Old 08-04-2016, 12:28 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Lavender

We live in zone 5, and were wondering if our lavender needs to be cut back at this time of year? We planted it last year, and it has grown to about 12 inches. Much obliged.....Ben
Old 08-04-2016, 04:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 4/7/2016 4:28 PM, BeTu wrote:

We live in zone 5, and were wondering if our lavender needs to be cut
back at this time of year? We planted it last year, and it has grown
to about 12 inches. Much obliged.....Ben

Lavender does not require trimming unless it is becoming too leggy.
However, you can trim it to improve its appearance.

Wait until all likelihood of frost is past. When you cut a branch,
either remove the entire branch or else leave some live foliage below
the cut.

A bare branch will die without sending out new shoots. This is true of
the entire salvia family, including lavender, sage, mint, rosemary,
oregano, and a few other herbs, both woody and non-woody perennials.

--
David E. Ross

While many tributes to the late Supreme Court Associate Justice
Antonin Scalia now fill the news media, his legacy was not
necessarily positive. See my "What Price Order, Mr. Justice Scalia?"
at http://www.rossde.com/editorials/edtl_scalia_wrong.html.
Old 12-04-2016, 04:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

BeTu wrote:
We live in zone 5, and were wondering if our lavender needs to be cut back at this time of year? We planted it last year, and it has grown to about 12 inches. Much obliged.....Ben

we've never trimmed back lavender here. it just keeps getting
bigger until we decide to replace it with a new plant.

songbird
Old 14-04-2016, 09:02 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Thursday, April 7, 2016 at 7:28:19 PM UTC-4, BeTu wrote:
We live in zone 5, and were wondering if our lavender needs to be cut back at this time of year? We planted it last year, and it has grown to about 12 inches. Much obliged.....Ben

Thanks everyone!
Old 26-05-2016, 02:27 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Friday, April 8, 2016 at 8:22:36 AM UTC-7, David E. Ross wrote:
On 4/7/2016 4:28 PM, BeTu wrote:

[...]

Whaddya mean "not necessarily positive". Masterpiece of understatement. I didn't think I had any influence Up There, but it seems my prayer has been answered. Next....!

[IMG] code is On

Lavender and White - pale-lavender-and-white.jpg Dave Fouchey Garden Photos 3 30-07-2007 01:36 AM
Munstead Lavender seeds LeAnn Gardening 2 30-03-2003 04:56 PM
Siberian Lavender vericaulk Gardening 2 30-03-2003 02:32 AM
Good Lavender Miniature Roses Rose rescue Radika Kesavan Roses 7 24-03-2003 09:08 PM
Pruning lavender (zone 24/8) Polar Gardening 6 04-02-2003 02:53 AM