Old 17-02-2015, 08:12 PM
Registered User

Location: Bristol
Default Wrought Iron or Glass Balcony?

I love my garden and I have room to create a balcony space where I will be putting seasonal plants in pots as well as baskets. My dilemma is whether to choose a traditional wrought iron balcony or go for something more modern like a glass balcony. My home is neither old nor new; built circa 1950. I've seen some great look balconies in both iron a glass, with steel or wood decking; wondered which would be most practical and easy for maintenance.
Old 17-02-2015, 08:13 PM
Registered User

Location: Bristol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela Dean View Post
I love my garden and I have room to create a balcony space where I will be putting seasonal plants in pots as well as baskets. My dilemma is whether to choose a traditional wrought iron balcony or go for something more modern like a glass balcony. My home is neither old nor new; built circa 1950. I've seen some great look balconies in both iron a glass, with steel or wood decking; wondered which would be most practical and easy for maintenance.
PS. I found some great inspiration on Classic Ironworks | Design and Build but still unsure which way to go
Old 17-02-2015, 09:49 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 18/02/2015 7:12 AM, Angela Dean wrote:
I love my garden and I have room to create a balcony space where I will
be putting seasonal plants in pots as well as baskets. My dilemma is
whether to choose a traditional wrought iron balcony or go for something
more modern like a glass balcony. My home is neither old nor new; built
circa 1950. I've seen some great look balconies in both iron a glass,
with steel or wood decking; wondered which would be most practical and
easy for maintenance.

Glass for a balcony on a 1950 house doesn't seem right somehow, but then
not knowing your house or how it may have changed in the past 70 years
then my advice is probably irrelevant.

Old 17-02-2015, 10:11 PM posted to rec.gardens

Angela Dean wrote:

I love my garden and I have room to create a balcony space where I will
be putting seasonal plants in pots as well as baskets. My dilemma is
whether to choose a traditional wrought iron balcony or go for something
more modern like a glass balcony. My home is neither old nor new; built
circa 1950. I've seen some great look balconies in both iron a glass,
with steel or wood decking; wondered which would be most practical and
easy for maintenance.

Do you mean the entire balcony, just the railing, or?
Old 17-02-2015, 11:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

Angela Dean wrote:
I love my garden and I have room to create a balcony space where I
will be putting seasonal plants in pots as well as baskets. My
dilemma is whether to choose a traditional wrought iron balcony or go
for something more modern like a glass balcony. My home is neither
old nor new; built circa 1950. I've seen some great look balconies in
both iron a glass, with steel or wood decking; wondered which would
be most practical and easy for maintenance.

Near the ocean don't go near iron as it won't last.

Glass needs regular cleaning or it will look grubby, when sitting down you
look through it and it is noticeable.

As for the look on your house I couldn't guess not having seen the house.

--
David

Corporate propaganda is their
protection against democracy

Old 20-02-2015, 09:05 PM
Registered User

Location: Bristol

Thanks for your replies. Sorry to not have been so specific; I mean just the railings not the entire balcony. I guess I will go with wrought iron as glass will not really fit in with the rest of my house; I was thinking about the maintenance issues but now having realised how often I would have to clean the glass I think that wrought iron is going to win.
Old 25-02-2015, 03:14 PM
Registered User

Location: Kent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela Dean View Post
Thanks for your replies. Sorry to not have been so specific; I mean just the railings not the entire balcony. I guess I will go with wrought iron as glass will not really fit in with the rest of my house; I was thinking about the maintenance issues but now having realised how often I would have to clean the glass I think that wrought iron is going to win.
Hello Angela,

Sounds like a great project, we do durable felt wall hanging pouches made out of recycled plastic bottles for vertical gardens, edible walls etc... which you maybe interested in a small floral living wall or perhaps a herb wall garden on your balcony.
Old 25-02-2015, 03:17 PM
Registered User

Location: Kent

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallgarden View Post

I should add the wall hogger range can be found at wallgarden.co.uk
Old 27-02-2015, 09:22 AM posted to rec.gardens

Angela Dean wrote:
Thanks for your replies. Sorry to not have been so specific; I mean just
the railings not the entire balcony. I guess I will go with wrought iron
as glass will not really fit in with the rest of my house; I was
thinking about the maintenance issues but now having realised how often
I would have to clean the glass I think that wrought iron is going to
win.

If you are making or getting the rail made consider hot dipped
galvanizing, it will be more expensive but will last much longer with
less maintenance.
Old 27-02-2015, 04:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Fri, 27 Feb 2015 20:22:52 +1100, F Murtz
wrote:

Angela Dean wrote:
Thanks for your replies. Sorry to not have been so specific; I mean just
the railings not the entire balcony. I guess I will go with wrought iron
as glass will not really fit in with the rest of my house; I was
thinking about the maintenance issues but now having realised how often
I would have to clean the glass I think that wrought iron is going to
win.

If you are making or getting the rail made consider hot dipped
galvanizing, it will be more expensive but will last much longer with
less maintenance.

Nowadays there are very nice powder coated aluminum railings, no
maintainence and a large choice of very attractive styles.
Many web sites:
http://www.duradek.com/powder-coated/
http://www.diggerspecialties.com/pro...uminum-Railing
http://www.versadeck.com/products/aluminum_railing.php