Old 31-10-2015, 12:29 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Compare Prices on Garden Supplies CAREFULLY

Today, I went to buy gypsum to apply to my clay soil before the winter
rains begin. While I never buy plants at a hardware store or lumber
yard, I do buy tools and supplies at such stores.

I went to a nearby hardware store (about 3 miles from my house) and took
a 40-pound sack of gypsum to the register. With a senior-citizen
discount of 5%, the clerk said that it would be $12+change. I left the
sack at the register and drove to a favorite nursery about 12 miles
away. There, I bought a 50-pound sack of gypsum for under $9.

That is correct: 25% more gypsum for 25% less money. Both were 92%
CaSO4 (calcium sulfate).

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
Old 31-10-2015, 02:27 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Fri, 30 Oct 2015 17:29:36 -0700, "David E. Ross"
wrote:

Today, I went to buy gypsum to apply to my clay soil before the winter
rains begin. While I never buy plants at a hardware store or lumber
yard, I do buy tools and supplies at such stores.

I went to a nearby hardware store (about 3 miles from my house) and took
a 40-pound sack of gypsum to the register. With a senior-citizen
discount of 5%, the clerk said that it would be $12+change. I left the
sack at the register and drove to a favorite nursery about 12 miles
away. There, I bought a 50-pound sack of gypsum for under $9.

That is correct: 25% more gypsum for 25% less money. Both were 92%
CaSO4 (calcium sulfate).

How much is a gallon of gas these days in California?
Old 31-10-2015, 05:07 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Today, I went to buy gypsum to apply to my clay soil before the winter
rains begin. While I never buy plants at a hardware store or lumber
yard, I do buy tools and supplies at such stores.

I went to a nearby hardware store (about 3 miles from my house) and took
a 40-pound sack of gypsum to the register. With a senior-citizen
discount of 5%, the clerk said that it would be $12+change. I left the
sack at the register and drove to a favorite nursery about 12 miles
away. There, I bought a 50-pound sack of gypsum for under $9.

That is correct: 25% more gypsum for 25% less money. Both were 92%
CaSO4 (calcium sulfate).

How much is a gallon of gas these days in California?

Along the route I drove, I could get gas at $2.599 per gallon. Since I
used less than a gallon round-trip, my savings on my purchase of gypsum
was greater than the cost of gas. Oh, and I also bought some ranunculus
tubers at the nursery, which I would not have bought at the hardware
store.

Old 31-10-2015, 11:47 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 10/30/2015 8:29 PM, David E. Ross wrote:
Today, I went to buy gypsum to apply to my clay soil before the winter
rains begin. While I never buy plants at a hardware store or lumber
yard, I do buy tools and supplies at such stores.

I went to a nearby hardware store (about 3 miles from my house) and took
a 40-pound sack of gypsum to the register. With a senior-citizen
discount of 5%, the clerk said that it would be $12+change. I left the
sack at the register and drove to a favorite nursery about 12 miles
away. There, I bought a 50-pound sack of gypsum for under $9.

That is correct: 25% more gypsum for 25% less money. Both were 92%
CaSO4 (calcium sulfate).

Same thing happened to me last year with limestone. K-Mart price was
about 4X higher than Lowes.

BTW, since some one asked gas price, it is down below $2/gal here in
Delaware.
Old 01-11-2015, 01:08 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article , "frank says...

[...]

I think it's going to cross that line in Taxachussetts this week--it was
2.00&9/10 Friday. Funny, it's about 20 cents cheaper there than in CT.

Old 01-11-2015, 02:54 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Sat, 31 Oct 2015 21:08:59 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

In article , "frank says...

[...]

CT has no income tax. The monies have to come from somewhere.
Old 01-11-2015, 08:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
says...

On Sat, 31 Oct 2015 21:08:59 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

In article , "frank says...

[...]

What century do you live in? CT has higher income tax than MA, and has
since the reign of Lowell the Last.
Old 01-11-2015, 09:02 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 1 Nov 2015 15:40:47 -0500, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

In article ,
says...

On Sat, 31 Oct 2015 21:08:59 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

In article , "frank says...

[...]

By golly, I stand corrected. Been a long time since I checked, which
was donkey years ago, when I was debating the move from NY to CT vs
NJ.

Old 02-12-2015, 03:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

David E. Ross wrote:
Today, I went to buy gypsum to apply to my clay soil before the winter
rains begin. While I never buy plants at a hardware store or lumber
yard, I do buy tools and supplies at such stores.

I went to a nearby hardware store (about 3 miles from my house) and
took a 40-pound sack of gypsum to the register. With a senior-citizen
discount of 5%, the clerk said that it would be $12+change. I left
the sack at the register and drove to a favorite nursery about 12
miles away. There, I bought a 50-pound sack of gypsum for under $9.

That is correct: 25% more gypsum for 25% less money. Both were 92%
CaSO4 (calcium sulfate).

What effects do you see from applying gypsum? Is it anything obvious? Are repeat
application useful?

Old 02-12-2015, 07:38 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 12/2/2015 7:44 AM, Bob F wrote:
David E. Ross wrote:
Today, I went to buy gypsum to apply to my clay soil before the winter
rains begin. While I never buy plants at a hardware store or lumber
yard, I do buy tools and supplies at such stores.

I went to a nearby hardware store (about 3 miles from my house) and
took a 40-pound sack of gypsum to the register. With a senior-citizen
discount of 5%, the clerk said that it would be $12+change. I left
the sack at the register and drove to a favorite nursery about 12
miles away. There, I bought a 50-pound sack of gypsum for under $9.

That is correct: 25% more gypsum for 25% less money. Both were 92%
CaSO4 (calcium sulfate).

What effects do you see from applying gypsum? Is it anything obvious? Are repeat
application useful?

My soil is very heavy clay. Gypsum supposedly reacts with the clay to
make it porous and thus improve drainage and root growth. I apply a
generous amount annually in the late autumn around my camellias,
azaleas, and liquidambar tree, which seem to thrive. Every two years, I
apply it throughout my garden, using about 250 pounds. Also, when
planting a new plant or bulb, I stir a small amount of gypsum into the
planting hole.

Old 02-12-2015, 10:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

David E. Ross wrote:
On 12/2/2015 7:44 AM, Bob F wrote:
David E. Ross wrote:
[...]

My sister tried one application a year ago on her lawn because of standing
water/sogging ground problems and has really seen little change. I could give
her more (someone else gave me) if it would do any good. Just wondering.

Old 03-12-2015, 12:09 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 12/2/2015 2:36 PM, Bob F wrote:
David E. Ross wrote:
On 12/2/2015 7:44 AM, Bob F wrote:
David E. Ross wrote:
[...]

If the cause of your sister's problem is from a high water table or very
thin soil over bedrock, gypsum will not help.

Old 03-12-2015, 02:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 12/2/2015 4:36 PM, Bob F wrote:
David E. Ross wrote:
On 12/2/2015 7:44 AM, Bob F wrote:
David E. Ross wrote:
[...]

The Myth of Gypsum Magic: Adding gypsum to your yard or garden will
improve soil tilth and plant health
by Linda Chalker-Scott, Ph.D., Extension Horticulturist and Associate
Professor, Puyallup Research and Extension Center, Washington State
University

With the exception of arid and coastal regions (where soil salts are
high) and the southeastern United States (where heavy clay soils are
common), gypsum
amendment is just not necessary in non-agricultural areas. Urban
soils are generally amalgamations of subsoils, native and non-native
topsoils, and – in home landscapes – high levels of organic and
non-organic chemical additives. They are also heavily compacted and
layered (and gypsum does not work well on layered soils). In such
landscapes, it is pointless to add yet more chemicals in the form of
gypsum unless you need to increase soil calcium levels. To reduce
compaction and improve aeration in nearly any landscape, application
of an organic mulch is more economically and environmentally sustainable.
http://puyallup.wsu.edu/wp-content/u.../03/gypsum.pdf

What About Gypsum?
By Carl Wilson, Horticulturist with Denver Cooperative Extension
As far as relieving soil compaction, gypsum has no effect. Loosening
soils is a physical process, not a chemical one. The way to break up
tight, clay soils is through adding and mixing in organic amendments.
The amendment holds the clay particles apart creating more space for
the air so critical to plant root growth. It's easy for gardeners
frustrated by hard, clay soils to grasp at anything that sounds like
it might work. With gypsum, the expression "If it sounds too good to
be true, it is too good to be true" applies.
http://www.colostate.edu/Dept/CoopEx...oil/gypsum.htm

Soil Amendments and Practices of Unproven Value
Gypsum (when added to soil to soften clay/loosen compacted soil,
to lower the pH of alkaline soils, to raise the pH of acid soils, or
to treat soil salinity)

Gypsum, which is hydrated calcium sulfate (a low-solubility salt), is
effective in treating sodic soils, which are soils high in
exchangeable sodium. The sodium between soil particles attracts water,
causing the soil to disperse. The dispersed particles seal the soil
surface, reducing infiltration. Addition of gypsum replaces the sodium
on the exchange sites with calcium, which results in flocculation of
the soil particles into soil aggregates. The resultant sodium sulfate
can then be leached out of the soil. Although gypsum does improve
structure in sodic soils, it will not soften clay nor loosen compacted
soil.
http://articles.extension.org/pages/...unproven-value

Old 03-12-2015, 02:23 PM posted to rec.gardens

"David E. Ross" writes:

On 12/2/2015 2:36 PM, Bob F wrote:
David E. Ross wrote:
On 12/2/2015 7:44 AM, Bob F wrote:
David E. Ross wrote:
[...]

Agree.

Plus, I think it would take a long time for the gypsum to reach any clay
under the lawn. We have all clay around here, but the lawn forms about
an inch of black soil on top of the clay.

--
Dan Espen
Old 03-12-2015, 06:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

Moe DeLoughan wrote:
The Myth of Gypsum Magic: Adding gypsum to your yard or garden will
improve soil tilth and plant health
by Linda Chalker-Scott, Ph.D., Extension Horticulturist and Associate
Professor, Puyallup Research and Extension Center, Washington State
University

interesting observations for sure.

as we have minimal funds to buy amendments i've gotten by
in large areas with some simple things. we have clay,
some sand and a hard pan layer from the area being used
for crops and a tree farm.

leveling to keep topsoil and organic materials in place.
growing green manure crops and chopping them back to
encourage worm life (we don't have grazing animals).

if you don't have night crawlers and they aren't
considered an invasive species then it can help to
add them (they'll need some time to get going and
should be introduced in an area where you can
disturb the soil as they normally grow their burrows
as they grow themselves).

takes some time to see results, but the price was
right.

songbird