Old 26-09-2015, 05:55 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Rotting Banana mixed into soil

Just a silly thought turned question. Where I live the soil is empty of
almost everything plants need to grow. I was thinking about nothing as I
went to get a banana from the kitchen.

The banana's are nicely ripe. The thought popped into my head that
instead of throwing over ripe bananas away I could peel them and mix the
mush into soil around plants and bushes? Any thoughts or experience doing
this? tia.
Old 26-09-2015, 02:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sat, 26 Sep 2015 04:55:29 GMT, azigni wrote:

Just a silly thought turned question. Where I live the soil is empty of
almost everything plants need to grow. I was thinking about nothing as I
went to get a banana from the kitchen.

The banana's are nicely ripe. The thought popped into my head that
instead of throwing over ripe bananas away I could peel them and mix the
mush into soil around plants and bushes? Any thoughts or experience doing
this? tia.

Composting is not new.
Old 26-09-2015, 04:10 PM posted to rec.gardens

azigni wrote:
Just a silly thought turned question. Where I live the soil is empty
of almost everything plants need to grow. I was thinking about
nothing as I went to get a banana from the kitchen.

The banana's are nicely ripe. The thought popped into my head that
instead of throwing over ripe bananas away I could peel them and mix
the mush into soil around plants and bushes? Any thoughts or
experience doing this? tia.

Peel them, wrap them in plastic, and freeze them. A perfect summertime treat.

Old 26-09-2015, 04:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

azigni wrote:

Just a silly thought turned question. Where I live the soil is empty of
almost everything plants need to grow. I was thinking about nothing as I
went to get a banana from the kitchen.

The banana's are nicely ripe. The thought popped into my head that
instead of throwing over ripe bananas away I could peel them and mix the
mush into soil around plants and bushes? Any thoughts or experience doing
this? tia.

i worm compost veggie and fruit scraps and
that makes great plant food. all banana peels
go in there and the worms take care of them.
it also takes care of all paper scraps we have
so that works great for adding stuff back to
the gardens.

bananas are edible even if the outer peel is
black, many people use them when they get over-
ripe to make banana bread or muffins. i like
using them as a fish sauce, mix with a little
honey, vinegar, ginger and blend until smooth,
but there are other uses (smoothies).

songbird
Old 26-09-2015, 08:38 PM posted to rec.gardens

azigni wrote:

Just a silly thought turned question. Where I live the soil is empty of
almost everything plants need to grow. I was thinking about nothing as I
went to get a banana from the kitchen.

The banana's are nicely ripe. The thought popped into my head that
instead of throwing over ripe bananas away I could peel them and mix the
mush into soil around plants and bushes? Any thoughts or experience doing
this? tia.

Bananas do not compost well, mostly they rot/ferment and stink... over
ripe bananas are good for baking (banana bread/muffins), over ripe
bananas can be frozen for delicious snacks... also bananas make great
dildos.

Old 26-09-2015, 09:15 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Saturday, September 26, 2015 at 8:28:49 AM UTC-7, songbird wrote:
azigni wrote:

[...]

Wow, that sounds interesting. Just to be su this sauce gets poured OVER
the cooked fish? Or? Could use lemon instead of vinegar?

HB
Old 26-09-2015, 11:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

Hypatia Nachshon wrote:
songbird wrote:

bananas are edible even if the outer peel is
black, many people use them when they get over-
ripe to make banana bread or muffins. i like
using them as a fish sauce, mix with a little
honey, vinegar, ginger and blend until smooth,
but there are other uses (smoothies).

Wow, that sounds interesting. Just to be su this sauce gets poured OVER
the cooked fish? Or? Could use lemon instead of vinegar?

yes, i like sweet and sour together, lemon juice is
good too instead of or even along with the vinegar,
you don't need much of either to get the sour. i
never measure this out, but it is about 1 tsp of
vinegar to tablespoon of honey for each banana.
adjust to your own preferences is the standard
disclaimer.

sometimes i'll slice bananas and put the honey,
lemon, vinegar and some cinamon and stir until
everything is coated and eat them like that.

songbird
Old 27-09-2015, 12:10 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Sat, 26 Sep 2015 15:38:02 -0400, Brooklyn1 wrote:

Bananas do not compost well, mostly they rot/ferment and stink... over
ripe bananas are good for baking (banana bread/muffins), over ripe
bananas can be frozen for delicious snacks... also bananas make great
dildos.

Thanks, I was thinking of the potassium in bananas, but never heard of
anyone mixing them right into the soil. The meal ideas sound great too!

I don't add them to my compost pile as I thought the peels were full of
insecticide, etc?

Old 27-09-2015, 11:19 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Saturday, September 26, 2015 at 3:31:56 PM UTC-7, songbird wrote:
Hypatia Nachshon wrote:
songbird wrote:

[...]

(Wipes drool from screen)...Gotta try that!

HB
Old 30-09-2015, 04:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Saturday, September 26, 2015 at 4:10:31 PM UTC-7, azigni wrote:
On Sat, 26 Sep 2015 15:38:02 -0400, Brooklyn1 wrote:

Bananas do not compost well, mostly they rot/ferment and stink... over
ripe bananas are good for baking (banana bread/muffins), over ripe
bananas can be frozen for delicious snacks... also bananas make great
dildos.

Thanks, I was thinking of the potassium in bananas, but never heard of
anyone mixing them right into the soil. The meal ideas sound great too!

I don't add them to my compost pile as I thought the peels were full of
insecticide, etc?

However it is OK to put them into MUNICIPAL compost. Our city encourages food waste to be deposited in yard waste cans. They responded to my inquiry about meat and fat -- usually a no-no in home compost -- by pointing out that the yard waste cum compost is treated at such a high temperature that it can handle no-nos.

The result, BTW, is rich compost that is free to residents on a quarterly basis. People line up in their cars & trucks and load all kind of containers with this fab compost.

I am unabashedly sentimental about this community event!!

Old 30-09-2015, 04:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Wed, 30 Sep 2015 08:27:17 -0700 (PDT), Hypatia Nachshon
wrote:

[...]

Free municipal compost is as bad as it gets for home gardens...
typically rife with chemicals of a carcinogen nature... composed
primarilly of brush cleared from along roadways, saturated with
traffic exhaust and dumpings of oils and assorted chemicals... seeds
and insects is the least of the problems. Never take free municipal
mulch either.
Old 30-09-2015, 06:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

Pesticides? I'd like to se verification of that. Never heard of it.

The result, BTW, is rich compost that is free to residents on a quarterly basis. People line up in their cars & trucks and load all kind of containers with this fab compost.

I am unabashedly sentimental about this community event!!

I have always hesitated to use community composts, as many homeowners
allow their grass clippings to be collected and the insecticide, weed
killers and broad herbicides that they use wind up in there.

We do not eat hat many bananas and the skins to not contain enough
pesticides to prevent me from chucking them in my own compost,
however.

Old 01-10-2015, 03:36 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article
azigni writes:
On Sat, 26 Sep 2015 15:38:02 -0400, Brooklyn1 wrote:

Bananas do not compost well, mostly they rot/ferment and stink... over
ripe bananas are good for baking (banana bread/muffins), over ripe
bananas can be frozen for delicious snacks... also bananas make great
dildos.

Thanks, I was thinking of the potassium in bananas, but never heard of
anyone mixing them right into the soil. The meal ideas sound great too!

Ignore Brooklyn's nonsense. Throw everything into the compost pile
or soil (sometimes called "sheet composting" -- talk to songbird).

I've never personally noticed a composting problem with bananas,
and my wife used to buy a lot of them (and eat 3/4 of those). The
peels, exposed on the surface, seem slow to break down, but inside
the pile, like butter.

--
Drew Lawson | What is an "Oprah"?

Old 01-10-2015, 04:41 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

These comments about "polluted" municipal compost are indeed food for thought and I will ask the City about the issue. But I wonder whether treating yard waste at the high temperatures they say wouldn't be enough to "kill" or neutralize the bad things cited on this thread.
Old 01-10-2015, 12:06 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

You need a certain sustaining of temp to encourage decomposition but
not so hot that you kill off the good microorganisms, but I have never
seen anything that says composting destroys garden chems. I am happy
to read any articles about it, though.

Lots of info here.

http://compost.css.cornell.edu/physics.html

[IMG] code is On

Will rotting potting soil produce CO2? BillT Freshwater Aquaria Plants 2 21-04-2005 12:14 PM
mixed border catie Roses 1 01-08-2003 10:43 PM
Fothergills Mixed Perennials JennyC United Kingdom 1 29-04-2003 05:56 PM
Cheap mixed bulbs online? Pete Williams United Kingdom 0 28-03-2003 05:20 PM
Seedling Selection - Mixed Paul England United Kingdom 0 11-03-2003 10:29 PM