Old 23-11-2014, 02:10 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Fig tree, Zone 5

Well, I am an optimist, so I am trying. My brother-in-law is an expert
gardener and has raised figs for many years....but he digs a trench and
buries his tree each year. He gave us a small tree (much too late in
the year) and I had plans to dig said trench in my garden but just ran
out of time between family activities, cold weather and the difficulty
of digging deeply enough. So, I did get down below the topsoil to find
hardpan and rock....dug out a lot of that, screened out rock and stones,
mixed in some sand and a lot of compost. Placed roots carefully, piled
in the soil and then some shredded cypress mulch. Bound branches and
wrapped tree with bubble wrap ) Placed a chicken-wire cage around the
tree, filled that with dry leaves (packed) and then wrapped the whole
with black plastic. We had frost in early Sept. this year, so winter
temps are anyone's guess. Has anyone else kept fig trees outdoors in
Zone 5?
Old 23-11-2014, 03:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 23 Nov 2014 08:10:59 -0500, Norminn
wrote:

[...]

I grow mine in tubs and overwinter them in the basement or garage. I
find it is easier than burying them. I tried the protection route or
wrapping and mulching a few times, but it is trickier in tubs. I
failed.

This overwintering inside works quite well. I am in zone 6b.

Boron
Old 23-11-2014, 05:58 PM posted to rec.gardens

Norminn wrote:

[...]

The secret is knowing the Italian winter wrap:
http://www.i-italy.org/bloggers/4526...-figs-brooklyn
http://figs4funforum.websitetoolbox....winter-4505553
Old 23-11-2014, 06:28 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 11/23/2014 11:58 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
Norminn wrote:

[...]

Ahhh, I've read articles about NYC fig growers, but that is a good deal
warmer than my Zone 5. My brother-in-law learned to cook and garden
from his Italian grandmother, and "burying" the fig tree every year is
now a family tradition at his house, followed by a feast! Oh, what good
cooks! We tried to get the tree in spring, but schedules didn't agree,
so we retrieved it early November! Soil still tillable, but to bury in
in the recommended 2' trench I would have needed power equipment because
the subsoil is so hard.

I have seen -25 temp in my area, but that was rather long ago. Coldest
last winter was...maybe zero, briefly. Our summer was totally crazy; my
lilac and mock cherry didn't bloom in spring, but in OCTOBER the lilac
and poppies tried to bloom.
Old 23-11-2014, 09:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

Norminn wrote:

[...]

I live in zone 5 (northern Catskills), fig trees don't do well here no
matter how cared for, even when over wintered indoors the growing
season is really too short for figs. Years ago I lived in southern
Cal, fig trees grew everywhere, could eat your fill walking down any
street, persimons too... had to be careful not to get bopped by
avocadoes. But here I grow cherries, apples, and all sorts of stone
fruit... I'm hoping for a good crop of green gage plums next year. I
love fresh figs (love em literally, nothing sexier than splitting
open a fresh fig and diving in) but here I settle for string figs.
If you like dried fruit these are the best on the planet, the figs are
wonderful:
http://market.sunmaid.com/index.php?...ategory_id=178
I've purchsed these several times, excellent:
http://market.sunmaid.com/index.php?...oduct_id=29844