Old 26-05-2015, 05:00 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default The wisdom of introducing earthworms to a yard

I've started looking after my own lawn and garden since retiring a couple
years ago. The location is the southern Sacramento Valley in the town of
Davis, CA.

One thing that struck me is the relative scarcity of earthworms in both
the garden and lawn areas. Part of the issue is apt to be former management
practice: For probably the past twenty or more years the yard was cared for
by a commercial "mow and blow" firm. In digging in both flowerbeds and the
lawn itself earthworms are seen, but rarely; maybe one every second or third
shovelfull of dirt.

At the same time, there seem to be lots of snail, slugs, sowbugs and outdoor
cockroaches. This implies that there's enough moisture and food to support
detritivores in some numbers.

I've switched to mowing the lawn without a grass catcher and raking at least
some of the fall leaves into the flowerbeds to suppress weeds. Two years on,
the earthworm population hasn't changed much. Far as I know nobody has used
pesticide sprays in years, I used a little Sluggo until learning that it's
bad for earthworms last year.

The present drought has persuaded me to replace all the sprinklers with drip
irrigation. It's certainly more efficient than sprinklers and cheaper than
relandscaping.

Drip irrigating the lawn has required about 1800 feet of Netafim Techline CV
dripline. For now it's just stapled to the surface as I shift it around to
match the water supply to the sun load. It's possible to mow over it, very
carefully, with a reel mower.

Once the position is set, it'll be time to hide it. Trenching it in is one
option, but that's a lot of work. According to Darwin's book on earthworms,
they'll raise the soil level an inch in about five years under ideal
conditions. I have the time, but it does not look like I have the earthworms 8-)

One approach is to simply wait and see if the population increases, but the
fact it hasn't changed much in two years bodes ill for that notion. Some sort
of nightcrawler seems like the best bet, but what kind and what stocking
density are absolutely unclear to me. Alternatively, maybe something else is
wrong and adding new species won't help at all.

Thanks for reading, any thoughts appreciated!

bob prohaska

Old 26-05-2015, 06:04 AM posted to rec.gardens

User Bp writes:

One thing that struck me is the relative scarcity of earthworms in both
the garden and lawn areas. ...
In digging in both flowerbeds and the
lawn itself earthworms are seen, but rarely; maybe one every second or third
shovelfull of dirt.

You're post goes on about a supposed lack of earthworms on your property
but the way you've done your measurements leaves me unconvinced you
have an actual problem.

You go on to suggest importing worms is a "solution".
I think you are trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist.

Anything wrong with your lawn or garden that suggests you do have
a problem?

I think I have lots and lots of worms, even in the lawn.
If I did some digging, I'd expect to find one every second
or third shovel full.

In the compost heap, maybe 1 every shovel full.

I think importing worms is a waste of time.
They'll be there if the conditions are good.

--
Dan Espen
Old 26-05-2015, 09:28 AM posted to rec.gardens

Dan Espen wrote:
User Bp writes:

[...]

The main thing that determines if you have earthworms are the conditions,
organic matter and some moisture in the soil, not whether you have imported
any.

--
David

Corporate propaganda is their
protection against democracy

Old 26-05-2015, 01:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

User Bp wrote:

I've started looking after my own lawn and garden since retiring a couple
years ago. The location is the southern Sacramento Valley in the town of
Davis, CA.

One thing that struck me is the relative scarcity of earthworms in both
the garden and lawn areas. Part of the issue is apt to be former management
practice: For probably the past twenty or more years the yard was cared for
by a commercial "mow and blow" firm. In digging in both flowerbeds and the
lawn itself earthworms are seen, but rarely; maybe one every second or third
shovelfull of dirt.

in an arid climate it would not be common to
see much worm life at the surface.

what type of soil do you have and how large is the area?

At the same time, there seem to be lots of snail, slugs, sowbugs and outdoor
cockroaches. This implies that there's enough moisture and food to support
detritivores in some numbers.

sowbugs can do ok in fairly dry spells when worms
would go deeper and be more dormant. snails and slugs
may do ok on dewfall.

I've switched to mowing the lawn without a grass catcher and raking at least
some of the fall leaves into the flowerbeds to suppress weeds. Two years on,
the earthworm population hasn't changed much. Far as I know nobody has used
pesticide sprays in years, I used a little Sluggo until learning that it's
bad for earthworms last year.

putting the clippings back on the top will help,
but if there isn't quite enough moisture and the
worms are scarce it can take a while for a new
population to reestablish itself.

The present drought has persuaded me to replace all the sprinklers with drip
irrigation. It's certainly more efficient than sprinklers and cheaper than
relandscaping.

Drip irrigating the lawn has required about 1800 feet of Netafim Techline CV
dripline. For now it's just stapled to the surface as I shift it around to
match the water supply to the sun load. It's possible to mow over it, very
carefully, with a reel mower.

Once the position is set, it'll be time to hide it. Trenching it in is one
option, but that's a lot of work. According to Darwin's book on earthworms,
they'll raise the soil level an inch in about five years under ideal
conditions. I have the time, but it does not look like I have the earthworms 8-)

Darwin wasn't in an arid climate...

One approach is to simply wait and see if the population increases, but the
fact it hasn't changed much in two years bodes ill for that notion. Some sort
of nightcrawler seems like the best bet, but what kind and what stocking
density are absolutely unclear to me. Alternatively, maybe something else is
wrong and adding new species won't help at all.

i'm quite sure that night crawlers will not be the right worm
to put in even if there was enough moisture to support them (they
grow into their burrows through time and don't fare well when
moved or raised in captivity -- they also like a bit of clay in
the soil).

i suspect your biggest challenge is the lack of enough moisture.
the amount of money spent on irrigation setup and water over the
lifetime would likely cover the cost of doing something else
instead. putting in drought hardy plants that can withstand a
prolonged drought makes much more sense in such an arid climate.

Thanks for reading, any thoughts appreciated!

irrigating a lawn in an arid climate so that it needs to be
mowed more often is pretty foolish IMO. any worm life you
have during the wetter spells would be nice, but more likely
you'd just be feeding the birds an expensive meal if you put
worms on a lawn.

compost your veggie scraps and any spare organic materials
using a mix of native worm species and then amend your gardens
with the worm castings. mixed with the worm castings will be
cocoons and tiny worms. some of those will survive and
increase the populations, but i still think it would be an
error to expect high worm populations in an arid climate.

songbird
Old 26-05-2015, 04:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
User Bp writes:

One approach is to simply wait and see if the population increases, but the
fact it hasn't changed much in two years bodes ill for that notion. Some sort

What I have often read, and my experience matches it, is that adding
worms is about as helpful as taking your cash and digging it into
the soil.

Unless earthworms are completely absent (not your case), the
population tends to vary with the soil condition and available food.
If your soil is not inviting to the new worms, they will migrate
or die.

I'll repeat the Ruth Stout rallying call -- you need more mulch.
If the worm food is not staying moist (as often happens with thin
mulch layers), the worms won't eat much, and they won't increase.

--
Drew Lawson While they all shake hands
and draw their lines in the sand

Old 26-05-2015, 05:58 PM posted to rec.gardens

http://ecosystems.serc.si.edu/earthworm-invaders/
Old 27-05-2015, 05:53 AM posted to rec.gardens

Tim R wrote:
http://ecosystems.serc.si.edu/earthworm-invaders/

That's an interesting link. I'm not in an old-forest area, so environmental disruption isn't an issue.

But, as others point out, there are a few worms around. If there aren't more, it's not because something
is wrong with the worms. The environment is wrong, most likely moisture. Drip irrigation will help a little,
but it's impractical to raise the soil moisture significantly.

Looks like the best course is to wait and watch, and dry to devise a tool to efficiently bury dripline.

Thanks to all for your thoughts,

bob prohaska

Old 27-05-2015, 02:04 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Tuesday, May 26, 2015 at 11:53:45 PM UTC-4, User Bp wrote:
Tim R wrote:
http://ecosystems.serc.si.edu/earthworm-invaders/

That's an interesting link. I'm not in an old-forest area, so environmental disruption isn't an issue.

I first came across the worm introduction idea in this book:
http://www.amazon.com/1493-Uncoverin.../dp/B004G606EY

which I HIGHLY recommend. I had no idea of the amount of ecological change caused by the European "invasion."