Old 19-05-2016, 03:14 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Problems removing leaves from gravel?

rosswhillis writes:

Hi Garden Banter Members,

My name is Ross Whillis and I am a product designer.

Recently I have been working on a product which removes leaves from
gravel without removing or displacing the gravel. The design picked up
an award in last years James Dyson Awards making the international top
20!

If anyone is experiencing issues removing leaves from their gravel I
want to hear from you. Your feedback is very valuable.

http://tinyurl.com/zbf4jwx

Lots of leaves, lots of gravel.
I use a back pack blower.
Works great.
What I could use is a larger container for moving the piles of
leaves to the compost pile. Tarps are a waste of time.

BTW, you posted to Garden Banter, but that site is gated to
Usenet, rec.gardens where I read and replied.

--
Dan Espen
Old 19-05-2016, 10:16 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Espen[_2_] View Post
rosswhillis writes:

Hi Garden Banter Members,

My name is Ross Whillis and I am a product designer.

Recently I have been working on a product which removes leaves from
gravel without removing or displacing the gravel. The design picked up
an award in last years James Dyson Awards making the international top
20!

If anyone is experiencing issues removing leaves from their gravel I
want to hear from you. Your feedback is very valuable.

Problems removing leaves from gravel? Survey

Lots of leaves, lots of gravel.
I use a back pack blower.
Works great.
What I could use is a larger container for moving the piles of
leaves to the compost pile. Tarps are a waste of time.

BTW, you posted to Garden Banter, but that site is gated to
Usenet, rec.gardens where I read and replied.

--
Dan Espen
Hi Dan,

Thank you for reposting and for your feedback. It is very helpful.
Interesting to see the link, how much does it weigh all together. Also what do you use after the leaf blower to put them into the compost pile.

Thanks,

Ross
Old 19-05-2016, 04:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

rosswhillis writes:

'Dan Espen[_2_ Wrote:
-

(
http://tinyurl.com/zbf4jwx)-

Lots of leaves, lots of gravel.
I use a back pack blower.
Works great.
What I could use is a larger container for moving the piles of
leaves to the compost pile. Tarps are a waste of time.

BTW, you posted to Garden Banter, but that site is gated to
Usenet, rec.gardens where I read and replied.

--
Dan Espen

Hi Dan,

Thank you for reposting and for your feedback. It is very helpful.
Interesting to see the link, how much does it weigh all together. Also
what do you use after the leaf blower to put them into the compost
pile.

Leaf blower to piles.
I use a rake to fill a 50 gallon RubberMaid wheeled trash can
with a hinged lid.
The job would go quicker with a larger container on bigger wheels.
So far, I haven't seen one.
The top opening on a 50 gal is slightly smaller than the rake which
impedes filling the container.
My guess is that 100 gal would be too big to move and empty easily.

I end up with compost pile about the size of a van each year.

If I was bagging leaves I'd be facing different issues.

Getting back to leaves and gravel, I use a lot of 3/8 inch marble
chips in the landscape. The blower clears the leaves with very
little gravel getting blown around.

--
Dan Espen
Old 19-05-2016, 05:09 PM posted to rec.gardens

Dan Espen wrote:
rosswhillis writes:
Dan Espen[_2_ Wrote:
rosswhillis writes:

My name is Ross Whillis and I am a product designer.

Recently I have been working on a product which removes leaves from
gravel without removing or displacing the gravel.

You'd do far better working on a product for removing gravel... only
an utter imbecile places gravel in a garden... after raking stones
from my soil I'd have to be brain dead to put stones back.

Interesting to see the link, how much does it weigh all together. Also
what do you use after the leaf blower to put them into the compost
pile.

Leaf blower to piles. I use a rake to fill a 50 gallon RubberMaid wheeled trash can
with a hinged lid.

I wait for a dry windy fall day and ride my tractor mower fitted with
mulching blades over the dry fallen leaves, the mower shoots the
ground up leaves into a plile as I cirled arond and over the pile,
within a few minutes the leaves are shredded into tiny bits one can
barely see. Come spring they have amended the soil. I can't be
bothered collecting and composting leaves, too much time and effort...
I compost kitchen scraps. I mulch mowed gras too, no grass clipping
to deal wih. When clearing brush I make piles at the edge of the
woods for critters. I can't imagine normal brained people dumping
gravel in their gardens, what fools.
Old 19-05-2016, 07:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

Brooklyn1 writes:

Dan Espen wrote:
rosswhillis writes:
Dan Espen[_2_ Wrote:
rosswhillis writes:

My name is Ross Whillis and I am a product designer.

Recently I have been working on a product which removes leaves from
gravel without removing or displacing the gravel.

You'd do far better working on a product for removing gravel... only
an utter imbecile places gravel in a garden... after raking stones
from my soil I'd have to be brain dead to put stones back.

I can always count on you throw around random insults.
I've got gravel instead of mulch in some places.
Nice shiny white marble chips.
It looks nice and does not splash up onto the
foundation when hit by rain.

So, I'm an idiot.

--
Dan Espen

Old 19-05-2016, 07:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 19 May 2016, Brooklyn1 wrote in
rec.gardens:

You'd do far better working on a product for removing gravel...

Like what?
Old 19-05-2016, 09:45 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 19 May 2016 13:12:32 -0400, Dan Espen
wrote:

Brooklyn1 writes:

Dan Espen wrote:
rosswhillis writes:
Dan Espen[_2_ Wrote:
rosswhillis writes:

My name is Ross Whillis and I am a product designer.

Recently I have been working on a product which removes leaves from
gravel without removing or displacing the gravel.

You'd do far better working on a product for removing gravel... only
an utter imbecile places gravel in a garden... after raking stones
from my soil I'd have to be brain dead to put stones back.

I can always count on you throw around random insults.
I've got gravel instead of mulch in some places.
Nice shiny white marble chips.
It looks nice and does not splash up onto the
foundation when hit by rain.

So, I'm an idiot.

You're way lower than an idiot, an insect has more brain power.
What pray tell does a garden full of stones accomplish?
Old 19-05-2016, 10:13 PM posted to rec.gardens

Nil wrote:
Brooklyn1 wrote:
You'd do far better working on a product for removing gravel...

Like what?

A rake, a shovel, and a wheelbarrow.
When I think of all the effort I expend
removing stones from my gardens I imagine
anyone buying pebbles to plant in their garden
I imagine an extremely retarded child that requires
institutionalization.
Old 19-05-2016, 11:07 PM posted to rec.gardens

Nil wrote:
Brooklyn1 wrote:
You'd do far better working on a product for removing gravel...

Like what?

A rake, a shovel, and a wheelbarrow.

Those aren't "products for removing gravel".
Old 20-05-2016, 01:52 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Brooklyn1 writes:

Dan Espen wrote:
rosswhillis writes:
Dan Espen[_2_ Wrote:
rosswhillis writes:

My name is Ross Whillis and I am a product designer.

Recently I have been working on a product which removes leaves from
gravel without removing or displacing the gravel.

You'd do far better working on a product for removing gravel... only
an utter imbecile places gravel in a garden... after raking stones
from my soil I'd have to be brain dead to put stones back.

I can always count on you throw around random insults.
I've got gravel instead of mulch in some places.
Nice shiny white marble chips.
It looks nice and does not splash up onto the
foundation when hit by rain.

So, I'm an idiot.

You're way lower than an idiot, an insect has more brain power.

Idiot is IQ 30 and below.

What pray tell does a garden full of stones accomplish?

You expect your garden to accomplish something?
I'm just looking for something that looks nice.

Come to think of it, I guess I do accomplish something.
The stones stop the mud, or mulch, or whatever from
splashing up and getting stuff covered with other stuff.

Most places I put the gravel, I can't grow anything anyway.
Nice white sparkly stuff where the shade is too deep to
grow anything. Looks good to me.

--
Dan Espen

Old 22-05-2016, 01:24 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article , rednoise9
@REMOVETHIScomcast.net says...

Nil wrote:
Brooklyn1 wrote:
You'd do far better working on a product for removing gravel...

Like what?

A rake, a shovel, and a wheelbarrow.

Those aren't "products for removing gravel".

They remove, or apply it just fine. If you know of better ones for
doing it on a small scale, do inform the Connecticut Department of
Transportation because I see their crews out manipulating gravel with
exactly those tools on a fairly regular basis.

Of course if you need to do it on a larger scale, dump truck, backhoe,
and grader become useful.
Old 22-05-2016, 02:49 PM posted to rec.gardens

J. Clarke wrote:
They remove, or apply it just fine. If you know of better ones for
doing it on a small scale, do inform the Connecticut Department of
Transportation because I see their crews out manipulating gravel with
exactly those tools on a fairly regular basis.

Of course if you need to do it on a larger scale, dump truck, backhoe,
and grader become useful.

large vaccuum, suck it up, rinse and/or screen it
again and put it back down, all in one unit. recover
the topsoil for use in other gardens, it'd probably be
pretty good stuff.

songbird

[IMG] code is On

Gravel Amount - Gravel Koi-Lo Ponds 7 08-06-2006 08:12 AM
Gravel Problems!!! Why now? Freshwater Aquaria Plants 2 25-03-2004 02:56 AM
Gravel Problems!!! Why now? Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 25-03-2004 02:56 AM
Gravel Problems!!! Why now? Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 25-03-2004 02:45 AM
Gravel or no gravel Barry Ponds 3 18-09-2003 01:12 AM