Old 02-02-2015, 01:47 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Climate Change?

Over the years 2006-2013 in my area, the average daily low temperature
for January was 50F and the average daily high was 64F.

In 2014, the average daily low was 57F and the average daily high was 74F.

This year, the average daily low was 54F and the average daily high was
68F.

No, two years do not make a climate trend. However, I see year-to-year
increasing averages of lows and highs in my area over the entire 9 years
for which I have daily January data. I also see similar trends for the
other months over the 8 years for which I have daily data for each month.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
Old 02-02-2015, 02:57 AM posted to rec.gardens

David E. Ross wrote:
Over the years 2006-2013 in my area, the average daily low temperature
for January was 50F and the average daily high was 64F.

In 2014, the average daily low was 57F and the average daily high was 74F.

This year, the average daily low was 54F and the average daily high was
68F.

No, two years do not make a climate trend. However, I see year-to-year
increasing averages of lows and highs in my area over the entire 9 years
for which I have daily January data. I also see similar trends for the
other months over the 8 years for which I have daily data for each month.

how are you doing for rain?

songbird
Old 02-02-2015, 04:32 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 2/1/2015 5:57 PM, songbird wrote:
David E. Ross wrote:
Over the years 2006-2013 in my area, the average daily low temperature
for January was 50F and the average daily high was 64F.

In 2014, the average daily low was 57F and the average daily high was 74F.

This year, the average daily low was 54F and the average daily high was
68F.

No, two years do not make a climate trend. However, I see year-to-year
increasing averages of lows and highs in my area over the entire 9 years
for which I have daily January data. I also see similar trends for the
other months over the 8 years for which I have daily data for each month.

how are you doing for rain?

songbird

Locally, we have had more rain already in 4 months than all of the prior
12 months; but we are still below average. I just heard that San
Francisco had zero rain this January; that was the first time since
records were kept (over 150 years) that San Francisco had a dry January.

Old 02-02-2015, 02:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

"David E. Ross" writes:

Over the years 2006-2013 in my area, the average daily low temperature
for January was 50F and the average daily high was 64F.

In 2014, the average daily low was 57F and the average daily high was 74F.

This year, the average daily low was 54F and the average daily high was
68F.

No, two years do not make a climate trend. However, I see year-to-year
increasing averages of lows and highs in my area over the entire 9 years
for which I have daily January data. I also see similar trends for the
other months over the 8 years for which I have daily data for each month.

Where is your area?
How are you getting these averages, is this something you are computing
or from some other source?

I thought it was interesting, last year (2014) was the hottest year
on record world wide, but the East coast of the USA (where I am)
was cooler than average.

--
Dan Espen
Old 02-02-2015, 05:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

David E. Ross wrote:
songbird wrote:

how are you doing for rain?

Locally, we have had more rain already in 4 months than all of the prior
12 months; but we are still below average. I just heard that San
Francisco had zero rain this January; that was the first time since
records were kept (over 150 years) that San Francisco had a dry January.

i'm glad there has been some rains, but i cannot
tell from a distance how much of what i see on the
radar actually makes it to the ground or to the
snow pack in the mountains.

interesting about SF, but i thought i saw some
storms going through there... hmmm. must have
went north. the northern part looks to have
gotten a lot more.

songbird

Old 02-02-2015, 05:49 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 2/2/2015 5:42 AM, Dan Espen wrote:
"David E. Ross" writes:

[...]

I am in southern California, between the San Fernando Valley and the
city of Thousand Oaks, about 3 miles north of the Ventura Freeway (US
101). The Cheeseboro automated weather station (CHE) is located about 2
miles east of my house. It is maintained by the National Park Service
since it is in the Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area,
which immediate borders my community on the north and east and includes
land about 3 miles to the south.

CHE feeds data via satellite to a computer in Sacramento operated by the
California Department of Water Resources (DWR). In turn, the DWR's
computer generates a Web page displaying hourly values of temperature,
cumulative rainfall since the start of the "rain year", relative
humidity, wind speed and direction, maximum wind gust speed and
direction, estimated moisture content and temperature of adjacent fuel
(mostly chaparral), and the state of the station's battery. The default
is to display these data over the past 12 hours, but I use an option
that displays 24 hours. The page is automatically updated about 45
minutes after the hour.

Also, the DWR's Web site provides tools to access historical data.
These include hourly temperature and accumulated rainfall back to 1997
and daily maximum and minimum temperatures back to 2005 (hourly minimums
and maximums back to 2001).

For further details about my climate, see my
http://www.rossde.com/garden/climate.html.

Old 02-02-2015, 09:19 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 2/1/2015 7:47 PM, David E. Ross wrote:
Over the years 2006-2013 in my area, the average daily low temperature
for January was 50F and the average daily high was 64F.

In 2014, the average daily low was 57F and the average daily high was 74F.

This year, the average daily low was 54F and the average daily high was
68F.

No, two years do not make a climate trend. However, I see year-to-year
increasing averages of lows and highs in my area over the entire 9 years
for which I have daily January data. I also see similar trends for the
other months over the 8 years for which I have daily data for each month.

Spotted this article on warming:

http://townhall.com/columnists/jeffj...story-n1951433

Conservative source but I also remember hearing it elsewhere.

Last year here in Northern DE we had our second highest recorded years
snowfalls yet this year I have not even fired up my snow thrower once.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:52 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 3/02/2015 7:19 AM, Frank wrote:
On 2/1/2015 7:47 PM, David E. Ross wrote:
Over the years 2006-2013 in my area, the average daily low temperature
for January was 50F and the average daily high was 64F.

In 2014, the average daily low was 57F and the average daily high was
74F.

This year, the average daily low was 54F and the average daily high was
68F.

No, two years do not make a climate trend. However, I see year-to-year
increasing averages of lows and highs in my area over the entire 9 years
for which I have daily January data. I also see similar trends for the
other months over the 8 years for which I have daily data for each month.

Spotted this article on warming:

http://townhall.com/columnists/jeffj...story-n1951433

Conservative source but I also remember hearing it elsewhere.

The person who wrote that article you cite either a) can't read for
comprehension when checking sources, b) told lies about the sources he
says he's quoting, or, to be mildly charitable, c) didn't bother to
check the sources he says he's using.

The writer says that both NASA's Goddard Institute for Space Studies and
NOAA's National Climatic Data Center were less categorical about 2014
being the warmest year on record than what news accounts which all sya
that it was the warmest year on record. That is a total fiction, lie or
failure to understand on the author's part.

Both of those organisations state very, very clearly that 2014 WAS the
hottest year on record.

http://www.giss.nasa.gov/
http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/global/

He also goes on to propagate that old porky of "no global warming for 18
years". Again, on that score both of those organsations show that he's
clueless if he really does believe that:
http://www.giss.nasa.gov/research/news/20150116/

Old 03-02-2015, 02:16 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 2/2/2015 4:52 PM, Fran Farmer wrote:
s part.

Both of those organisations state very, very clearly that 2014 WAS the
hottest year on record.

http://www.giss.nasa.gov/
http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/global/

He also goes on to propagate that old porky of "no global warming for 18
years". Again, on that score both of those organsations show that he's
clueless if he really does believe that:
http://www.giss.nasa.gov/research/news/20150116/

Good. I like it getting warmer.
Old 03-02-2015, 05:34 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 3/02/2015 12:16 PM, Stronzo Bestiale wrote:
On 2/2/2015 4:52 PM, Fran Farmer wrote:
s part.

Both of those organisations state very, very clearly that 2014 WAS the
hottest year on record.

http://www.giss.nasa.gov/
http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/global/

He also goes on to propagate that old porky of "no global warming for 18
years". Again, on that score both of those organsations show that he's
clueless if he really does believe that:
http://www.giss.nasa.gov/research/news/20150116/

Good. I like it getting warmer.

:-)) Well it's been called 'climate change' now for quite some time as
opposed to the older name of 'global warming'. The climate may not get
warmer in certain spots. It will supposedly get more variable - longer
and hotter spells, colder and longer cold spells and more or less rain
and more savage weather events etc. In short, less predictable. that f
course is of great interest to use gardeners.

I'm having a cooler than usual summer and still havnet'had a ripe tomato
and my basil is pathetic. I'm hoping for a lot of hot weather in
February which is usually quite hot and the last chance for decent
warmth before Autumn comes in mid March.

Old 04-02-2015, 11:45 AM posted to rec.gardens

Fran Farmer wrote:
[...]

Since you live on Cold Mountain I thought you would be wanting it warmer too
and voting for batears Tony the swimwear model so we can export more coal,
frack deeper and wider for more gas and get the place really warm. Who
cares if those heathen buggers on atols have to swim for it if you can get
your basil looking nice. I mean really, they chose to live in a tropical
paradise why should we care. Think of the jobs that will be created in the
expanded navy turning back the boats, it will be a real win-win.

--
David

A better world requires a daily struggle
against those who would mislead us.

Old 05-02-2015, 01:24 AM posted to rec.gardens

Fran Farmer wrote:

I'm having a cooler than usual summer and still havnet'had a ripe
tomato and my basil is pathetic. I'm hoping for a lot of hot weather
in February which is usually quite hot and the last chance for decent
warmth before Autumn comes in mid March.

Since you live on Cold Mountain I thought you would be wanting it warmer
too and voting for batears Tony the swimwear model so we can export more
coal, frack deeper and wider for more gas and get the place really
warm. Who cares if those heathen buggers on atols have to swim for it
if you can get your basil looking nice. I mean really, they chose to
live in a tropical paradise why should we care. Think of the jobs that
will be created in the expanded navy turning back the boats, it will be
a real win-win.

Having seen our PM up close and person in a job that I did for a bit
over a decade, I loathe the swine. I would not believe anything he
said, ever. He on a par with the other denialists. Can't, won't, or is
incapable of doing his homework.

I'm constantly astounded when I see him on TV - how did we end up with
such an embarrassing clutz in the top job. And how on earth he managed
to get a Rhodes Scholarship since I consider him to be as dumb as a pile
of dog droppings. I can only assume that Oxford needed a boxing Blue at
the time that he got the Scholarship.

I eagerly await the knives of his colleagues. Once the fever pitch of
speculation about a new leader reaches this stage, it's 'all over red
rover' for the incumbent.

I relish every single plea for consideration that comes from his lips.
I hope the treatment escalates and he gets what he dished out to Julia.

I know that Turnbull has had a lot of traffic to his door. The trouble
is that the Right can't stand him. Too dumb to have yet figured out that
the mood of the electorate has changed.