA men's 11.5).
So my hand may wrap a little farther around an eggplant
than average.

They are hard as a rock. Yipee! They will grow
bigger.