Old 02-01-2016, 02:43 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Six Oranges

Golden globes hanging on my dwarf Washington.

Several fallen off because theysplit (why?) but I keep
exhorting the survivors to hang in there just two
more weeks till my children arrive from New York for
my birthday party.

Taste ineffable...

HB
Old 02-01-2016, 03:46 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 1/1/2016 6:43 PM, Hypatia Nachshon wrote:
Golden globes hanging on my dwarf Washington.

Several fallen off because theysplit (why?) but I keep
exhorting the survivors to hang in there just two
more weeks till my children arrive from New York for
my birthday party.

Taste ineffable...

HB

Splitting is often caused by fluctuations in soil moisture. When it is
too dry, the skin becomes hard or tough. Then when there is abundant
moisture, the fruit inside the skin swells.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
Old 02-01-2016, 04:06 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Fri, 1 Jan 2016 18:43:57 -0800 (PST), Hypatia Nachshon
wrote:

Golden globes hanging on my dwarf Washington.

Several fallen off because theysplit (why?) but I keep
exhorting the survivors to hang in there just two
more weeks till my children arrive from New York for
my birthday party.

Taste ineffable...

HB

There is no one reason why the splitting occurs. It can be a
combination of things. According to the article below, it is likely
tree stress due to fluctuations in any of these - temp, humidity, soil
moisture and possibly fertilizer.

http://homeorchard.ucdavis.edu/8038.pdf

I have a tree loaded with kumquats right now....the tree is sitting in
my kitchen, over wintering in a southern exposure. There is jam in my
future.

Boron

Old 03-01-2016, 05:14 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Golden globes hanging on my dwarf Washington.

Several fallen off because theysplit (why?) but I keep
exhorting the survivors to hang in there just two
more weeks till my children arrive from New York for
my birthday party.

Taste ineffable...

HB

There is no one reason why the splitting occurs. It can be a
combination of things. According to the article below, it is likely
tree stress due to fluctuations in any of these - temp, humidity, soil
moisture and possibly fertilizer.

http://homeorchard.ucdavis.edu/8038.pdf

I have a tree loaded with kumquats right now....the tree is sitting in
my kitchen, over wintering in a southern exposure. There is jam in my
future.

Boron

Thanks to David and Boron for this. I will be much more vigilant next year (uh, THIS year!) to keep deep watering on even schedule.

Could not access the link directly, as my system will not convert pdf to other.
I am recovering from a major HD crash which lost everything for the last 20 years. (Lesson: Do not postpone backing up!)so cannot find whatever I had that dealt with problem.

Any thoughts? Running Windows 7 on Dell Inspiron Home Premium.

No, I do not want to d/l Windows 10. Ran it on borrowed desktop while mine was in the shop, and hated it.

TIA

HB
Old 03-01-2016, 06:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

This is why folks stash everything up in the cloud nowadays - I am
still backward enough to keep physical back-ups, though.

HDs can go belly up at any point - so can back up drives. They can be
replaced, but recovery of data, if possible, is always pricey.

You can stick with Win7, as MS will support it through 2020. I have
made the transition to Win10 with all but one of my laptops and my
office computer, which is out of my hands, but means I use both
systems all the time. I have deiced that I like Win10 a lot. Keep in
mind it has been designed to be used on tablets which is the platform
that millennials use most (smartphones are right up there, too, but MS
hasn't been successful in the phone market, although its phones have
actually gotten good OS reviews).

Old 04-01-2016, 12:40 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Fri, 1 Jan 2016 19:46:02 -0800, "David E. Ross"
wrote:

Splitting is often caused by fluctuations in soil moisture. When it is
too dry, the skin becomes hard or tough. Then when there is abundant
moisture, the fruit inside the skin swells.

Yes, especially common with tomatoes.
Old 05-01-2016, 06:51 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

Thanks, Boron. I just have the one desktop and don't plan to get anything else. I know this is very primitive, but I don't do cloud because I hae
no control over it -- and is it true one cannot back up?

NEW SUBJECT: Decode PDF. Earlier in this thread I had asked if anyone had a link to decode PDF. I can't read anything that comes in PDF.

In my pre-crash system I could read PDF, but I'm afraid I didn't notice how.

Any help welcome.

TIA

HB

Old 05-01-2016, 12:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 4 Jan 2016 22:51:05 -0800 (PST)
Hypatia Nachshon wrote:

snip
NEW SUBJECT: Decode PDF. Earlier in this thread I had asked if anyone had a link to decode PDF. I can't read anything that comes in PDF.

In my pre-crash system I could read PDF, but I'm afraid I didn't notice how.

Boron suggested Acrobat, which is a disgusting beast in my opinion...

A couple other free choices that I like:

https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Evince

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sumatra_pdf

There are more, depending on your operating system and tastes...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Old 05-01-2016, 02:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Computer Speak... was OJ:

On Tue, 5 Jan 2016 08:57:02 -0400, Leon Fisk
wrote:

On Mon, 4 Jan 2016 22:51:05 -0800 (PST)
Hypatia Nachshon wrote:

snip
NEW SUBJECT: Decode PDF. Earlier in this thread I had asked if anyone had a link to decode PDF. I can't read anything that comes in PDF.

In my pre-crash system I could read PDF, but I'm afraid I didn't notice how.

Boron suggested Acrobat, which is a disgusting beast in my opinion...

A couple other free choices that I like:

https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Evince

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sumatra_pdf

There are more, depending on your operating system and tastes...

Computer Speak. . . .

Old 05-01-2016, 07:34 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

To avoid Adobe's cloud version of Adobe Reader, go to
https://get.adobe.com/reader/otherversions/. In the order presented,
select you operating system, language, and Adobe Reader version. Just
be sure NOT to select a Adobe Reader version that contains "DC", which
would be a cloud version.

With FTP, you might even get a later non-cloud version. Let me know in
this thread if you want that.

Old 05-01-2016, 07:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

On Mon, 4 Jan 2016 22:51:05 -0800 (PST)
Hypatia Nachshon wrote:

snip
NEW SUBJECT: Decode PDF. Earlier in this thread I had asked if anyone had a link to decode PDF. I can't read anything that comes in PDF.

In my pre-crash system I could read PDF, but I'm afraid I didn't notice how.

Boron suggested Acrobat, which is a disgusting beast in my opinion...

I use what my clients use, as there are a lot of add-ons to Acrobat
that get used by them.

Still, I have never had any problems with it. What don't you like?
Old 05-01-2016, 08:02 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

On Mon, 4 Jan 2016 22:51:05 -0800 (PST)
Hypatia Nachshon wrote:

snip

[...]

Boron suggested Acrobat, which is a disgusting beast in my opinion...

I use what my clients use, as there are a lot of add-ons to Acrobat
that get used by them.

Still, I have never had any problems with it. What don't you like?

It is like inviting a cleaning service into your house. Everything
seems wonderful at first. Then you start to notice subtle little
things. Something got tossed you wanted to keep, other things got moved
a bit this way and that. New cleaning supplies in the closet that
really aren't what you would like being used. And you can't go back
to the way it was before you invited them on...

I can understand businesses that use Acrobat (paid for) to create
documents but there are plenty of good readers available nowadays that
don't rearrange your system as they see fit.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Old 05-01-2016, 09:02 PM posted to rec.gardens

Boron Elgar wrote:

snip
I use what my clients use, as there are a lot of add-ons to Acrobat
that get used by them.

Still, I have never had any problems with it. What don't you like?

It is like inviting a cleaning service into your house. Everything
seems wonderful at first. Then you start to notice subtle little
things. Something got tossed you wanted to keep, other things got moved
a bit this way and that. New cleaning supplies in the closet that
really aren't what you would like being used. And you can't go back
to the way it was before you invited them on...

I can understand businesses that use Acrobat (paid for) to create
documents but there are plenty of good readers available nowadays that
don't rearrange your system as they see fit.

I've been using 'SumatraPDF' for at least a couple of years now. It
must be okay for general reading because I've never thought about
looking for an alternative in that time. As you say, there's a number
of good free alternatives out there, especially for just reading
files.
Old 07-01-2016, 11:25 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

I so appreciate members pitching in on this problem!

ISTR on my previous (crashed) system, I always had trouble installing Acrobat.

Now, I CANNOT find a non-DC version, even at the link David gave. Everything
defaults to DC. I even searched a long list of Acrobats and found what looked like an (old but good) verzion and THAT defaulted to DC!

So I gave up and installed it and it is not working. When I go to Open a link that previously opened in gibberish, it now says it's D/L .8 MB of ? but nothing happens.

If anybody happens to have a working link to *before DC (not an update)* would appreciate your posting it.

Otherwise, will have to try one of other the "free" systems offered by such as

howtogeek which analyses several alternatives.

This is a NIGHTMARE.

With renewed thanks,

HB