Old 22-04-2015, 01:54 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Chimayo chile in chimayo?

If you're familiar with Chimayo chile perhaps you can help. I have grown these from seed given me by people in Chimayo, New Mexico. It is very hot and the sauce it makes is almost orange in color. The ground powder looks like the 'Chimayo Heritage' chile sold at the vigil store there.

But you can also buy 'Chimayo chile' that produces a dark red sauce that has the same fruity, tea-like tannin flavor, more complexity but not as much heat. The vigil store has that too, so does the store across the road and Leona's tamale stand by the church. I don't think it's the same cultivar. Does anyone here know what it might be? I read once there was a variety grown that was more consistent the the original Chimayo chile but can no longer find any reference.

Grateful for any help.
Old 22-04-2015, 08:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 04/21/2015 05:54 PM, wrote:
If you're familiar with Chimayo chile perhaps you can help. I have grown these from seed given me by people in Chimayo, New Mexico. It is very hot and the sauce it makes is almost orange in color. The ground powder looks like the 'Chimayo Heritage' chile sold at the vigil store there.

But you can also buy 'Chimayo chile' that produces a dark red sauce that has the same fruity, tea-like tannin flavor, more complexity but not as much heat. The vigil store has that too, so does the store across the road and Leona's tamale stand by the church. I don't think it's the same cultivar. Does anyone here know what it might be? I read once there was a variety grown that was more consistent the the original Chimayo chile but can no longer find any reference.

Grateful for any help.

For those not familiar with Chimayo peppers, they
are the flavor in an enchilada. They are also known
as "New Mexico Red" chilies. They are my favorite
chili. Both heat and flavor. Most peppers are
just heat.

Hi Eastman,

If you would forgive a little conversation that doesn't
actually answer your question, this is my source of
Chimayo (a.k.a. New Mexico Red) Chili powder.

http://www.americanspice.com/chimayo-chile-ground/

It is on the hot side, but cools when exposed to fat,
like heavy whipping cream and butter.

I also buy the dried ones from the local Mexican supermarket.
(No sulphides!) Funny: the Mexicans in the local supermarket
are the sweetest people on the face of the earth, but they
won't call a Chimayo pepper a Chimayo pepper. That is just
a place. Peppers are grown everywhere. Presumably, where they
have roots grows the best peppers! :-)

The heat is mainly in the seeds. And grinding them would
cause a much hotter powder with a lighter completion.
Maybe that is what you noticed?

When I use the dried peppers (I love to smell the bag when
I open it), I break off the tops and dump what seeds will
fall out into the trash.

I use the dried peppers in my Chicken Broth, among other
things. Chimayo is my secret ingredient in my Ratatouille.
Just enough to add a flavor accelerate. I use it in place
of chemical excitotoxins (MSG, Yeast Extract, etc.) as a
flavor accelerate. The powder goes on more things than
I will admit to.

I substitute Chimayo powder for Cayenne powder in my home made
Emeril's Essence Seasoning. Anyone who wants the recipe,
let me know. It is great on chicken, fish, eggs, etc..

My hat is off to you for actually being able to grow these
peppers. I can not grow a pepper for my life (I have a
black thumb).

-T