Old 02-08-2015, 12:45 AM
LLFOG's Avatar
Registered User

Location: London
Default Life lessons from your garden?

Hello there,

I'm a somewhat novice gardener living in the 'burbs of London, seriously at it for only a couple of years now, but becoming ever-more involved and passionate about plants and gardens.

I'm also really interested in having life-enhancing/interesting conversations (day job allows me to have many of these), and enjoy the process of recording and making these available for others to listen to.

The last project in which this happened was called Read Me Something You Love, which as the title has it, I would pop over to someone's home, they'd read me something they love, we'd chat about the poem/story, and then I'd release the results as a lovingly edited podcast. More of that he Read Me Something You Love.

I'm now planning a new project around gardens, which I'd really love if you might become involved in some way. My idea is that of an audio-visual version of the Guardian's How Does Your Garden Grow, but with an emphasis on Life Lessons you've learnt from your garden and gardening in general.

What I would do, if you'd like to be involved in the project, is come and visit your garden/allotment/balcony and take lots of photographs of it, as well as interview you as an audio recording about the garden, and what part the garden plays in your life.

You don’t necessarily have to have any solemn and momentous “Life Lessons” to impart from the offset, so please don't feel weighted down by the title.Something interesting always comes up in the process of chatting about our gardens, I find. Here's an example of some life lessons that came out of a chat I had with Elayne and Jim recently about their garden:

LLFOG #4: Dealing with frustrations

I’ll be doing most of these recordings in and near London, but also happy to travel further afield too. Any season is fine for this, as I'll be doing the project throughout the next year or two.

My email for any queries, suggestions, or invites to visit your garden and have a chat is stevewasserman AT gmail.com.

I really hope this is something that might capture your imagination and you'd be happy to participate. The taping + interview shouldn't take longer than an hour and would occur at a time that suits you best.

Warm wishes
Old 02-08-2015, 06:24 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 8/1/2015 6:45 PM, LLFOG wrote:
Hello there,

I'm a somewhat novice gardener living in the 'burbs of London, seriously
at it for only a couple of years now, but becoming ever-more involved
and passionate about plants and gardens.

snip...

My garden life lesson: the odds are good that anytime I put something into
the soil it will be 'burial', not 'planting'.