Old 28-05-2015, 03:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default birds on deck, and squirrel

Hello,

Anyone have ideas on how to keep birds off a deck? I had the deck recently stained and repaired and almost every day there are 2-3 bird poop on the top railings. Mourning doves seem to be the worst about doing this... And the other day, I noticed one of the top top posts was gnawed a bit. Which the squirrel has done in the past. Anyone else have these problems, and what do you do? I wash off the bird poop since that can't be good for the wood, and is unsightly.

Old 28-05-2015, 04:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

Gus Overton wrote:

Hello,

Anyone have ideas on how to keep birds off a deck?

Pussy!

I had the deck recently stained and repaired and almost
every day there are 2-3 bird poop on the top railings.
Mourning doves seem to be the worst about doing this...
And the other day, I noticed one of the top posts
was gnawed a bit. Which the squirrel has done in the
past. Anyone else have these problems, and what do
you do? I wash off the bird poop since that can't be
good for the wood, and is unsightly.

No birds, no sqirrels... guaranteed!
http://i59.tinypic.com/2q3tzr5.jpg
http://i62.tinypic.com/1zpislz.jpg
http://i62.tinypic.com/htih5c.jpg
No moles, no voles, not even a mouse:
http://i58.tinypic.com/29vbclw.jpg
No more birds in my barn pooping on my tractor:
http://i62.tinypic.com/e8s7l5.jpg
http://i57.tinypic.com/30dbdl4.jpg

Old 28-05-2015, 06:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

Gus Overton writes:

Hello,

Anyone have ideas on how to keep birds off a deck? I had the deck
recently stained and repaired and almost every day there are 2-3 bird
poop on the top railings. Mourning doves seem to be the worst about
doing this... And the other day, I noticed one of the top top posts
was gnawed a bit. Which the squirrel has done in the past. Anyone
else have these problems, and what do you do? I wash off the bird
poop since that can't be good for the wood, and is unsightly.

Yep, the birds, especially the doves, love my railings.
In my case, they are sitting on rather narrow pool fencing,
they like to face inward, and the poop misses anything
I care about.

In the winter I usually see large "dove meetings" in
the early AM as the sun comes up and I really enjoy them.

I agree with Brooklyn, cats would work.

In your case, something obstructing the railing or a slightly
higher piece of rail beyond the existing railing might work.
Don't know if you can do that attractively.

--
Dan Espen
Old 28-05-2015, 07:04 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 5/28/2015 9:12 AM, Dan Espen wrote:
Gus Overton writes:

[...]

Try birdlime. While the purpose is to trap birds, a dead trapped bird
might discourage others from landing. The stickiness should also
discourage squirrels.

Since birdlime is illegal in some jurisdictions, birds might be
discouraged by hanging unwanted compact discs and DVD discs on kite
twine. Just drill a small hole -- about the diameter of a pencil lead
-- very near the edge and hang with about a foot of twine. These will
need to be moved about once a month so that birds do not become
accustomed to the flashing sunlight. I use this method to keep birds
away from my fruit trees and grape vines. For squirrels, I use a cage
trap baited with peanut butter, chopped pecans, and raisins.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
Old 28-05-2015, 10:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 28 May 2015 06:32:15 -0700 (PDT), Gus Overton
wrote:

Hello,

Anyone have ideas on how to keep birds off a deck?
I had the deck recently stained and repaired and almost
every day there are 2-3 bird poop on the top railings.
Mourning doves seem to be the worst about doing this...
And the other day, I noticed one of the top top posts was gnawed a bit.
Which the squirrel has done in the past.
Anyone else have these problems, and what do you do?
I wash off the bird poop since that can't be good for the wood, and is unsightly.

Scary owl ; rubber snake ; ...
move them around regularly .. ?
http://www.leevalley.com/en/Garden/p...t=2,51555&ap=1
http://www.leevalley.com/en/Garden/p...t=2,51555&ap=1
http://www.leevalley.com/en/Garden/p...t=2,51555&ap=3
Good Luck ; John T.

Old 28-05-2015, 10:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

Gus Overton wrote:
Hello,

Anyone have ideas on how to keep birds off a deck? I had the deck recently stained and repaired and almost every day there are 2-3 bird poop on the top railings. Mourning doves seem to be the worst about doing this... And the other day, I noticed one of the top top posts was gnawed a bit. Which the squirrel has done in the past. Anyone else have these problems, and what do you do? I wash off the bird poop since that can't be good for the wood, and is unsightly.

monofilament line about one inch above the rail.

songbird
Old 28-05-2015, 11:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Hello,

Anyone have ideas on how to keep birds off a deck?
I had the deck recently stained and repaired and almost
every day there are 2-3 bird poop on the top railings.
Mourning doves seem to be the worst about doing this...
And the other day, I noticed one of the top top posts was gnawed a bit.
Which the squirrel has done in the past.
Anyone else have these problems, and what do you do?
I wash off the bird poop since that can't be good for the wood, and is unsightly.

Scary owl ; rubber snake ; ...
move them around regularly .. ?
http://www.leevalley.com/en/Garden/p...t=2,51555&ap=1
http://www.leevalley.com/en/Garden/p...t=2,51555&ap=1
http://www.leevalley.com/en/Garden/p...t=2,51555&ap=3
Good Luck ; John T.

Don't waste your money... those are very nice looking/decorative
decoys but they won't fool any bird... I have several owl decoys on my
vegetable garden fence, even a couple with solar powered glowing eyes,
they do nothing other than to pretty up the place. I have several
whirl-a-gigs too, and other fluttering/shiny thingies. None of those
inanimate objects fool living critters. The only things I know deters
birds is netting and pussy, and pussy works 100% of the time, netting
works 50% of the time if you're lucky. Feral cats are the best
hunting machines, hunting is in their DNA... a gnat can't land on my
deck lest it's a goner... feral cats swat flies out of boredom.
Old 29-05-2015, 03:02 PM posted to rec.gardens

songbird writes:

Gus Overton wrote:
Hello,

Anyone have ideas on how to keep birds off a deck? I had the deck
recently stained and repaired and almost every day there are 2-3
bird poop on the top railings. Mourning doves seem to be the worst
about doing this... And the other day, I noticed one of the top top
posts was gnawed a bit. Which the squirrel has done in the past.
Anyone else have these problems, and what do you do? I wash off the
bird poop since that can't be good for the wood, and is unsightly.

monofilament line about one inch above the rail.

Now, that sounds like it would work.

The bird lime? Too cruel for me.

--
Dan Espen
Old 29-05-2015, 10:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Fri, 29 May 2015 09:02:21 -0400, Dan Espen
wrote:

songbird writes:

Gus Overton wrote:
Hello,

Anyone have ideas on how to keep birds off a deck? I had the deck
recently stained and repaired and almost every day there are 2-3
bird poop on the top railings. Mourning doves seem to be the worst
about doing this... And the other day, I noticed one of the top top
posts was gnawed a bit. Which the squirrel has done in the past.
Anyone else have these problems, and what do you do? I wash off the
bird poop since that can't be good for the wood, and is unsightly.

monofilament line about one inch above the rail.

Now, that sounds like it would work.

Birds aren't nearly so stupid as you... do your really think birds
that can build intricate nests from itty bitty bits and collect bits
of fine fluff to line them won't notice the monofiliment, they'll
probably snip off bits with their beaks to use as thread for sewing
their nests... ain't you ever seen an oriole's digs?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqojrYXcutE
Too bad those disgusting freaks in Baltimore can't be made to do
something half as constructive... I'd definitely put those ruinous
lazy useless *******s to work on a chain gang... no work/no eats...
Yeah, I'd hand them food stamps, they can use them to wipe their
filthy no account butts. None of those young ho's need food stamps,
wanna eat, git on a military chow line... learn them the same way moma
oriole learns her young'uns... WORK for it!
Old 30-05-2015, 02:20 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

songbird writes:

Gus Overton wrote:
Hello,

Anyone have ideas on how to keep birds off a deck? I had the deck
recently stained and repaired and almost every day there are 2-3
bird poop on the top railings. Mourning doves seem to be the worst
about doing this... And the other day, I noticed one of the top top
posts was gnawed a bit. Which the squirrel has done in the past.
Anyone else have these problems, and what do you do? I wash off the
bird poop since that can't be good for the wood, and is unsightly.

monofilament line about one inch above the rail.

Now, that sounds like it would work.

Birds aren't nearly so stupid as you... do your really think birds

Stupid as me?

Brooklyn, you shouldn't be worrying about stupid.
You're just plain nasty.

I would take over stupid over nasty any day.

that can build intricate nests from itty bitty bits and collect bits
of fine fluff to line them won't notice the monofiliment, they'll
probably snip off bits with their beaks to use as thread for sewing
their nests... ain't you ever seen an oriole's digs?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqojrYXcutE

The purpose of the mono-filament would be to get in the way of
the perfect perch that a railing provides. The birds can't
perch on it or the railing.

Too bad those disgusting freaks in Baltimore

You really are a disgusting piece of crap.

--
Dan Espen

Old 30-05-2015, 04:12 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 5/29/2015 6:02 AM, Dan Espen wrote:
songbird writes:

Gus Overton wrote:
Hello,

Anyone have ideas on how to keep birds off a deck? I had the deck
recently stained and repaired and almost every day there are 2-3
bird poop on the top railings. Mourning doves seem to be the worst
about doing this... And the other day, I noticed one of the top top
posts was gnawed a bit. Which the squirrel has done in the past.
Anyone else have these problems, and what do you do? I wash off the
bird poop since that can't be good for the wood, and is unsightly.

monofilament line about one inch above the rail.

Now, that sounds like it would work.

The bird lime? Too cruel for me.

I was being somewhat facetious when I mention bird lime. It is
generally illegal.

Old 30-05-2015, 07:30 AM posted to rec.gardens

songbird writes:

Gus Overton wrote:
Hello,

Anyone have ideas on how to keep birds off a deck? I had the deck
recently stained and repaired and almost every day there are 2-3
bird poop on the top railings. Mourning doves seem to be the worst
about doing this... And the other day, I noticed one of the top top
posts was gnawed a bit. Which the squirrel has done in the past.
Anyone else have these problems, and what do you do? I wash off the
bird poop since that can't be good for the wood, and is unsightly.

monofilament line about one inch above the rail.

Now, that sounds like it would work.

The bird lime? Too cruel for me.

I was being somewhat facetious when I mention bird lime. It is
generally illegal.

Hope so.

Never heard of it before, so there is that.

--
Dan Espen
Old 30-05-2015, 01:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

Dan Espen wrote:
The purpose of the mono-filament would be to get in the way of
the perfect perch that a railing provides. The birds can't
perch on it or the railing.

i dunno how well it would work, but it was an idea.
probably would need to be replaced once in a while, but
still cheaper than other options. another thing to do
could be to put dowels out from the railing to give
them a perch where they could poop into the grass away
from the deck. more work and expense than fishing line
but at least then you can still see them.

we have a few species that try to perch above my
patio door, which i discourage by pounding on the
wall to startle them away. sometimes they try to
build a nest up there too. i have chunks of wood to
put up there when that happens and they go away.
dunno why the builder didn't fill in that space to
begin with. a flat sill like that is just asking
for bird nesting.

i don't want to discourage the birds completely as
some of them come around and check the eves for hornets/
wasps or spiders and they are fun to watch as they perch
on the roof and look around.

songbird
Old 30-05-2015, 05:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

songbird writes:

Gus Overton wrote:
Hello,

Anyone have ideas on how to keep birds off a deck? I had the deck
recently stained and repaired and almost every day there are 2-3
bird poop on the top railings. Mourning doves seem to be the worst
about doing this... And the other day, I noticed one of the top top
posts was gnawed a bit. Which the squirrel has done in the past.
Anyone else have these problems, and what do you do? I wash off the
bird poop since that can't be good for the wood, and is unsightly.

monofilament line about one inch above the rail.

Now, that sounds like it would work.

The bird lime? Too cruel for me.

I was being somewhat facetious when I mention bird lime. It is
generally illegal.

Hope so.

Never heard of it before, so there is that.

A plain piece of monofiliment is not birdlime.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/birdlime
Old 30-05-2015, 05:49 PM posted to rec.gardens

Gus Overton wrote:

Anyone have ideas on how to keep birds off a deck? I had the deck
recently stained and repaired and almost every day there are 2-3
bird poop on the top railings. Mourning doves seem to be the worst
about doing this... And the other day, I noticed one of the top top
posts was gnawed a bit. Which the squirrel has done in the past.
Anyone else have these problems, and what do you do? I wash off the
bird poop since that can't be good for the wood, and is unsightly.

Bird poop won't harm a wood deck, and easily washes away, rain/hose...
unsightly, don't look.