Old 14-03-2016, 01:19 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Plain Concrete Pavers With Imprints?

Does anyone know of a vendor in the Western US that makes a plain concrete
paver from industrial concrete that has artistic patterns or imprints on the
surface?

I want a real 3" or thicker paver made from industrial concrete, not the
cheap stepping stones sold at places like Home Depot that are actually made
from a very cheap and brittle sand-based mortar.

I need an uncolored concrete that would hold an acid stain, since I want to
color them myself and I want to make sure that no colors were mixed into the
concrete that might affect the chemistry of the acid staining process.

If the paver had interesting floral or other objects embedded that would
highlight the acid stain, this would be even better.

I know the main paver companies like Calstone will make their standard
patterns in plain concrete, but they charge a fortune for this and call it a
special product run. They also don't have very interesting imprint
patterns.

Old 14-03-2016, 06:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

sorry, no, i'm not out west. you might be
better cost wise to make them yourself. both forms
and imprints are not that hard to do and you can
get premix by the bag for about $5/80lbs that should
make a half dozen to a dozen squares.

then you can also add your own colors.

we've used all sorts of things and have not had
problems with cracking. i think if you set them
correctly they won't crack easily.

good luck,

songbird
Old 14-03-2016, 09:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

songbird wrote:

you might be
better cost wise to make them yourself. both forms
and imprints are not that hard to do then you can
also add your own colors.

Agreed, will cost far less making your own imprinted pavers. Plain
pavers cost a lot less to buy ready made but imprinted can be pricey.
Personally I don't see the point of imprinted pavers.
Old 17-03-2016, 04:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Monday, March 14, 2016 at 4:51:57 PM UTC-4, Brooklyn1 wrote:
songbird wrote:

you might be
better cost wise to make them yourself. both forms
and imprints are not that hard to do then you can
also add your own colors.

Agreed, will cost far less making your own imprinted pavers. Plain
pavers cost a lot less to buy ready made but imprinted can be pricey.
Personally I don't see the point of imprinted pavers.

I just looked it up. An 80 pound bag of premix will make 1 paver 18 inches square by 3 inches thick, and cost $3.90. A plain paver of the same size is about $3.50. It's a lot of work to mix concrete.
Old 17-03-2016, 06:23 PM posted to rec.gardens

Tim R wrote:
Brooklyn1 wrote:
songbird wrote:

you might be
better cost wise to make them yourself. both forms
and imprints are not that hard to do then you can
also add your own colors.

Agreed, will cost far less making your own imprinted pavers. Plain
pavers cost a lot less to buy ready made but imprinted can be pricey.
Personally I don't see the point of imprinted pavers.

I just looked it up. An 80 pound bag of premix will make 1 paver 18 inches square by 3 inches thick, and cost $3.90. A plain paver of the same size is about $3.50. It's a lot of work to mix concrete.

I don't see the point of imprinted pavers either. I think one can
create a nice texture by how the pavers are laid out, there are many
patterns; basket weave, diagonals, checker board, many more.
Next month I'm going to install an outdoor 275 gallon fuel tank for
diesel so I needed four concrete blocks to set it on. I bought them
two days ago, my local lumber yard had 8" X 16" X 4" thick solid
concrete blocks for $1.40 each. They had two colors, grey/beige... I
chose grey. They also had larger blocks; 16" X 16" X 4", I didn't ask
the price but imagine maybe $2.80 each. They are actually closer to 4
1/2" thick. They also had fancy pavers with textured and imprinted
tops, they were between $12 & $20 each, but those were only 2 1/2"
thick. I don't think it pays to bother making them from scratch.
The best price I found for a new fuel tank was Home Depot, vertical or
horizontal are the same price., I decided on horizontal for fueling
tractors or I'd need to stand on a stool to reach the pump:
http://www.homedepot.com/s/275%2520g...520tank?NCNI-5
Amazon had the best deal on the pump:
http://www.amazon.com/Fill-Rite-FR11...tary+fuel+pump
I probably should have been buying AG bulk diesel many years ago but
the Sunoco station in town sold diesel and it was nearby so very
handy, but last summer it closed for good, in fact all that's left is
an empty graveled lot. The next nearest place to buy diesel meant a
30 mile round trip. However I'll break even on the cost of the tank,
etc. in two years as AG diesel is about $1 a gallon less, and I
average about ten gallons a week for 26 weeks.