Old 03-12-2014, 01:39 PM
Registered User

Location: swansea
Default fungus

hello im new here so don't know if im posting in the right place or not
Ive recently noticed fungus growing on the trunk of my plum tree and hope someone can help me regarding saving the tree
should i pull the fungus off or not
thanks in advance

https://plus.google.com/photos/11593...03346709478753
kath
Old 03-12-2014, 03:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Wednesday, December 3, 2014 7:25:03 AM UTC-8, undautri wrote:
hello im new here so don't know if im posting in the right place or not
Ive recently noticed fungus growing on the trunk of my plum tree and
hope someone can help me regarding saving the tree
should i pull the fungus off or not
thanks in advance

http://tinyurl.com/n8xsafz
kath

--
undautri

You need to give your location.

Also, have you visited any Web sites about the problem. If so
what did they say that leaves you seeking more info?

HB

HB
Old 03-12-2014, 04:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 12/3/2014 5:39 AM, undautri wrote:
hello im new here so don't know if im posting in the right place or not
Ive recently noticed fungus growing on the trunk of my plum tree and
hope someone can help me regarding saving the tree
should i pull the fungus off or not
thanks in advance

http://tinyurl.com/n8xsafz
kath

Bad news! With fungus growing that high, your tree might already be dead.

Stone fruits -- especially peaches, but also plums, cherries, and
apricots -- are not long-lived. I'm not sure about the others, but I
read that commercial peach orchards are bulldozed and replanted after
about 15 years. The trees might linger longer than that, but they
decline severely.

I know of a stand of ornamental cherries that were planted not more than
14 years ago that also have fungus on their trunks. They were planted
in basins when they should have been planted on mounds. They are dying
of root rot because the basins cause water to accumulate and stand at
the base of the trunks. The fungus on their trunks is merely a symptom
of their dying, not a cause.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
Old 03-12-2014, 04:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

undautri wrote:

hello im new here so don't know if im posting in the right place or not
Ive recently noticed fungus growing on the trunk of my plum tree and
hope someone can help me regarding saving the tree
should i pull the fungus off or not
thanks in advance

http://tinyurl.com/n8xsafz
kath

That's a type of bracket/shelf fungi. Being it's on the trunk there
isn't much to be done save remove the tree, there is no known cure...
by the time the fruiting bodies appear the tree's interior is too far
gone from decay... were it on a branch I'd say remove the branch but
you can't remove the trunk. From the look of that trunk diameter it
appears to be a rather old plum tree at the end of it's life, much
weakened which is likely why it became a good host for fungi. That
tree is already very weak, have it removed before it falls and causes
serious damage to nearby structures.
http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/orna...ket-fungus.htm
Old 04-12-2014, 07:21 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 4/12/2014 3:18 AM, David E. Ross wrote:
[...]

I didn't like the look of the vertical splits in the bark on the trunks.

Old 04-12-2014, 08:08 PM
Registered User

Location: swansea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Farmer View Post
[...]

thank you all so much for your help guess its got to go which is a pity as ive had loads of fruit off it - even this year
i think i planted it about 12 years ago so its not young
my next question is i have recently - last month- planted 2 apple trees in the nearbu area are they likely to get infected ? and i also have a large cherry and a coxes apple in the area too that have been there a while - are they likely to get it too ?
thank you
kath
Old 04-12-2014, 10:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 12/4/2014 2:08 PM, undautri wrote:
Fran Farmer;1009831 Wrote:
[...]

This isn't an infection. The fungus colonized the tree because the
tree was already in the process of decay. As long as your other trees
are alive and healthy and have no decayed wood, they won't get a fungus.

Old 05-12-2014, 12:04 PM
Registered User

Location: swansea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe DeLoughan View Post
Fran Farmer;1009831 Wrote:
[...]

thank you very much for your speedy reply - im so relieved
xkath
Old 05-12-2014, 04:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

Fran Farmer;1009831 Wrote:
[...]

I agree, this fungus is not a pathogen but rather a wood rotter. It appeared only to decompose the dead wood.

[IMG] code is On

Last year, fungus fungus everywhere Natalka Rosalia Maria Roshak Edible Gardening 5 26-01-2005 06:26 PM
Honey fungus and wood chips John Towill United Kingdom 2 24-04-2003 07:44 PM
fungus in Sydney garden Richard Wright Australia 0 29-03-2003 03:20 PM
Rose Fungus question Campbe4 Roses 11 11-03-2003 10:33 PM
Oak root fungus? Susan Solomon Roses 1 20-02-2003 06:03 PM