Old 17-08-2015, 03:34 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default When to pick Galeux d'Eysines squash?

I planted a couple Galeux d'Eysines squash seeds this year on a lark. It was on May 15th, the last frost date in Denver. Now I have four fruits that look like they're 10-15 pounds each. One of them has a lot of warts and the rest are developing them. How do I know when to pick these? How well do they keep, and do they need to be aged. Never thought I'd actually get anything so I haven't planned for this.

Thanks,
red
Old 17-08-2015, 04:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Monday, August 17, 2015 at 10:34:40 AM UTC-4, wrote:
I planted a couple Galeux d'Eysines squash seeds this year on a lark. It was on May 15th, the last frost date in Denver. Now I have four fruits that look like they're 10-15 pounds each. One of them has a lot of warts and the rest are developing them. How do I know when to pick these? How well do they keep, and do they need to be aged. Never thought I'd actually get anything so I haven't planned for this.

Thanks,
red

Leave them on the vine until it begins dieing. Wash the squash with a mild bleach solution and store in a cool cellar. They should keep most of the winter.
Old 08-09-2016, 11:09 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Monday, August 17, 2015 at 7:34:40 AM UTC-7, wrote:
I planted a couple Galeux d'Eysines squash seeds this year on a lark. It was on May 15th, the last frost date in Denver. Now I have four fruits that look like they're 10-15 pounds each. One of them has a lot of warts and the rest are developing them. How do I know when to pick these? How well do they keep, and do they need to be aged. Never thought I'd actually get anything so I haven't planned for this.

Thanks,
red

The info I've read says 90 days. Although the more sugar developed by the pumpkin, the more warts. I'm in the same situation, and I'm waiting a bit.
Old 09-09-2016, 10:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

songbird wrote:
austingamemaster5 wrote:
The info I've read says 90 days. Although the more sugar
developed by the pumpkin, the more warts. I'm in the same
situation, and I'm waiting a bit.

no idea of that particular winter squash, but i think
the general rule of thumb is to pick them when the stem
going to the squash starts to dry out.

I grew these this summer, very prolific and excellent eating.
http://www.bhg.com/recipes/how-to/co...squash/#page=0
http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edib...nformation.htm
I will grow them again.
Barny the crop guard cat: