Old 18-04-2015, 05:20 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Can I get tomato plants from seeds of store-bought tomatoes?

We had some very delicious cherry tomatoes from our local supermarket. If we plant the seeds from those tomatoes, what are the chances of actually getting some of the seeds to sprout, or are the seeds likely to be infertile because the tomatoes are some sort of hybrid?
Old 18-04-2015, 09:11 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Saturday, April 18, 2015 at 10:20:23 AM UTC-5, wrote:
We had some very delicious cherry tomatoes from our local supermarket. If we plant the seeds from those tomatoes, what are the chances of actually getting some of the seeds to sprout, or are the seeds likely to be infertile because the tomatoes are some sort of hybrid?

Do I have to dry them for some period of time before planting??
Old 19-04-2015, 05:54 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Sat, 18 Apr 2015 08:20:21 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

We had some very delicious cherry tomatoes from our local supermarket. If we plant the seeds from those tomatoes, what are the chances of actually getting some of the seeds to sprout, or are the seeds likely to be infertile because the tomatoes are some sort of hybrid?

Oh, indeed, they can sprout and grow, but unpredictably so in both
viability and breeding true.

I am a devoted composter and have gotten great "volunteers" from the
winter's store-bought tomato leavings that have contained seeds in
what has gotten spread on beds come spring.

Boron
Old 19-04-2015, 03:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

hrhofmann wrote:

We had some very delicious cherry tomatoes from our local supermarket.
If we plant the seeds from those tomatoes, what are the chances of actually
getting some of the seeds to sprout, or are the seeds likely to be infertile
because the tomatoes are some sort of hybrid?

Hybrids will produce but rarely true to form.

Do I have to dry them for some period of time before planting??

Only if you intend to save them, if planted immediately drying is not
necessary.

Old 19-04-2015, 05:10 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 4/19/2015 12:52 AM, Hypatia Nachshon wrote:
On Saturday, April 18, 2015 at 7:48:05 PM UTC-7, Fran Farmer wrote:
On 19/04/2015 5:11 AM, wrote:
On Saturday, April 18, 2015 at 10:20:23 AM UTC-5, wrote:
We had some very delicious cherry tomatoes from our local supermarket. If we plant the seeds from those tomatoes, what are the chances of actually getting some of the seeds to sprout, or are the seeds likely to be infertile because the tomatoes are some sort of hybrid?

Do I have to dry them for some period of time before planting??

No. Saving tomato seed is very easy. The way to save tomato seed is to
scoop the seeds into a glass or jar and add a bit of water to cover
them. Let them sit on the kitchen bench for a couple of day then the
pour the seeds and water into a sieve and run cold water over them and
most of the sticky residue will rinse off. Dry on some paper towel and
then tear of bits of the paper towel adn plant the seeds and paper et
Viola! New tomatoes.

Fran, would this work (paper towel) for poppy (flower) seeds? The instructions are to mix the TINY seeds with sand before planting. I could go down to the beach & get some sand, but am intrigued with the "bits of paper towel. Workable?

HB

If your beach is at the ocean, you must first rinse all the salt out of
the sand. Just be careful where you drain the rinse water so that you
do not salt-poison any garden soil or septic system.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
Old 19-04-2015, 05:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

We had some very delicious cherry tomatoes from our local supermarket. If we plant the seeds from those tomatoes, what are the chances of actually getting some of the seeds to sprout, or are the seeds likely to be infertile because the tomatoes are some sort of hybrid?

Oh, indeed, they can sprout and grow, but unpredictably so in both
viability and breeding true.

I am a devoted composter and have gotten great "volunteers" from the
winter's store-bought tomato leavings that have contained seeds in
what has gotten spread on beds come spring.

Boron

Indeed. My aunt had a ragged compost heap of indeterminate age at her house
and by July it was invariably covered by tomato, cucumber, melon and other
plants which popped up on their own. Non-hybrid fruiting plants which don't
produce viable seeds don't last long in a natural setting.

Old 19-04-2015, 05:49 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

No seedlings last long here unless I protect rows with chicken wire
cages, soon as seeds sprout the crows snatch every one.
Old 19-04-2015, 07:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 19/04/2015 5:11 AM, wrote:
[...]

THANKS!!! Opaque me never THOUGHT of that angle!!! \\HB
Old 20-04-2015, 12:09 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 19/04/2015 5:11 AM, wrote:
[...]

I don't think so Higgs. The paper towel works with the tomato seeds
because they dry onto the towel after the fermented goo has been washed
off. It's easier to tear up the towel than to try to peel off the
seeds. I think that poppy seeds added to sand and spread like carrot
seed would work if you wanted your poppys in a row but otherwise I'd
just broadcast the seed where you want it to grow.

Old 21-04-2015, 12:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 19/04/2015 5:11 AM, wrote:
On Saturday, April 18, 2015 at 10:20:23 AM UTC-5, wrote:

[...]
Fran, would this work (paper towel) for poppy (flower) seeds? The instructions are to mix the TINY seeds with sand before planting. I could go down to the beach & get some sand, but am intrigued with the "bits of paper towel. Workable?

I don't think so Higgs. The paper towel works with the tomato seeds
because they dry onto the towel after the fermented goo has been washed
off. It's easier to tear up the towel than to try to peel off the
seeds. I think that poppy seeds added to sand and spread like carrot
seed would work if you wanted your poppys in a row but otherwise I'd
just broadcast the seed where you want it to grow.

Yet another case of my not thinking outside the +&*^$@#%$* box!

Who, in fact, ever SAID the &%@#%^*&$poppies have to be in a row!

Sigh!

Thanks, Fran.

Glad to be of assistance:-)) Sometimes, for some reason, the bleeding
obvious escapes us all. I had such a moment a few days ago.