Old 07-05-2015, 07:57 PM
Registered User

Default Raised bed borders

In my new refurbed front garden ( when it gets that far) I'm looking at putting in some raised borders, not very high just about 4-6" or so can anyone give me any tips, on building the raised border so it doesn't rot my new wooden fence to what plants to grow.
It's fairly shady around there for the most part, it's north facing and the garden currently grows wild roses, ivy, holly, various undetermined spiked shrubs and brambles lol
I'm after planting Rosemary and lavender among options but they're the only plants I know, I'd like a low maintenance garden
Old 07-05-2015, 11:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 5/7/2015 11:57 AM, Sixtie7 wrote:
In my new refurbed front garden ( when it gets that far) I'm looking at
putting in some raised borders, not very high just about 4-6" or so can
anyone give me any tips, on building the raised border so it doesn't rot
my new wooden fence to what plants to grow.
It's fairly shady around there for the most part, it's north facing and
the garden currently grows wild roses, ivy, holly, various undetermined
spiked shrubs and brambles lol
I'm after planting Rosemary and lavender among options but they're the
only plants I know, I'd like a low maintenance garden

Frame the raised area with concrete blocks, sometimes called cinder
blocks.

First dig down a depth equal to the height of the blocks, piling the
soil in the center of the area or else on a tarp (sheet of canvas,
vinyl, etc) outside the area.

Make sure the edges just beyond the dug area are level. Place the
blocks with the holes pointing up around the dug area to frame it. Stir
enough compost, coarse sand, peat moss, and even sawdust or wood chips
(e.g., from having trees trimmed) into the dug soil to fill the raised
area to the top of the blocks. Remember that some settling will occur,
so you really need a generous amount of those amendments. For every
square foot of surface in the raised bed, also stir in a handful of bone
meal.

Plant your raised bed.

Pack a good potting mix into the holes in the concrete blocks. Plant
wax leaf begonias in the holes. See "West Shrub and Flower Bed" near
the bottom of my http://www.rossde.com/garden/garden_back.html and the
photo at
https://www.flickr.com/photos/35332737@N00/4037487793/in/photostream/.

Rosemary and lavender are both in the salvia family. Except for mints,
members of that family are generally drought-tolerant and prefer a soil
that is not overly moist with scant nutrients. They also prefer at
least part sun.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see

[IMG] code is On

Plastic raised bed borders Persephone Gardening 16 30-10-2007 03:40 PM
Flagging Borders Joanne United Kingdom 6 30-06-2004 04:23 PM
Best for beds and borders martin United Kingdom 0 15-12-2003 04:39 PM
seasonal borders/10ft thistle! Niall Smyth United Kingdom 3 20-09-2003 09:03 PM
Edging for curved borders? will United Kingdom 2 19-03-2003 09:32 PM