Old 12-11-2014, 08:24 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Rash From Garden Gloves?

On Thursday, September 16, 2004 7:38:41 PM UTC-7, Jim Carlock wrote:
A reaction to latex seems to be quite common. Could you
have a reaction to latex ? Hospital gloves and such are
made from latex.
http://www.histosearch.com/histonet/...reactionA.html

Also, hospital staff and medics are told to avoid using suede
gloves at all times because they are impossible to disinfect if
the glove becomes contaminated. So if the gloves are bought
used... who knows what's in 'em.
http://216.239.41.104/search?q=cache...n+r ash&hl=en

The following link looks like pretty good info...
http://www.aad.org/pamphlets/hand.html

I got quite a few links by searching for
"leather gloves" reaction rash

Three links turned up for...
"suede gloves" reaction rash

Hope that helps.

--
Jim Carlock
Post replies to the newsgroup.

"Doug Kanter" wrote:
I don't see a message thread about shovels when I search.
What was it about?

"dps" wrote in message
Never had a rash, but every time I use a new pair of the orange gloves
my hands turn orange. For that reason I prefer to buy the grey gloves if
they are available.

I generally buy the cheapest heavy gloves I can because I generally use
about 3-8 pairs per year. Most of them get lost, but several get worn
out. It also happens with the more expensive gloves. [See my previous
post on shovels]

Doug Kanter wrote:
I'm headed to the doctor's shortly to discuss a weird rash on the

insides of
my fingers. Naturally, he'll ask if I've come into contact with anything

new
or unusual. The only thing I can think of is a pair of new work gloves -

the
orange-ish suede leather ones available at Home Depot and places like

that.
Has anyone here ever had a reaction to leather gloves? I'm wondering

about
the pigment.

Knock on wood, I haven't had rash from the gauntlets I wear for prickly plants like roses, cacti, etc. Leather palms, fabric uppers. (Gauntlets because I have to wear gloves to protect my arms as well as hands. Plant pricks take a while to heal on me.)

I use the vinyl gloves sold in boxes in most drugstores. I like the vinyl because they are tough and permit a finer grasp. (Of course "heavy" is indispensable in, well, heavy tasks.)

Vinyl gloves -- NOT "surgical latex!!! --are cheap and disposable, but can often be reused.

Just my .02

HB