Old 14-06-2015, 08:50 PM
Registered User

Arrow Tree advice

I'm looking for a bit of advice about this tree.

Firstly does anyone know what it is? It looks a bit like a willow, but I'm quite sure it's not.

Secondly, would you recommend that I take it down given it's position?

It's surrounded by paving blocks and the roots have started to push them up. It's grown quite fast and although I like the look of it I think it might be too large considering its position and surroundings. If I don't take it down I'll get the pavers around it removed.
Attached Thumbnails
Tree advice-img_5725.jpg   Tree advice-img_5726.jpg   Tree advice-img_5727.jpg
Old 14-06-2015, 10:11 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Tree advice

On 6/14/2015 3:50 PM, DaveJ86 wrote:
I'm looking for a bit of advice about this tree.

Firstly does anyone know what it is? It looks a bit like a willow, but
I'm quite sure it's not.

Secondly, would you recommend that I take it down given it's position?

It's surrounded by paving blocks and the roots have started to push them
up. It's grown quite fast and although I like the look of it I think it
might be too large considering its position and surroundings. If I don't
take it down I'll get the pavers around it removed.

|Filename: IMG_5725.JPG |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=16275|
|Filename: IMG_5726.JPG |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=16276|
|Filename: IMG_5727.JPG |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=16277|

I don't know what it is and without good closeups of leaves, stems, and
bark I wouldn't hazard a guess. Given its location and size though I'd
certainly get rid of it and do a general cleanup of the area. Actually, I'm
surprised that the neighbours haven't been complaining to the local council
given the nearness of the fence and the apparent overhang into their rear
garden.
Old 15-06-2015, 03:38 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 15/06/2015 5:50 AM, DaveJ86 wrote:
I'm looking for a bit of advice about this tree.

Firstly does anyone know what it is? It looks a bit like a willow, but
I'm quite sure it's not.

It is a willow, specifically a "Tortured Willow" aka Salix Matsudana.

Secondly, would you recommend that I take it down given it's position?

It's surrounded by paving blocks and the roots have started to push them
up. It's grown quite fast and although I like the look of it I think it
might be too large considering its position and surroundings. If I don't
take it down I'll get the pavers around it removed.

You could cut that tree back to its ankles and do that every year for
decades and it'll resprout and give you an attractive bush. You could
cut it back to your shoulder height and the same resprouting would
happen but it'd look less attractive IMO (think pollarded Plane trees
and how tortured those poor things look). Personally, I'd go for the
cut back to the ankles each year.

Old 15-06-2015, 08:32 AM
Registered User

Location: Bristol

I would definitely get rid of it due to its location, a shame, but really you cannot compromise the build of your home for a tree, it is already showing signs of doing damage

Classic Ironworks | Design and Build
Old 24-06-2015, 01:44 AM posted to rec.gardens

replying to DaveJ86 , Sid in Sacramento wrote:
davej2k wrote:

I'm looking for a bit of advice about this tree.

Take a branch down to your local plant nursery to identify it and find out
the growing specifics, and the type of soil amendments to help it stay
healthy. I would remove the pavers, and use a border of plastic edging,
with plastic spikes, on the inside, with screws, to keep it in a circular
shape, then place red wood chips on the inside to keep weeds from growing
around the tree