Old 22-12-2014, 06:58 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Ping Brooklyn1: how do you keep grass out of your garden?

Hi Brooklyn1,

I noticed on the pictures of your garden that it
is surrounded by grass. Mine is surrounded on two
sides and I can't keep the stinkin' grass out
of it. How do you do it?

-T
Old 22-12-2014, 03:06 PM posted to rec.gardens

Todd wrote:

Hi Brooklyn1,

I noticed on the pictures of your garden that it
is surrounded by grass. Mine is surrounded on two
sides and I can't keep the stinkin' grass out
of it. How do you do it?

Real RR ties sunken into the ground all around, weed block cloth, plus
actual work pulling weeds... and one of the best work-saving gardening
tools is a Mantis Tiller.
http://i57.tinypic.com/1587ck4.jpg
http://i59.tinypic.com/iqwnc2.jpg

Old 22-12-2014, 08:02 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 12/22/2014 07:06 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
Todd wrote:

Hi Brooklyn1,

I noticed on the pictures of your garden that it
is surrounded by grass. Mine is surrounded on two
sides and I can't keep the stinkin' grass out
of it. How do you do it?

Real RR ties sunken into the ground all around, weed block cloth, plus
actual work pulling weeds... and one of the best work-saving gardening
tools is a Mantis Tiller.
http://i57.tinypic.com/1587ck4.jpg
http://i59.tinypic.com/iqwnc2.jpg

Hi Brooklyn1,

Thank you!

Those pictures are a true thing of beauty!

One of my grasses blows in as seeds. If the ground is
moist, you can grab whole hand fulls at a time.
Very shallow roots.

The other creeps along over and under everything.
Good luck trying to pull it out. I turn it over
with a shovel. It takes it about a month to return to
its former glory. I have a bad feeing that if it
were challenged by a tiller that the tiller would
lose. Stuff is like steel.

When you till, are you not just replanting all
the grass seeds?

-T

Old 22-12-2014, 09:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

Todd wrote:

[...]

This used to be all hay fields. Hay has awfull roots, like steel
cable. But I keep mowing and slowly it turns back to grasses. I till
the garden in spring and fall, and keep most covered with weed block
cloth. I pick up the cloth at the end of the growing season and till,
then put the cloth back for winter so it can keep the weeds down in
spring... can't really till in early spring as the ground is too wet
but the cloth keeps the weeds from growing until the ground dries
enough to till. Weedblock cloth keeps the seeds from growing. Buy
good cloth from LeeValley.com, theirs lasts 10-15 years. The
vegetable garden is not a lot of work, but I mow ten acres every week,
that takes me two full days, not to mention keeping the brush around
the perimeters under control, and every year trees fall where I mow
that I need to clean up... lot's of work but it keeps me young.

[IMG] code is On

Hey Brooklyn1 Tynk[_2_] Gardening 2 30-05-2009 03:31 AM
Another Way to Keep Deer out of Your Garden Jeff Napier Lawns 0 16-07-2003 02:25 AM