Old 07-03-2016, 03:33 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Gabion Wall for garden - worth doing?

Brooklyn1 wrote:
On Mon, 7 Mar 2016 08:26:03 -0600, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Brooklyn1 wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:
Brooklyn1 wrote:
wrote:

John, its my back garden - up to 6.5ft i can do anything i like.
Although it would be nearer 7ft but then hidden by the current
7ft fence i have up anyway ( been there years - no-one would see
it other than me )

Logistically, how high can you go to reduce noise - seriously!
in a backgarden!!

As for planning , construction etc..that was my intial question!
- what planning is needed?...

I buy the metal baskets ( £20 a time ), lay them on ground, throw
in some quarry bricks, and then repeat with another basket/cage.
Simples - no?

Why is nothing simple.

I know the internet is full of negativity - you will always
gather 9 bad reports for 1 decent one - nature of the beast! -
just would like the pros and cons for what I'm considering. End
of the day - I aint making the noise!, but I will be the muppet
who forks out a few hundred quid because of selfish neighbours.
Im not the bad guy here.

Baskets of rocks will do absolutely nothing to deaden sound, if
anything rocks will amplify sound. Something soft/porous, like
wood chips/compost will deaden sound, to what degree, depends on
the nature of the sound, but probably not by much. You still
haven't described/defined the noise; machinery, loud talking,
barking dogs, amplified music, what... you must be embarrassed to
say... probably sexual emanations! LOL-LOL

He's said numerous times the neighbors talk too loud ... how could
you have missed that ?

Show me. He may have at gardenbanter but not here.

This is in one of his responses to you :

"Thanks for replying.

All a matter of taste in what it looks like, but as the last reply
mentioned, yes it is more a case of supressing sound.

From the little ive read on suject, was under impression a gabion
wall is better than brick and certainly a thin (tall) fence re
sound. It may just echo it back into the neighours garden perhaps.

Any other ( cheap ) solution more than welcome. Really is a case of
'talking loudly' noise polution ( we have put up with worse in the
past from other neighbours ).."

That's not a post, that's copied and pasted, and that's not numerous
times. I asked to describe the noise several times and he's not once
replied directly. In any event there's no solution for people talking
loudly and "loudly" indicates no degree... sounds to me the OP is
living in the wrong place, he needs to move to where he's a much
greater distance from neighbors, or wear shooter's ear protection
muffs 24/7. This hasn't a whit to do with gardening so I'm out of
here.

That was copied and pasted FROM A RESPONSE TO YOU . Don't let the door hit
you in the ass on your way out .

--
Snag

Old 07-03-2016, 04:59 PM posted to rec.gardens

garjobo writes:

Hello,

I am wanting a barrier ( approx 7ft high x 3feet in width x 7ft length)
- ideally for soundproofing my garden near my house. ( annoying
neighbours! )

That's a pretty big pile of rock, but 7x7 even 3 feet thick won't do
much to sound.

Money as always an object, the best solution i can see ( aside from
move! ) is a Gabion Wall, now they look attractive and seem to of come
back in fashion as well.

Wow, I think the wire mesh makes them pretty ugly.
A solid rock wall either laid loose or in cement,
which is very attractive. Of course your can't reach 7ft loose,
so cemented is your only rock option.

My question is, are they stable enough - being 3ft across - approx x 7ft
high - aware i require good quality wire baskets, and over time will
likely give...but just wanting to know from anyone with more knowledge
than me in the trade..

Not in the trade, but rocks in wire mesh will last as long as the mesh.

.simple enough idea? I buy several 'cages' lay them down on cement
floor, tied together, through in some 'cheap quarry rocks' and bobs'
your uncle? Job done?

Or..is there a bit more too it than that? Breezeblock wall better way to
go?

Appreciate your time and any replies.

A deep stand of trees or bushes might be more effective and look nice
too.

Odd that you are posting from England and using feet for measurement.

--
Dan Espen
Old 07-03-2016, 06:11 PM
Registered User

I did state amid my ramblings that the noise was simply that neighbours talked loudly. Which sounds like a small complaint ( believe me in another house we had 4 dogs to contend with, abusive etc etc however it's mightly annoying to hear OTT speaking about nothing more intresting than 'put the washing on dear' and whistling..oh dont get me started the inane whistling. Considering putting a note through there door.

Im disappointed to read comments that Gabion walls wont do anything. However, as some of these comments were put by..well..Im too polite to say anything negative about someone...

lets hope they are wrong.

My understanding is, based on google research...

Corrigated Iron fence - reduction 17db ( a quiet library is around 40bg btw )
Timber ( a favourite on here!!! ) only 25db reduction

Brick wall - 40db

Breezeblock 50db

and finally a Gabion wall - around 60db.

So..my question to anyone with any proper knowledge...would if be of any benefit? a little..? 7ft high remember..safety aspect too..dont want it falling down...any tricks of the trade? Please share.
Old 07-03-2016, 09:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

garjobo writes:

[...]

Make sense.
Brooklyn has a pretty good record of giving bad advice.

Stone itself is an excellent conductor of sound.
But the transition of sound from air to rock, to air to rock
is going to pretty much kill any transmission of sound.

I don't have the numbers on trees or bushes, but I think
all the transitions the sound has to make would be pretty effective
and look a whole lot better.

So..my question to anyone with any proper knowledge...would if be of any
benefit? a little..? 7ft high remember..safety aspect too..dont want it
falling down...any tricks of the trade? Please share.

Never built that kind of wall, but I see them as retaining walls on
hillsides and they sure look permanent to me.

Where I am we have about an acre per house.
The only things I can hear are dogs and screaming children.
The kids I somewhat enjoy. Nice to hear the exuberance of children.

Still can't see how something 7ft wide is going to help.
Does your neighbor stand in one spot to talk?

(Oh yeah, you've been clear from the start that this was
neighbors talking that bothers you.)

--
Dan Espen
Old 07-03-2016, 11:04 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 3/7/2016 1:11 PM, garjobo wrote:
[...]

You also said 7 feet wide and that is what I based my prediction of bad
noise reduction upon. Unless the path between you and your neighbor is only
seven feet wide then sound will inevitably 'sneak' around the wall, no
matter what it might be. In the US when the authorities are required to put
up noise walls along highways they are usually at least 20feet tall and are
continuous for miles at a time and still they are only really effective in
blocking high-pitched tire noise so that the diesel lorry's or the
boy-racer's noisy exhaust still boom through with low frequencies.

Good luck with it. I'm just happy that I can only see my neighbors in the
distance when the trees are bare and can almost never hear anything they
get up to, no matter how raucous.

Old 08-03-2016, 11:19 AM
Registered User

Thank you for the continued replies, didnt really want to drag this one out..but..

Im still disappointed re gabion walls then..agree totally trees etc would be a cheaper solution and look better..but, the 7ft im talking about is at the back garden, side of the house - a narrowish strip. So its on concrete. I cant chisel away, foundations of house/and also we're on a lot of clay.

I have tried a raised bed, growing hedges ..i can grow hedges ok but i dont think they will reduce much. I would love a couple of trees..but cement and too narrow to be honest. - advice welcome? type of tree doesnt need much soil???

To answer previous question, in a way Yes neighbours do stand on one spot - their garage is part of the dividing wall and conservatory hence the area between the two means they often/all the time when the sun shines! are there chatting loudly!!! away...just a few notches below - like most 'normal people would naturally do' and wouldnt have a problem. They are the type who seem to like you to listen 'we are here/ we exist' type people. Annoying.

Any other thoughts welcome. There area does echo , the garage/consveratory area.

In comes Spring and i dredd it, i cant go our into my garden without listening to their inane chatter about nothing!
Old 08-03-2016, 04:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

garjobo wrote:
[...]

Have you considered acoustic countermeasures ? Loud music will drown them
out , plus give them a dose of their own . When they ask you to turn it down
, tell them to talk more softly .

--
Snag

Old 08-03-2016, 09:42 PM
Registered User

Terry, i'm getting a smaller water fountain in time for Spring and yes, the radio will be on.

Any other advice re trees/plants which dont require much soil? as mentioned it is on concrete, a small container which grows a tall, thin tree/bush would be great - get me a half dozen of them.
Old 09-03-2016, 04:10 AM posted to rec.gardens

garjobo wrote:
Terry, i'm getting a smaller water fountain in time for Spring and
yes, the radio will be on.

Any other advice re trees/plants which dont require much soil? as
mentioned it is on concrete, a small container which grows a tall,
thin tree/bush would be great - get me a half dozen of them.

Just about any foliage will help , why not do gouble duty and grow some
citrus or other fruit ? I've seen some do very well in pots . Big pots ...

--
Snag