Old 30-08-2015, 02:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Anybody know of a decent corded trimmer

Looking for a decent corded trimmer that feeds reliably and will last.
I'm tired of throwing away cheap plastic crap or struggling with balky
feed mechanisms that never work for more than a few minutes at a time.
My first trimmer, a B&D bought some time in the early '80s, worked great
until somebody stole it, but every replacement I've tried has been a
piece of junk. It seems like the corded trimmers these days are treated
as the low end of the product line.

Are there any decent ones or do I need to say screw it and go with gas?
Old 30-08-2015, 03:23 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 30 Aug 2015 08:37:24 -0400
"J. Clarke" wrote:

Looking for a decent corded trimmer that feeds reliably and will last.
I'm tired of throwing away cheap plastic crap or struggling with balky
feed mechanisms that never work for more than a few minutes at a time.
My first trimmer, a B&D bought some time in the early '80s, worked great
until somebody stole it, but every replacement I've tried has been a
piece of junk. It seems like the corded trimmers these days are treated
as the low end of the product line.

For stuff like that I patiently troll Craigslist for a used version
like I had/want. Use a search term like "decker elec* string" without
the quotes. Search several times a week until the model you want turns
up.

Are there any decent ones or do I need to say screw it and go with gas?

I don't think you will find a suitable gas version that isn't pretty
expensive. They have screwed/cheapened the consumer grade gas versions
too. You would have to get a commercial grade machine like you see the
lawn service guys using. Be sitting down when you price them...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Old 30-08-2015, 05:23 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article , says...

"J. Clarke" wrote:

[...]

At this point expense doesn't bother me. If I could get a decent corded
trimmer for 2-3 hundred bucks I'd go for it in an instant. But all I'm
finding are gas and battery.
Old 30-08-2015, 06:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

J. Clarke wrote:
At this point expense doesn't bother me. If I could get a decent corded
trimmer for 2-3 hundred bucks I'd go for it in an instant. But all I'm
finding are gas and battery.

hmm...

our string trimmer sits in the shed now most of
the time as what i need to do is a little more than
what a string trimmer can manage. instead i use
a decent set of hedge trimmers. this isn't easy
on the back, but i'd rather use the hedge trimmers
any time in comparison to the mess that the string
trimmer made. ran me about $40 for the B&D hedge
trimmer with a titanium blade. these are run by
cord.

they've probably got shears for edging that work
too, but i haven't looked at those lately.

songbird
Old 30-08-2015, 09:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

J. Clarke wrote:

At this point expense doesn't bother me. If I could get a decent corded
trimmer for 2-3 hundred bucks I'd go for it in an instant. But all I'm
finding are gas and battery.

I think electric trimmers are pretty useless powerwise, batty types
are heavy and with corded you're on a leash... I've been using an Echo
string trimmer for 12 years and it gets a good work out on 16 acres
with never even one trip to the repair shop, its 2 cycle engine is
plenty powerful, yet miserly with fuel, very easy to start, light
weight to carry the distances here, and the price is right... Echo
makes great products... I have the GT-225i:
http://www.echo-usa.com/Products/Trimmers

Old 16-09-2015, 07:23 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:
J. Clarke wrote:
At this point expense doesn't bother me. If I could get a decent corded
trimmer for 2-3 hundred bucks I'd go for it in an instant. But all I'm
finding are gas and battery.

hmm...
our string trimmer sits in the shed now most of
the time as what i need to do is a little more than
what a string trimmer can manage. instead i use
a decent set of hedge trimmers. this isn't easy
on the back, but i'd rather use the hedge trimmers
any time in comparison to the mess that the string
trimmer made. ran me about $40 for the B&D hedge
trimmer with a titanium blade. these are run by
cord.
they've probably got shears for edging that work
too, but i haven't looked at those lately.
songbird

You can do some pretty good work with a hedge trimmer.
Knock out the large areas then go after the detail work
with the trimmer, if you even need to.

Old 17-09-2015, 10:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 8/30/2015 8:37 AM, J. Clarke wrote:
Looking for a decent corded trimmer that feeds reliably and will last.
I'm tired of throwing away cheap plastic crap or struggling with balky
feed mechanisms that never work for more than a few minutes at a time.
My first trimmer, a B&D bought some time in the early '80s, worked great
until somebody stole it, but every replacement I've tried has been a
piece of junk. It seems like the corded trimmers these days are treated
as the low end of the product line.

Are there any decent ones or do I need to say screw it and go with gas?

I have no experience with this particular one but I do have confidence in
Stihl's products in general. I've been using my gas-powered Stihl for 15+
years with nothing more than a plug change. Take a look at:

http://www.stihlusa.com/products/tri...rimmers/fse60/

They do have an equivalent that is powered by a lithium battery but since
you seem set on a corded unit...