Old 15-11-2014, 06:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Rash From Garden Gloves?

On Tuesday, November 11, 2014 9:28:56 AM UTC-8, Brooklyn1 wrote:
ancientangler wrote:

I'm headed to the doctor's shortly to discuss a weird rash on the insides
of my fingers. Naturally, he'll ask if I've come into contact with anything
new or unusual. The only thing I can think of is a pair of new work gloves -
the orange-ish suede leather ones available at Home Depot and places like that.
Has anyone here ever had a reaction to leather gloves? I'm wondering about
the pigment.

If the rash is only between your fingers it may not be the gloves,
otherwise your entire hand would have the rash... could be what you
were handling while wearing the gloves... plant oils will seep through
leather gloves, especially those rough textured porous suede gloves
that typically have very thin gussets between the fingers. Perhaps
you were handling poison ivy or the like... also not wise to share
gloves, and I don't recommend leather gloves for gardening.

I do use leather-PALM gloves for rough tasks but it's only the PALM; between the fingers is fabric.

Also, may I repeat suggestion of using disposable VINYL -- NOT LATEX -- gloves for ordinary garden tasks.

HB

Old 15-11-2014, 08:01 PM posted to rec.gardens

Hypatia Nachshon wrote:
Brooklyn1 wrote:
ancientangler wrote:

[...]

Who gives a rat's behind what YOU use, you're not the OP.

Also, may I repeat suggestion of using disposable VINYL -- NOT LATEX -- gloves for ordinary garden tasks.

Vinyl is too weak for gardening, use nitrile gloves.
http://www.harborfreight.com/5-mil-n...rge-68497.html
http://www.atlasfitgloves.com/atlasgardeninggloves.html
http://thesweethome.com/reviews/the-...dening-gloves/
http://www.gardeners.com/buy/nitrile-gloves/35-675.html
Old 17-11-2014, 06:05 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Saturday, November 15, 2014 12:01:26 PM UTC-8, Brooklyn1 wrote:
Hypatia Nachshon wrote:
Brooklyn1 wrote:
ancientangler wrote:

[...]

Ever the perfect gentleman, in whichever NG you {searches for suitable verb...)

Also, may I repeat suggestion of using disposable VINYL -- NOT LATEX -- gloves for ordinary garden tasks.

Vinyl is too weak for gardening, use nitrile gloves.

Odd...been using it with 100% success for years...

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-mil-n...rge-68497.html

powderfree is for certain skin conditions..

Old 23-11-2014, 02:58 AM posted to rec.gardens

ancientangler wrote:

[...]

Also there are nitrile one use gloves as well as vinyl and latex. I
prefer nitrile as they are less likely to have allergenic issues.

?-)