Old 29-08-2014, 11:47 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Watering young fruit trees

This is about a Santa Rosa plum and a Blenheim Apricot.

Planted same time; about 4-5 years ago. I assumed that at that age they would be living on ground water, but gardener told me contrary today! Horrified! Mea Culpa! Mea Maxima Culpa! Is he right?!

Plum is healthy-looking; well leafed-out. Apricot no; looks puny; suckers galore.
I remove; they return.

Went on-line but nothing relevant to my question. They discuss baby trees but don't talk about watering 4-5 years old.

This is So Calif coastal. Anybody Up Here or Down There offer any wisdom?

Tx

HB
Old 30-08-2014, 01:48 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 8/29/2014 3:47 PM, Hypatia Nachshon wrote:

This is about a Santa Rosa plum and a Blenheim Apricot.

Planted same time; about 4-5 years ago. I assumed that at that age they would be living on ground water, but gardener told me contrary today! Horrified! Mea Culpa! Mea Maxima Culpa! Is he right?!

Plum is healthy-looking; well leafed-out. Apricot no; looks puny; suckers galore.
I remove; they return.

Went on-line but nothing relevant to my question. They discuss baby trees but don't talk about watering 4-5 years old.

This is So Calif coastal. Anybody Up Here or Down There offer any wisdom?

Tx

HB

With the drought, there is likely NO ground water for your trees.
Create a basin around each tree with an inner berm about 1-2 feet from
the trunk and an outer berm aligned with the outermost branch ends.
Flood the basin to a depth of about 2-3 inches about once each week;
this should likely fall within your allowance for water usage.

The suckers on your apricot might indicate extreme stress on the tree.
Suckers should be removed completely, not cut away but pulled off at the
point where they sprout from the roots or rootstock.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
Old 30-08-2014, 02:59 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Friday, August 29, 2014 5:48:59 PM UTC-7, David E. Ross wrote:
On 8/29/2014 3:47 PM, Hypatia Nachshon wrote:

This is about a Santa Rosa plum and a Blenheim Apricot.

Planted same time; about 4-5 years ago. I assumed that at that age they would be living on ground water, but gardener told me contrary today! Horrified! Mea Culpa! Mea Maxima Culpa! Is he right?!

Plum is healthy-looking; well leafed-out. Apricot no; looks puny; suckers galore. I remove; they return.

Went on-line but nothing relevant to my question. They discuss baby trees but don't talk about watering 4-5 years old.

This is So Calif coastal. Anybody Up Here or Down There offer any wisdom?

Tx

HB

With the drought, there is likely NO ground water for your trees.

Could it -- lack of ground water -- possibly extend that deep????

Ewww...that's going to call for some realignment of other beds. But true, absorption happens at the periphery..

Flood the basin to a depth of about 2-3 inches about once each week; this should likely fall within your allowance for water usage.

They haven't formalized allowances as yet, but plenty of people who have been very conscientious,just out of social responsibility, are mightily ticked off that THEY might be subject to % reduction just like the wasteful ones. I hope it doesn't come to that -- the authorities should look at the record before putting it to the good guys!

The suckers on your apricot might indicate extreme stress on the tree.

Oddly enough, they proliferated almost from when I put thr apricot in -- way before the drought. Never at the plum, about 10 feet away! As I observed over the years, I kept thinking the apricot is just not as healthy -- something we can observe in other plants.

Ex: I had a cucumber that roared ahead of the others in the same row. I mean HUGE. Damn thing produced one little cucumber & then died!

Suckers should be removed completely, not cut away but pulled off at the
point where they sprout from the roots or rootstock.

Yep.

Tx

HB

Old 30-08-2014, 01:33 PM posted to rec.gardens

Hypatia Nachshon wrote:

This is about a Santa Rosa plum and a Blenheim Apricot.
Planted same time; about 4-5 years ago. I assumed that at that age they would be living on ground water, but gardener told me contrary today! Horrified! Mea Culpa! Mea Maxima Culpa! Is he right?!
Plum is healthy-looking; well leafed-out. Apricot no; looks puny; suckers galore.
I remove; they return.

Went on-line but nothing relevant to my question. They discuss baby trees but don't talk about watering 4-5 years old.

This is So Calif coastal. Anybody Up Here or Down There offer any wisdom?

Tx

If you're in CA why do you sign Tx?

Old 30-08-2014, 04:01 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Saturday, August 30, 2014 5:33:45 AM UTC-7, Brooklyn1 wrote:
Hypatia Nachshon wrote:

This is about a Santa Rosa plum and a Blenheim Apricot.

Planted same time; about 4-5 years ago. I assumed that at that age they would be living on ground water, but gardener told me contrary today! Horrified! Mea Culpa! Mea Maxima Culpa! Is he right?!

Plum is healthy-looking; well leafed-out. Apricot no; looks puny; suckers galore.

I remove; they return.

Went on-line but nothing relevant to my question. They discuss baby trees but don't talk about watering 4-5 years old.

This is So Calif coastal. Anybody Up Here or Down There offer any wisdom?

Tx

If you're in CA why do you sign Tx?

That's computerese short for "thanks".

HB
Old 30-08-2014, 06:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

Hypatia Nachshon wrote:

This is about a Santa Rosa plum and a Blenheim Apricot.

Planted same time; about 4-5 years ago. I assumed that at that age they would be living on ground water, but gardener told me contrary today! Horrified! Mea Culpa! Mea Maxima Culpa! Is he right?!

Plum is healthy-looking; well leafed-out. Apricot no; looks puny; suckers galore.

I remove; they return.

Went on-line but nothing relevant to my question. They discuss baby trees but don't talk about watering 4-5 years old.

This is So Calif coastal. Anybody Up Here or Down There offer any wisdom?

Tx

If you're in CA why do you sign Tx?

That's computerese short for "thanks".

HB

Newsgroups are not Twitter.

Old 30-08-2014, 07:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

Hypatia Nachshon wrote:

This is about a Santa Rosa plum and a Blenheim Apricot.

Planted same time; about 4-5 years ago. I assumed that at that age they would be living on ground water, but gardener told me contrary today! Horrified! Mea Culpa! Mea Maxima Culpa! Is he right?!

Plum is healthy-looking; well leafed-out. Apricot no; looks puny; suckers galore.

I remove; they return.

Went on-line but nothing relevant to my question. They discuss baby trees but don't talk about watering 4-5 years old.

This is So Calif coastal. Anybody Up Here or Down There offer any wisdom?

Tx

If you're in CA why do you sign Tx?

That's computerese short for "thanks".

Oh.

A neat method for watering trees in arid climes is with 4" diameter
perforated PVC pipe. With a post hole digger or auger make post holes
aboout 30" deep about the tree drip line 120º apart. Insert a length
of perforated pipe into each hole with about 2" above grade. Then
each day or as needed fill each pipe with water, can fertilze too.
Most tree roots don't go more than two feet deep and most feeder roots
are just below the surface.
Old 30-08-2014, 07:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

Hypatia Nachshon wrote:

This is about a Santa Rosa plum and a Blenheim Apricot.

Planted same time; about 4-5 years ago. I assumed that at that age they would be living on ground water, but gardener told me contrary today! Horrified! Mea Culpa! Mea Maxima Culpa! Is he right?!

Plum is healthy-looking; well leafed-out. Apricot no; looks puny; suckers galore.

I remove; they return.

Went on-line but nothing relevant to my question. They discuss baby trees but don't talk about watering 4-5 years old.

This is So Calif coastal. Anybody Up Here or Down There offer any wisdom?

Tx

If you're in CA why do you sign Tx?

That's computerese short for "thanks".

HB

Newsgroups are not Twitter.

The closest I've ever been to tweeting is feeding birds... I don't
text either... I don't use a cell phone. There are very few pay
phones nowadays so I broke down and got a Tracfone for emergencies
when I'm not home but in the past year I used it once for less than a
minute. I never turn it on unless I intend to use it, no one has the
number, I don't even know the number unless I check the bit of paper
it's written on in my case, I paid more than three times as much for
the case as I did for the under $10 Tracfone. I have a land line at
home but I rarely use it, mostly for calling businesses, like local
stores to check if they have something. I see no reason to waste my
time with inane chatting like I overhear... like WTF do I need to
phone someone to tell them I'm on my way, I'll be there in five
minutes, I'm in your drivewy, I'm ringing your bell, do you hear me
now? LOL Most of the conversations I overhear are definitely
psychotic. The only real use for cell phones is for cheating on ones
SO. I grew up with one rotary phone in the kitchen, there were no
private phone calls, my parents remained happily married for more than
50 years... nowadays the divorce rate is directly proportional to ones
cell phone minutes.
Old 30-08-2014, 08:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

Hypatia Nachshon wrote:

This is about a Santa Rosa plum and a Blenheim Apricot.

Planted same time; about 4-5 years ago. I assumed that at that age they would be living on ground water, but gardener told me contrary today! Horrified! Mea Culpa! Mea Maxima Culpa! Is he right?!

Plum is healthy-looking; well leafed-out. Apricot no; looks puny; suckers galore.

I remove; they return.

Went on-line but nothing relevant to my question. They discuss baby trees but don't talk about watering 4-5 years old.

This is So Calif coastal. Anybody Up Here or Down There offer any wisdom?

Tx

If you're in CA why do you sign Tx?

That's computerese short for "thanks".

HB

Newsgroups are not Twitter.

"Tx" is not Twitter (I don't have it or any social groups).

Tx, along with FWIW, POS, FOAD, AFAIK, and a few others in common use, are perfectly ordinary Internet discourse.

HB

Old 30-08-2014, 08:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

Hypatia Nachshon wrote:

This is about a Santa Rosa plum and a Blenheim Apricot.

Planted same time; about 4-5 years ago. I assumed that at that age they would be living on ground water, but gardener told me contrary today! Horrified! Mea Culpa! Mea Maxima Culpa! Is he right?!

Plum is healthy-looking; well leafed-out. Apricot no; looks puny; suckers galore.

I remove; they return.

Went on-line but nothing relevant to my question. They discuss baby trees but don't talk about watering 4-5 years old.

This is So Calif coastal. Anybody Up Here or Down There offer any wisdom?

Tx

If you're in CA why do you sign Tx?

That's computerese short for "thanks".

Oh.

A neat method for watering trees in arid climes is with 4" diameter

perforated PVC pipe. With a post hole digger or auger make post holes

aboout 30" deep about the tree drip line 120� apart. Insert a length

of perforated pipe into each hole with about 2" above grade. Then

each day or as needed fill each pipe with water, can fertilze too.

Most tree roots don't go more than two feet deep and most feeder roots

are just below the surface.

Tx. Sounds like a plan. I had been letting a slow hose run for a long time too near the trunk; shoulda known to put it near drip line.

Do I assume correctly that the PVC pipe is BLOCKED at both ends, such that the only water that goes IN is through the 2" entry and the only water that comes OUT is through the underground perforations?

HB

Old 30-08-2014, 09:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

Hypatia Nachshon wrote:

[...]

I'd leave the ends open.... if you think too much water is seeping at
the bottom you can attach a wooden disk to a dowel to push into the
pipe. Also a good layer of mulch will slow water loss. A lot depends
on the condition of the soil you used to fill the hole when you
planted. Also keep in mind that stone fruit really doesn't do well in
So Cal.
Old 31-08-2014, 12:49 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Saturday, August 30, 2014 11:29:14 AM UTC-7, Brooklyn1 wrote [in part]:

Most tree roots don't go more than two feet deep and most feeder roots

are just below the surface.

While feeder roots might be near the soil surface, roots taking up water
can be much deeper. Walnut trees can send their roots down 20 feet.
Oaks can send their roots even deeper seeking water. Roots only 2 feet
deep could not support a giant redwood or a "Blue Gum" eucalyptus; the
first moderate wind would topple such trees. Even tomato plants can
send their roots down 10 feet.

Old 31-08-2014, 01:44 AM posted to rec.gardens

Hypatia Nachshon writes:

"Tx" is not Twitter (I don't have it or any social groups).

Tx, along with FWIW, POS, FOAD, AFAIK, and a few others in common use,
are perfectly ordinary Internet discourse.

MAYBE some of the above are common on Usenet, but "Tx" certainly
isn't. I certainly don't interact with people that use a few of those.

Most people on Usenet try to write complete, correct sentences
with correct spelling. Show a little pride and write like you're
going to be graded.

--
Dan Espen
Old 31-08-2014, 02:22 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Sat, 30 Aug 2014 16:49:29 -0700, "David E. Ross"
wrote:

On Saturday, August 30, 2014 11:29:14 AM UTC-7, Brooklyn1 wrote [in part]:

Most tree roots don't go more than two feet deep and most feeder roots

are just below the surface.

While feeder roots might be near the soil surface, roots taking up water
can be much deeper. Walnut trees can send their roots down 20 feet.
Oaks can send their roots even deeper seeking water. Roots only 2 feet
deep could not support a giant redwood or a "Blue Gum" eucalyptus; the
first moderate wind would topple such trees. Even tomato plants can
send their roots down 10 feet.

Um, I said most, and here we're talking small fruit trees... sycamore
trees are huge yet are shallow rooted and they don't easily topple