Old 09-01-2015, 10:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default "For All the Tea in China"

Recommend book by Sharon Rose. Fascinating story of how in mid-19th Century the British controlling India sent botanists into the unknown "heart" of China to "steal" the finest Chinese tea to transplant in India; revive company fortunes.

Full of local color, a botanist's world, the politics of the era. And more about tea that I ever know could exist!

(idiomatic expression "Not for all the tea in China" = I wouldn't do it no matter what the reward)

I've been drinking "Emperor's Tea" -- top-grade mountain-grown Taiwane$e green tea for years.

What's your favorite?

HB
Old 09-01-2015, 11:14 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 01/09/2015 01:42 PM, Hypatia Nachshon wrote:
Recommend book by Sharon Rose. Fascinating story of how in mid-19th Century the British controlling India sent botanists into the unknown "heart" of China to "steal" the finest Chinese tea to transplant in India; revive company fortunes.

Full of local color, a botanist's world, the politics of the era. And more about tea that I ever know could exist!

(idiomatic expression "Not for all the tea in China" = I wouldn't do it no matter what the reward)

I've been drinking "Emperor's Tea" -- top-grade mountain-grown Taiwane$e green tea for years.

What's your favorite?

HB

Hi Higgs,

The wife and I adore Choice Organic Black Tea:

http://shop.choiceorganicteas.com/Cl...Teas@BlackTeas

Know a lot of people that adobe green tea. I never
could abide it: tastes too much like the inside of
a lawn mover bag.

-T
Old 18-01-2015, 05:38 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 01/09/2015 02:14 PM, Todd wrote:
[...]

Guess no one else likes tea on the group. Tea is a wonderful
indulgence
Old 18-01-2015, 10:23 PM posted to rec.gardens

Todd wrote:
Guess no one else likes tea on the group. Tea is a wonderful
indulgence

i like tea, but don't drink it that often now.
before when i was working long hours and coding a
lot i would drink quite a bit of it.

in the winter, once in a while, i'll have
a mug. either the standard lipton black tea
or some oolong.

songbird
Old 19-01-2015, 06:31 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 01/18/2015 01:23 PM, songbird wrote:
Todd wrote:
Guess no one else likes tea on the group. Tea is a wonderful
indulgence

i like tea, but don't drink it that often now.
before when i was working long hours and coding a
lot i would drink quite a bit of it.

in the winter, once in a while, i'll have
a mug. either the standard lipton black tea
or some oolong.

songbird

Hi Songbird,

I thought I did not like tea, until my wife introduced
me to tea other than Lipton. Then I discovered that I
adored tea. My wife and I drink it together. When my wife
or I ask "would you like a cups of tea?", I do not believe
the answer has ever been "no".

Lipton tastes to me like they are trying to do a cross over
between coffee and tea. I can see some point to that,
if you are going after coffee drinkers. But, we don't
drink coffee. Gives us both a belly ache.

Coding? No wonder you love to garden. When I code,
it warps my brain for about a half hour after I stop.
Maybe I should retire to the garden settle out. (A
good cup of Orange Pekoe works really well too.)

This is my wife and my favorite tea.

Old 19-01-2015, 08:11 PM posted to rec.gardens

Todd wrote:

i used to have a selection of about 30 teas handy,
now i have two. i get too jittery from caffiene, so
what caffiene i get comes from chocolate.

Coding? No wonder you love to garden. When I code,
it warps my brain for about a half hour after I stop.
Maybe I should retire to the garden settle out. (A
good cup of Orange Pekoe works really well too.)

coding is very easy to me once i can get uninterrupted
time (when i was at the university i worked full-time as a
programmer and also most of my course work was programming
-- 70-100hr weeks weren't unusual). around here there is
very little of that so i don't get very far too often on
projects and once i get pulled aside for something it may
take me a week or two before i can get back to it.

nothing i'm coding now is paid work or even all that
important. i'm at a point where i'm trying to find
what i want to do next but haven't found it yet. i might
be getting close though with recent thoughts i just have
to figure out how to do it and then get on with it. we'll
see what happens.

songbird
Old 19-01-2015, 11:13 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 01/19/2015 11:11 AM, songbird wrote:
Todd wrote:

i used to have a selection of about 30 teas handy,
now i have two. i get too jittery from caffiene, so
what caffiene i get comes from chocolate.

Coffee gives me a belly ache and makes me jittery weird.
Tea and Cocoa, no problem. I even find Tea helps me sleep
before bed time. Interesting how all of us vary.

Coding? No wonder you love to garden. When I code,
it warps my brain for about a half hour after I stop.
Maybe I should retire to the garden settle out. (A
good cup of Orange Pekoe works really well too.)

coding is very easy to me once i can get uninterrupted
time

I have to pick a time when the phone is quiet. Otherwise
I turn into a real Mr. Cranky Pants.

(when i was at the university i worked full-time as a
programmer and also most of my course work was programming
-- 70-100hr weeks weren't unusual).

Been there. Total burn out. Wish I had never done it.

around here there is
very little of that so i don't get very far too often on
projects and once i get pulled aside for something it may
take me a week or two before i can get back to it.

nothing i'm coding now is paid work or even all that
important. i'm at a point where i'm trying to find
what i want to do next but haven't found it yet. i might
be getting close though with recent thoughts i just have
to figure out how to do it and then get on with it. we'll
see what happens.

songbird

20+ years ago I coded tons in Modula2. Now I mainly code
in BASH for myself and sometimes for a customer with
a Linux machine. Sometimes I will code in Windows batch
for customers (what a nightmare language).

I wrote and maintain a sweet batch rotator for Cobian Backup
that I use all the time. Finds backup drives by their label
and has the fastest mass directory deleter I have ever seen.

Someday, someday, I will learn Perl.

-T

Just some trivia, if you have ever done any bash programming,
this is how to find the revision number of a Windows exe program
in Linux:

$ wine FileVer.exe mbam-rules.exe | awk '{print $5}'
2013.3.1.1

Old 20-01-2015, 01:00 AM posted to rec.gardens

Todd wrote:
songbird wrote:
Todd wrote:

vastly OT...

i used to have a selection of about 30 teas handy,
now i have two. i get too jittery from caffiene, so
what caffiene i get comes from chocolate.

Coffee gives me a belly ache and makes me jittery weird.
Tea and Cocoa, no problem. I even find Tea helps me sleep
before bed time. Interesting how all of us vary.

yep. i used to drink about half a cup of
coffee every day during the week at work and
would have a headache every Sunday. i love
the tastes of some of the varieties but a fair
number just smell like skunk to me.

(when i was at the university i worked full-time as a
programmer and also most of my course work was programming
-- 70-100hr weeks weren't unusual).

Been there. Total burn out. Wish I had never done it.

15 years almost to the day for me. i left right
about when the web was getting started. have always
done programming since then, but stuff that i've
wanted to do for fun.

20+ years ago I coded tons in Modula2. Now I mainly code
in BASH for myself and sometimes for a customer with
a Linux machine. Sometimes I will code in Windows batch
for customers (what a nightmare language).

I wrote and maintain a sweet batch rotator for Cobian Backup
that I use all the time. Finds backup drives by their label
and has the fastest mass directory deleter I have ever seen.

Someday, someday, I will learn Perl.

Just some trivia, if you have ever done any bash programming,
this is how to find the revision number of a Windows exe program
in Linux:

$ wine FileVer.exe mbam-rules.exe | awk '{print $5}'
2013.3.1.1

i don't usually do anything with windows these days.
the last time i did anything remotely was to use dosemu
to run an old spreadsheet program.

bash is fun, i do a fair amount of that for various
things. the past few years i've used it to build a
testing framework for two C programs that talk back and
forth to each other (rogue, rogomatic).

http://www.anthive.com/rog/rog.html
http://www.anthive.com/rog/other/things.html

i don't know which language i've written the most in
probably either C or Pascal, but as a CS student and
with the number of courses i had it wasn't uncommon
to learn several new ones in each class.

i have dabbled with python a little but that's about
all the past few years. more interested in doing other
things than learning yet another version of the same.

songbird
Old 27-01-2015, 10:33 AM posted to rec.gardens

Once upon a time on usenet songbird wrote:
Todd wrote:
Guess no one else likes tea on the group. Tea is a wonderful
indulgence

i like tea, but don't drink it that often now.
before when i was working long hours and coding a
lot i would drink quite a bit of it.

in the winter, once in a while, i'll have
a mug. either the standard lipton black tea
or some oolong.

Whenever I see the word 'oolong' it makes me think of the fighting machines
exalting in Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds.
--
Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

Old 27-01-2015, 09:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

Todd wrote:
Guess no one else likes tea on the group. Tea is a wonderful
indulgence

i like tea, but don't drink it that often now.
before when i was working long hours and coding a
lot i would drink quite a bit of it.

in the winter, once in a while, i'll have
a mug. either the standard lipton black tea
or some oolong.

Whenever I see the word 'oolong' it makes me think of the fighting machines
exalting in Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds.

Whenever I hear a woman say "kumquat" it evokes salacious thoughts.

Old 28-01-2015, 03:33 AM posted to rec.gardens

Todd wrote:
Guess no one else likes tea on the group. Tea is a wonderful
indulgence

i like tea, but don't drink it that often now.
before when i was working long hours and coding a
lot i would drink quite a bit of it.

in the winter, once in a while, i'll have
a mug. either the standard lipton black tea
or some oolong.

Whenever I see the word 'oolong' it makes me think of the fighting
machines exalting in Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds.

Whenever I hear a woman say "kumquat" it evokes salacious thoughts.

LOL. Not that us men need an excuse though right?

Speaking of... I have a 'Lime Quat' cutting that's showing a little top
growth, I'm just hoping to see roots soon.

Old 28-01-2015, 04:37 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Friday, January 9, 2015 at 2:14:29 PM UTC-8, Todd wrote:
[...]

That's because you have been - I conjecture - drinking the stuff sold as supermarket teabags.

REAL green tea is brewed very light -- just a pinch of the leaves - and not steeped very long.

If you ever get a chance to try real mountain-grown Chinese loose tea, you'll see what you have been missing.

HB
Old 28-01-2015, 04:43 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Monday, January 19, 2015 at 1:42:02 PM UTC-8, songbird wrote:
Todd wrote:

i used to have a selection of about 30 teas handy,
now i have two. i get too jittery from caffiene, so
what caffiene i get comes from chocolate.

[...]

I'm currently infatuated with Twining's Ginger-Lemon Herbal tea. Incorporates two of my favorite flavors. I don't have a problem with caffeine; I just enjoy the light, refreshing taste of this particular herbal tea.

HB
Old 28-01-2015, 05:29 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 01/27/2015 07:37 PM, Hypatia Nachshon wrote:
[...]

I look forward to it!
Old 10-02-2015, 05:34 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:
[...]

EBay has a lot of tea listings, with free shipping.
English breakfast tea is my favorite, then oolong, and
Earl Grey, black tea, and many others.

--