Old 05-12-2015, 03:47 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Coffee Grounds Question

How can one use coffee grounds in garden? I can get quite a lot of coffee
grounds from Starbucks, about 5 Gallon pail a day if I can use it. I
have a 1500 Sq Foot vegetable garden and I live in Central Michigan. The
soil in my garden is neutral to slightly acidic. I do add organic stuff to
the soil every year. Just a couple of months ago I tilled in some horse
manure. Not sure if taking the coffee grounds is a good or bad idea at this
point, but I have read that it is a good source of nitrogen and other
nutrients

I was considering composting the grounds and looking at one web site that
says mix 4 parts brown material to 1 part green (coffee grounds)
.......another says to mix equal parts brown and green. One says coffee
grounds are very acidic and the other says they can vary from slightly
alkaline to slightly acidic.

One web site says that a good option is to spread about an inch over an an
area then till into soil and that the grounds do a good job of conditioning
the soil and break down slowly. Another says never spread grounds in garden
they are way to acidic and must be composted first.

Right now the coffee grounds are going into trash. and is just a short
distance from me.

I am thinking of taking them and dumping into a pile, then spread it and
till it in in the spring.
Old 05-12-2015, 04:06 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Sat, 5 Dec 2015 02:47:16 GMT, "buckwheat"
wrote:

[...]

In your situation, I'd certainly take their coffee grounds, especially
if you can get '5 gallons' per day. Coffee grounds are neutral,
PH-wise, so you could either apply it directly to the garden or add it
to your compost (I'd probably do the latter if I had lots of coffee
grounds)
Old 05-12-2015, 05:19 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 5/12/2015 1:47 PM, buckwheat wrote:
How can one use coffee grounds in garden?

Worms like it when I've put a msall amount regulalry into my worm farm.
If they like it, then I'm sure it's be great spread right round the
garden on anything that doesn't have a reputation for being delicate or
needs cossetting.

Old 05-12-2015, 02:15 PM posted to rec.gardens

buckwheat wrote:

How can one use coffee grounds in garden? I can get quite a lot of coffee

I am thinking of taking them and dumping into a pile, then spread it and
till it in in the spring.

if they give you a bucket a day i'd take them just for
that reason alone. good buckets are nice to have...

if you are going to use them by tilling in then i'd
do it ASAP while we have some nice weather and they can
start decomposing.

if you are going to use them as a surface mulch (say
like around blueberry bushes) you can use them any time.

the point being that any temporary decrease in nutrients
(mainly nitrogen) from decomposition will mostly be over
with by the time things warm up and you plant in the spring.

if you have a compost pile it's a good thing to run them
through that before using them as a till in amendment because
then you avoid the temporary nutrient drain.

that many sq ft can likely use a lot of buckets depending
upon what type of soil you already have and it's condition.

if you have a lot of clay then i'd use more grounds. if
you have poor soil with mostly sand i'd add some clay along
with the coffee grounds (you don't need much to make a lot
of difference).

songbird (also in mid-michigan
Old 05-12-2015, 03:25 PM posted to rec.gardens

buckwheat wrote:

How can one use coffee grounds in garden? I can get quite a lot of coffee
grounds from Starbucks, about 5 Gallon pail a day if I can use it. I
have a 1500 Sq Foot vegetable garden and I live in Central Michigan.

I've been using all my household coffee grounds in my garden for more
than fifty years but I compost it along with the paper filters and all
other compostibles. A five gallon bucketful is a lot of grounds, I
probably don't have much more than that from home in a year, I only
brew ten cups a day. My vegetable garden is 2,500 sq ft, I would
definitely use that five gallon bucketful of grounds a day in my
garden, but I would compost them first... I'd probably just dump them
in a pile in a wooded area to compost and shovel them up as needed.
I'd be a sin to let them go into the trash, even if you didn't have a
vegetable garden they'd make great weed blocking mulch around trees,
shrubs, and in flower beds, and can only improve your soil. You live
too far from upstate NY or I'd be thrilled to take those grounds off
your hands... you literally have a gardener's brown gold mine.

Old 06-12-2015, 12:10 AM posted to rec.gardens

Well I picked up first coffee grounds today, and it was a pretty good amount
and very clean, they gave me about 35 or 40 lbs of what looks like dozens of
miniature hockey pucks made of compressed coffee grounds.

[IMG] code is On

coffee grounds from cold press coffee user Roses 4 01-05-2004 05:03 PM
question about coffee grounds JohnDKestell Edible Gardening 5 29-06-2003 02:08 PM
NPK of Coffee Grounds Ryunen Gardening 1 01-03-2003 06:27 AM
[IBC] Fw: Coffee grounds Jim Lewis Bonsai 2 22-02-2003 05:27 PM
Coffee grounds Theo Bonsai 0 22-02-2003 09:15 AM