Old 05-02-2015, 09:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Ping David E. Ross: rain!

Hi David,

I caught this on the National Weather Service's web site:

"Heavy rain, strong winds expected across Pacific Northwest
and northern California

A weather system tapping into subtropical moisture will
bring abundant rainfall to the Pacific Northwest and
northern California through the weekend. The heaviest
rainfall is expected Thursday night into Friday. Rainfall
amounts in excess of 5 in. are possible through Saturday
evening, especially across northern Calif. This system
will also bring high winds to the region, with gusts up to
60 mph.

Read Mo http://1.usa.gov/1xSPREk

Hope you get some of it down there.

-T
Old 06-02-2015, 02:50 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 2/5/2015 12:22 PM, T wrote:
Hi David,

I caught this on the National Weather Service's web site:

"Heavy rain, strong winds expected across Pacific Northwest
and northern California

A weather system tapping into subtropical moisture will
bring abundant rainfall to the Pacific Northwest and
northern California through the weekend. The heaviest
rainfall is expected Thursday night into Friday. Rainfall
amounts in excess of 5 in. are possible through Saturday
evening, especially across northern Calif. This system
will also bring high winds to the region, with gusts up to
60 mph.

Read Mo http://1.usa.gov/1xSPREk

Hope you get some of it down there.

-T

Unfortunately, most storms that affect northern and central California
weaken significantly before they reach southern California. Often, they
do not cross the Tehachapi Mountain ridge.

The latest National Weather Service forecast (2:30 pm Pacific time)
indicates a 50% to 70% chance of rain by Saturday. Many years ago, a
meteorologist told me that means only 50% to 70% of the area will get
any rain with 30% to 50% of the area remaining dry.

However, heavy storms in northern California are what southern
California needs. Most of our water comes by aqueduct from the north.
Our long-term storage depends more on northern snow-pack than on
reservoirs. I am concerned because the forecast also indicates
above-average temperatures all across California, which will limit the
amount of snow in the north.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
Old 06-02-2015, 03:51 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 02/05/2015 05:50 PM, David E. Ross wrote:
On 2/5/2015 12:22 PM, T wrote:
[...]

The 4km infrared satellite shows it coming!

http://sat.wrh.noaa.gov/satellite/sh...type=ir&size=4

Old 07-02-2015, 11:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 2/5/2015 12:22 PM, T wrote:

However, heavy storms in northern California are what southern
California needs. Most of our water comes by aqueduct from the north.
Our long-term storage depends more on northern snow-pack than on
reservoirs. I am concerned because the forecast also indicates
above-average temperatures all across California, which will limit the
amount of snow in the north.

Yesterday it started with 90 MPH sustained winds and blowing sand.
At times visibility was only about 50 feet.

Blew down both my side fences and messed up both my gates.
The whole county is in a terrible mess.

Then last night the wind died down to 35 MPH and it rained
all night.

Today, the wind in down to 25 MPH and it rains off an on.

No damage to my house. Other had their roofs blown off.
Virtually no fence in the county did not sustain damage.

I guess you should be careful what you wish for.

The sand blew right through your windows. The sills are
dark brown with the stuff. At least with the rain now,
the blowing sand is gone.
Old 08-02-2015, 12:06 AM posted to rec.gardens

T wrote:
The sand blew right through your windows. The sills are
dark brown with the stuff. At least with the rain now,
the blowing sand is gone.

almost sounds like the dustbowl days.

songbird

Old 08-02-2015, 12:11 AM posted to rec.gardens

David E. Ross wrote:
However, heavy storms in northern California are what southern
California needs. Most of our water comes by aqueduct from the north.
Our long-term storage depends more on northern snow-pack than on
reservoirs. I am concerned because the forecast also indicates
above-average temperatures all across California, which will limit the
amount of snow in the north.

it looks like these past few days are dropping a lot
of moisture on the mountain tops so i sure hope that
is adding up to a lot more snow pack for you folks.

songbird
Old 08-02-2015, 01:24 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 2/7/2015 3:11 PM, songbird wrote:
David E. Ross wrote:
However, heavy storms in northern California are what southern
California needs. Most of our water comes by aqueduct from the north.
Our long-term storage depends more on northern snow-pack than on
reservoirs. I am concerned because the forecast also indicates
above-average temperatures all across California, which will limit the
amount of snow in the north.

it looks like these past few days are dropping a lot
of moisture on the mountain tops so i sure hope that
is adding up to a lot more snow pack for you folks.

songbird

I'm not hopeful about snow. The entire state has been experiencing
above average temperatures.

"Rain years" are measured from 1 October to 30 September of the
following calendar year. That is because most rain falls December
through February. As of 3:00pm Pacific time today, my area has had 6.8
inches of rain so far this rain year. That is more than the entire
rainfall during the 12 months of each of the prior two rain years:
2012-2013 had 5.2 inches and 2013-2014 had 5.9 inches. However, the
average over the rain years 2003-2004 through 2011-2012 was 13.1 inches.

Old 08-02-2015, 01:51 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 02/07/2015 04:24 PM, David E. Ross wrote:

I'm not hopeful about snow. The entire state has been experiencing
above average temperatures.

There is snow out the back window on the back side of the (10,000 to
14,000 foot) Sierras. But Lake Tahoe got rain, so it is pretty high
up. Tahoe and Carson City are about the same elevation. But
Carson City is not in the rain shadow.

Since Maritime Tropicals (this storm) alternate with Maritime
Polar storms, the next one should be pretty cold.

Hopefully, only moderate windows this next time. I was
waiting to see a wild horse go flying by my window.

Old 08-02-2015, 08:59 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 02/07/2015 03:06 PM, songbird wrote:
T wrote:
The sand blew right through your windows. The sills are
dark brown with the stuff. At least with the rain now,
the blowing sand is gone.

almost sounds like the dustbowl days.

songbird

Hi Songbird,

Pretty much. Fortunately, only for one day.

Looks like rain off and on for the next three days.

I do like rain and snow. I can't stand overcast.
I want something to happen. Sunshine is good too.

Now if we can only get these storms to go a little
further south so that David can get wet too. :-)

-T
Old 08-02-2015, 06:45 PM posted to rec.gardens

T wrote:
Looks like rain off and on for the next three days.

I do like rain and snow. I can't stand overcast.
I want something to happen. Sunshine is good too.

heh, sunshine is great here when it happens.
in the middle of winter it is really nice to have
a sunny day. it is blinding when the snow is
fresh.

Now if we can only get these storms to go a little
further south so that David can get wet too. :-)

dunno what happened the past few days there but
it does look like more rain for today for the mid-
section and northern parts. as for snow pack reports
the site:

http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/

is as official as it gets.

songbird

Old 08-02-2015, 07:19 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 2/8/2015 9:45 AM, songbird wrote:
T wrote:
Looks like rain off and on for the next three days.

I do like rain and snow. I can't stand overcast.
I want something to happen. Sunshine is good too.

heh, sunshine is great here when it happens.
in the middle of winter it is really nice to have
a sunny day. it is blinding when the snow is
fresh.

Now if we can only get these storms to go a little
further south so that David can get wet too. :-)

dunno what happened the past few days there but
it does look like more rain for today for the mid-
section and northern parts. as for snow pack reports
the site:

http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/

is as official as it gets.

songbird

I looked at that site. In terms of snowpack, the picture is bleak.

None of the major state reservoirs are indicated at that site. I prefer
http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/reports/EXECSUM, which is only
updated monthly. This one shows "Snowpack Water Content" statewide and
individually for three regions of the Sierras. As of New Year day, the
snowpack ranged from 44% to 56% of the to-date average; state-wide it
was 49%.

That page also lists the 12 major reservoirs operated by the California
Department of Water Resources. A little computation (via copy and paste
into a spreadsheet) shows that, as of the beginning of this year, those
reservoirs held only 34% of their combined capacity.

I anxiously await the 1 February update.

Old 08-02-2015, 08:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

David E. Ross wrote:
I looked at that site. In terms of snowpack, the picture is bleak.

there has definitely been a lot more moisture
the past few weeks, but i'm not sure how much of
it translated into snow and what amount will end
up showing in the reservoirs even sooner.

None of the major state reservoirs are indicated at that site. I prefer
http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/reports/EXECSUM, which is only
updated monthly. This one shows "Snowpack Water Content" statewide and
individually for three regions of the Sierras. As of New Year day, the
snowpack ranged from 44% to 56% of the to-date average; state-wide it
was 49%.

i didn't know the state had it's own separate reservoir
setups, but good to know, i'll add that link to my book-
mark collection. : )

how do your numbers compare to:

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/getAll?sens_num=15

?

That page also lists the 12 major reservoirs operated by the California
Department of Water Resources. A little computation (via copy and paste
into a spreadsheet) shows that, as of the beginning of this year, those
reservoirs held only 34% of their combined capacity.

I anxiously await the 1 February update.

i think the March 1 update will be quite different based
upon what i've been seeing the past few weeks on the radars.

ah, in nosing around perhaps some of what i've seen is
already reflected in the above link...

songbird
Old 09-02-2015, 01:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 2/8/2015 11:44 AM, songbird wrote:
David E. Ross wrote:
[...]

My data only includes the 12 major reservoirs listed at
http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/reports/EXECSUM. Your link
includes a number of locally operated reservoirs that serve only their
local areas.