Old 06-03-2015, 08:45 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Gardening and climate change

All of us home gardeners are affected, to one degree or another & will be
into the future. (Not to mention major food suppliers, even in "developed" countries.)

The deniers (including powerful committee chairmen in the US Congress) are still out there serving their Corporate Masters, but let us hope that their in$anity will become less influential as facts develop.

An entertaining article about the exposure of Willie Soon, one of the most corrupt "scientist" deniers can be found at:

http://www.onearth.org/earthwire/willie-soon-reader

OR

http://www.onearth.org/earthwire

You will need to scroll way down -- past some very useful articles -- to:

"All your Willie Soon schadenfreude in one handy article".

HB

"You can fool some of the people all of the time, all of the people some of the time, but not all of the people all of the time."

Abraham Lincoln

HB

Old 06-03-2015, 11:34 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 3/6/2015 3:45 PM, Hypatia Nachshon wrote:
[...]

Sara,
Who do you think funds all the scientists supporting global warming?
Old 08-03-2015, 09:19 PM posted to rec.gardens

It's been nice to see some life in the group again. Let's not kill it by getting political. I'd rather just read about the gardening advice and experiences from others and take the divisive stuff somewhere else.

A little late getting things started this year myself. Just got the pepper seeds put into pots yesterday. Will get the tomatoes seeds into some dirt either today or tomorrow. As I'm potting things up, it seems my eyes were bigger than my garden space one again, so again I'm going to have to put some veggie plants in with the flowers (or wherever I can find room).

Old 08-03-2015, 09:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 9/03/2015 8:19 AM, snotbottom wrote:
It's been nice to see some life in the group again. Let's not kill it by getting political. I'd rather just read about the gardening advice and experiences from others and take the divisive stuff somewhere else.

Climate Change has an impact on those of us who do bother to garden and
who also try to have productive gardens. That makes climate change on
topic here. Climate change only becomes a divisive issue here when
those who can't read for comprehension try to deny that it is a reality.

Old 08-03-2015, 10:09 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 3/8/2015 5:50 PM, Fran Farmer wrote:
On 9/03/2015 8:19 AM, snotbottom wrote:
It's been nice to see some life in the group again. Let's not kill it
by getting political. I'd rather just read about the gardening advice
and experiences from others and take the divisive stuff somewhere else.

Climate Change has an impact on those of us who do bother to garden and
who also try to have productive gardens. That makes climate change on
topic here. Climate change only becomes a divisive issue here when
those who can't read for comprehension try to deny that it is a reality.

He's right. You and Sara are getting political.

Old 08-03-2015, 10:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

Stronzo Bestiale wrote:
On 3/8/2015 5:50 PM, Fran Farmer wrote:
On 9/03/2015 8:19 AM, snotbottom wrote:
It's been nice to see some life in the group again. Let's not kill
it by getting political. I'd rather just read about the gardening
advice and experiences from others and take the divisive stuff
somewhere else.

Climate Change has an impact on those of us who do bother to garden
and who also try to have productive gardens. That makes climate
change on topic here. Climate change only becomes a divisive issue
here when those who can't read for comprehension try to deny that it
is a reality.

He's right. You and Sara are getting political.

And here was I thinking it was a matter of science. Silly me.

--
David

Corporate propaganda is their
protection against democracy
Old 09-03-2015, 12:38 AM posted to rec.gardens

"David Hare-Scott" writes:

Stronzo Bestiale wrote:
On 3/8/2015 5:50 PM, Fran Farmer wrote:
On 9/03/2015 8:19 AM, snotbottom wrote:
It's been nice to see some life in the group again. Let's not kill
it by getting political. I'd rather just read about the gardening
advice and experiences from others and take the divisive stuff
somewhere else.

Climate Change has an impact on those of us who do bother to garden
and who also try to have productive gardens. That makes climate
change on topic here. Climate change only becomes a divisive issue
here when those who can't read for comprehension try to deny that it
is a reality.

He's right. You and Sara are getting political.

And here was I thinking it was a matter of science. Silly me.

Surely you've noticed that one political party here in the USA
is having none of it.

Here in NJ, the snow on the ground is still over a foot deep.
But my orchid has been blooming non-stop since around XMAS.
What a beautiful plant.

The XMAS cactus have been going since before Thanksgiving.

--
Dan Espen
Old 09-03-2015, 02:21 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 3/8/2015 5:38 PM, Dan Espen wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" writes:

Stronzo Bestiale wrote:
[...]

In southern California, we have had only 108 hours of winter chill so
far (hours at or below 45F measured from 1 November to 31 March). The
winter of 2013-2014 was warm, but by this time we already had 127 hours.
The average for the winters 2000-2001 through 2012-2013 was 366 hours.

Roses are blooming a month early. Stone fruit trees (peach, plum, etc)
lack normal vigor. Some deciduous shade trees are failing to leaf out.
None of the affected plants belong to any political party.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
Old 09-03-2015, 02:45 AM posted to rec.gardens

Just sayin'

I've seen this group go up and down in activity several times over the years. Every time it falls off is because someone wants to use it as a soapbox for their chosen hot button topic and people grow tired of it and go elsewhere. I'd rather that those topics go somewhere else and keep this forum for gardening advice and sharing personal experiences.

BTW... I never said I disagreed, but you seem to be more than ready to jump in and judge. I just said that I don't want to see that stuff here and wreck what is becoming a good thing once again.
Old 09-03-2015, 02:54 AM posted to rec.gardens

"David Hare-Scott" writes:

Stronzo Bestiale wrote:
[...]

Not good.

None of the affected plants belong to any political party.

How can you tell?

I'm on my way to age 70. I thought I would have fled from the cold
by now, but maybe I've stayed in the NE too long. I think I might
miss it.

I guess it would be nice to see some green things but snow is nice
too. I don't even mind shoveling it.

A couple of days ago we had another 4 inches of snow and the holly
I planted a couple of years back was finally covered completely.
There was just a little 2 inch bump in the snow.
Yesterday, 2 leaves popped out clear of the snow and today
a could see 6 or 7 leaves.

That was pretty much it for green things in the yard
actually doing something.

--
Dan Espen

Old 09-03-2015, 07:40 AM posted to rec.gardens

snotbottom wrote:
Just sayin'

I've seen this group go up and down in activity several times over
the years. Every time it falls off is because someone wants to use
it as a soapbox for their chosen hot button topic and people grow
tired of it and go elsewhere. I'd rather that those topics go
somewhere else and keep this forum for gardening advice and sharing
personal experiences.

BTW... I never said I disagreed, but you seem to be more than ready
to jump in and judge. I just said that I don't want to see that
stuff here and wreck what is becoming a good thing once again.

Following that logic discussion of growing potatos and corn would be banned
because some people here passionately (and repeatedly) declare that eating
any carbohydrates is bad for your health.

Isn't dealing with aberant weather patterns gardening advice?

Old 09-03-2015, 08:33 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 9/03/2015 1:45 PM, snotbottom wrote:
Just sayin'

Yes, you did say. The least you could do is to stand by what you said.

You made a statement. I disagreed with it. The dog didn't eat my
homework.

I've seen this group go up and down in activity several times over the years. Every time it falls off is because someone wants to use it as a soapbox for their chosen hot button topic and people grow tired of it and go elsewhere. I'd rather that those topics go somewhere else and keep this forum for gardening advice and sharing personal experiences.

Climate change in my country and my garden is not a "soapbox" issue, nor
is it a "hot button" issue.

And since you don't seem to have noticed, we DO share personal
experiences here and have done for years. Although I don't actually
recall any posts of yours at all.

Now to the issue to which you object: I do own a garden, I do garden as
opposed to pretending that I do. My personal experiences in my Garden
includes the variabililty predicted as a result of climate change,
therefore I will continue to post on my experience in my garden and any
other issue which I believe to be on topic to gardening.

I will not resile from making posts that relate to my 'on topic'
experiences or my 'on topic' interests because posters in other
countries cannot differentiate their own parochial political views from
the scientific research.

BTW... I never said I disagreed, but you seem to be more than ready to jump in and judge. I just said that I don't want to see that stuff here and wreck what is becoming a good thing once again.

You jumped in, you told a group of international posters what they
should and shouldn't be posting based on your own form of judging and
then try to claim it's because of the good of this group. In a pig's
ear it is.
Old 09-03-2015, 01:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 3/9/2015 3:37 AM, Fran Farmer wrote:
On 9/03/2015 9:09 AM, Stronzo Bestiale wrote:
On 3/8/2015 5:50 PM, Fran Farmer wrote:
On 9/03/2015 8:19 AM, snotbottom wrote:
It's been nice to see some life in the group again. Let's not kill it
by getting political. I'd rather just read about the gardening advice
and experiences from others and take the divisive stuff somewhere else.

Climate Change has an impact on those of us who do bother to garden and
who also try to have productive gardens. That makes climate change on
topic here. Climate change only becomes a divisive issue here when
those who can't read for comprehension try to deny that it is a reality.

He's right. You and Sara are getting political.

It's science.

Oh, you a scientist?
Old 09-03-2015, 01:31 PM posted to rec.gardens

Stronzo Bestiale wrote:
Fran Farmer wrote:
Stronzo Bestiale wrote:
Fran Farmer wrote:
snotbottom wrote:
It's been nice to see some life in the group again. Let's not kill it
by getting political. I'd rather just read about the gardening advice
and experiences from others and take the divisive stuff somewhere else.

Climate Change has an impact on those of us who do bother to garden and
who also try to have productive gardens. That makes climate change on
topic here. Climate change only becomes a divisive issue here when
those who can't read for comprehension try to deny that it is a reality.

He's right. You and Sara are getting political.

It's science.

Oh, you a scientist?

Climate has been changing for a Billion years, so imperceptively
slowly that it has zero effect on a lifetime of gardening, not even
100 life times of gardening. All anyone who gardens need do regarding
climate change is to check their daily weather report and even that is
wrong at least 50% of the time. The people here who insist on arguing
climate change are those pinheads who do not garden, not a one of
those shit stirrers has ever shown pictures of their garden... it's
all their fantasy... the closest they come to gardening is shopping
Walmart's produce.