Old 04-02-2016, 10:02 PM
Registered User

Lightbulb Hedge ideas - windy location, acidic soil, mild climate

We would like to plant a hedge next to the road on our property. It doesn't need to be a very big hedge. It is under a pine tree, so the soil is quite acidic with lots of pine needles. Next to/On top of a granite wall, so better not to have large roots that would disrupt this. The climate is mild (Channel Islands), but we are on a hill and it can be very exposed/windy. Other parts of the wall have a Fuschia hedge, which does well, but is further away from the tree and very thin in winter. We would prefer to have something that is either green all year, or has a lot more density (so the backyard is a little more sheltered and private). Be great if the hedge can establish itself within a couple of years or so. The climate here means things do tend to grow quickly.

Any recommendations/ideas? We have a big bay that seems to be ok in these conditions and I considered making a bay hedge, but that might be quite a slow grower?

Thanks!

Kaspar
Old 05-02-2016, 03:55 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Hedge ideas - windy location, acidic soil, mild climate

http://www.pyracantha.co.uk/planting...acantha-hedge/

Old 05-02-2016, 09:54 AM
Registered User

Yes, we have one of these in the garden that does very well. Birds like it too. But for some reason I'm not keen on the way it flowers and berries. Maybe it's the quantity or the colour. I have a few ideas now from a bit of research. We may just go with bay as it works, or something reddish in appearance that would be nice against the granite, dark green pine and red fuscia, like berberis.
Old 05-02-2016, 04:06 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 2/4/2016 2:02 PM, kjjaw wrote:
[...]

Japanese boxwood
dwarf Burford holly (Ilex cornuta 'Burfordii Nana')

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
Old 05-02-2016, 05:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

kjjaw wrote:

[...]

Canadian hemlock makes a wonderful dense evergreen hedge. They are
shallow rooted but grown as a hedge they won't uproot in heavy winds.
They have one major drawback or I'd be planting many, Deer consider
Canadian hemlock the equivalent of potato chips. Where I lived
previously I had a majestic Canadian hemlock hedge running 120' across
my back border and 6' tall but I had no deer, here deer would decimate
it.
http://landscaping.about.com/od/ever...lock_trees.htm
http://search.aol.com/aol/image?q=ca...ord_rollove r

As an aside, pyracantha is one of my favorite specimen plants to
aspalier on a fence/wall but I don't suggest using it as a hedge where
anyone, especially children, may inadvertantly walk/run into it (even
a pet dog), its thorns are deadly... before planting a pyracantha
hedge I strongly suggest consulting your attorney.
http://search.aol.com/aol/image?q=py...ord_rollove r

Old 05-02-2016, 07:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 2016-02-05 17:51:54 +0000, Brooklyn1 said:

As an aside, pyracantha is one of my favorite specimen plants to
aspalier on a fence/wall but I don't suggest using it as a hedge where
anyone, especially children, may inadvertantly walk/run into it (even
a pet dog), its thorns are deadly... before planting a pyracantha
hedge I strongly suggest consulting your attorney.

Typical b1 bs hyperbole.

Old 05-02-2016, 10:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

Amos Nomore wrote:
Brooklyn1 said:

As an aside, pyracantha is one of my favorite specimen plants to
aspalier on a fence/wall but I don't suggest using it as a hedge where
anyone, especially children, may inadvertantly walk/run into it (even
a pet dog), its thorns are deadly... before planting a pyracantha
hedge I strongly suggest consulting your attorney.

Typical b1 bs hyperbole.

You have nothing useful to contribute? Your kind of hotair blowhard
is why people post that they are leaving this newsgroup... obviously
you've never seen a pyracantha. For the sane folks here planting a
pyracantra hedge is like erecting a barbed wire fence, only far more
seriously dangerous due to its danger not being readily obvious. Super
Max prisons could use pyracantha in lieu of razor wire. Pyracantha and
similar plants are what herdsman used to contain cattle and other
livestock before barbed wire was invented. Here's another:
http://www.motherearthnews.com/organ...maz85zsie.aspx
Famous Amos Nomore Know Nothing knows absolutely nothing about
gardening, it's a pointy headed imbecile and a trolling newsgroup
disruptor.
/\
/ \
/ \
/ \
| ¤ ¤ |
| ¿ |
| «» |
|________| --- Amos Nomore

Pointy-Headed Imbecile Award®
Old 05-02-2016, 11:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 2016-02-05 22:41:38 +0000, Brooklyn1 said:

Famous Amos Nomore Know Nothing knows absolutely nothing about
gardening, it's a pointy headed imbecile and a trolling newsgroup
disruptor.
/\
/ \
/ \
/ \
| ¤ ¤ |
| ¿ |
| «» |
|________| --- Amos Nomore

Pointy-Headed Imbecile Award®

Typical b1 childish insecurity.

Old 06-02-2016, 12:34 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Fri, 5 Feb 2016 16:22:15 -0700, Amos Nomore

On 2016-02-05 22:41:38 +0000, Brooklyn1 said:

Famous Amos Nomore Know Nothing knows absolutely nothing about
gardening, it's a pointy headed imbecile and a trolling newsgroup
disruptor.
/\
/ \
/ \
/ \
| ¤ ¤ |
| ¿ |
| «» |
|________| --- Amos Nomore

Pointy-Headed Imbecile Award®

Typical b1 childish insecurity.

Typical know absolutely nothing about gardening response... and now
I'm done with you.
Old 06-02-2016, 12:46 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 2016-02-06 00:34:12 +0000, Brooklyn1 said:

Typical know absolutely nothing about gardening response... and now
I'm done with you.

Typical b1 righteous indignation and condescension. I am not done with you.

Old 06-02-2016, 08:36 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 04/02/16 22:02, kjjaw wrote:
[...]

Have a look at the various cultivars of Aucuba japonica. If you like red
berries, "Rozannie" is a good choice.

--

Jeff