Old 06-08-2015, 09:15 PM
Registered User

Location: Coventry UK
Question Dahlia query UK

hello my fellow gardening geeks, I've really gotten into gardening this year as my other half made me some large planters out of our old Decking, So I toddled off and bought loads of plants to fill one of them and in the other I am growing cucumbers for the first time to. With Dwarf Dahlia to the front. The cucumbers are doing great. No greenhouse grown from seeds in propagator then planted in when about 10 inches tall. Have fruits on them now between 4-6 inches long.
Anyways. My question is. How do I know when the Dahlias are finished for the season, and how do I go about storing them for next years planting out?
Thank you.

Ps. I just want to say, the pic is for the dwarf Dahlias not the wilted cucs, lol. I did query why they were withering but found out that I needed to basically drown them with water. And I can't find the better pic
Attached Thumbnails
Dahlia query UK-image.jpg
Old 10-08-2015, 02:31 PM
Registered User

Location: Coventry UK

[quote=Michelle41;1015579]hello my fellow gardening geeks, I've really gotten into gardening this year as my other half made me some large planters out of our old Decking, So I toddled off and bought loads of plants to fill one of them.

Anyways. My question is. How do I know when the Dahlias are finished for the season, and how do I go about storing them for next years planting out?
Thank you.

Ok so nobody knows what to do with Dahlias when winter comes on this gardening forum?
Old 10-08-2015, 05:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Dahlia query UK

On 8/10/2015 9:31 AM, Michelle41 wrote:
Michelle41;1015579 Wrote:
hello my fellow gardening geeks, I've really gotten into gardening this
year as my other half made me some large planters out of our old
Decking, So I toddled off and bought loads of plants to fill one of
them.

Anyways. My question is. How do I know when the Dahlias are finished for
the season, and how do I go about storing them for next years planting
out?
Thank you.

Ok so nobody knows what to do with Dahlias when winter comes on this
gardening forum?

I did not venture an answer because you seemed specifically to want some
special UK information and I've never grown them there. I can say that in
the rest of the world's temperate regions, one usually waits until the
first killing frost but before the soil freezes to dig and store tubers in
a cool darkish location with good air circulation (I always hung mine in
mesh onion bags in the cellar).
Old 10-08-2015, 06:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

Michelle41;1015579 Wrote:
[...]

My wife saves the tubers as John suggested, but in my part of the world it's really not necessary. Dwarf dahlias will bloom from seed if started inside a bit early.
Old 11-08-2015, 04:30 PM
Registered User

Location: Coventry UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Peek[_2_] View Post
Michelle41;1015579 Wrote:
[...]

Thank you John and Steve 😊

Old 12-08-2015, 06:36 AM posted to rec.gardens

Michelle41;1015579 Wrote:
[...]

A partial Ditto from me. I don't live in the UK or grow dahlias there
either but I too wait for them to be hit by frost before I either dig
them up and store over winter in sawdust inside a polystyrene box under
cover, or, the more usual thing I do is to just leave them in the ground
and divide them the next spring, or more usually, just let them grow up
the next spring undivided. Mind you, I live in a much drier climate
than the UK and so don't have to worry about rot over winter. I do get
very savage frosts through winter (down as far as -9 degrees C
sometimes) and that doesn't seem to worry the dahlias left in the ground.

BTW Michelle, you may be posting through gardenbanter but this group is
an international group not just a UK one and most of us post directly to
usenet groups and we don't use gardenbanter.

[IMG] code is On

Dahlia query [email protected] United Kingdom 2 01-01-2004 10:32 AM
Where to buy dahlia tubers online? Fleemo Gardening 9 10-02-2003 09:25 PM
David's Dahlia Starlord Gardening 0 10-02-2003 03:55 PM
(AD) Dahlia World Starlord Gardening 1 08-02-2003 01:49 PM
Dahlia World Starlord Gardening 0 06-02-2003 09:23 PM