Old 12-07-2016, 10:42 AM
Registered User

Location: Somerset
Question Seeds And Strains And Some Problems

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum seeking some info on a couple of problems i have en counted in my garden. I have some beautiful traditional Lilly's in my garden and they keep being eaten or maybe just rotting away i'm not sure it's not like i catch the little buggers in the act. Does anyone know what type of bugs you get in standard English gardens and what i can do to avoid them? Also it could be the strain that i have? does anybody have a good English garden seeds for sale site? I say sites because i am busy working and would like to spend my free time in the garden not the garden center haha. And then the question you all get.... WEEDS driving me crazy coming through my gravel and grass everywhere kinda out of control.

Any info would be great

Thanks
Old 12-07-2016, 06:04 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Seeds And Strains And Some Problems

gardenaway wrote:

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum seeking some info on a couple of
problems i have en counted in my garden. I have some beautiful
traditional Lilly's in my garden and they keep being eaten or maybe just
rotting away i'm not sure it's not like i catch the little buggers in
the act. Does anyone know what type of bugs you get in standard English
gardens and what i can do to avoid them? Also it could be the strain
that i have? does anybody have a good English garden seeds for sale
site? I say sites because i am busy working and would like to spend my
free time in the garden not the garden center haha. And then the
question you all get.... WEEDS driving me crazy coming through my gravel
and grass everywhere kinda out of control.

most the time in grasses if there are a lot of
weeds germinating that means you are trimming it
too low. i don't care much if there are weeds in
the grass here, we have a lot of variety. mint
in some areas, yarrow, clovers, trefoil, the bunnies
will sometimes come through and eat the stuff out
that they like and we mow it regularly with a
mulching mower.

in gardens you can mulch around your plants
using layers of cardboard and then cover it with
wood chips. by the time the cardboard disintegrates
the weeds below it are smothered and won't regrow.
if they do, just repeat until they give up.

don't disturb the soil as much as possible as
that moves weed seeds around (from where they
won't germinate to where they will).

some of the lillies i grow here are often eaten
by animals (deer, rabbits, voles, etc.). i have
most of the ones i really care about in the fenced
gardens which keeps most of the trouble makers out.
the rest stumble along and seem to survive.

are they getting enough light?

songbird
Old 12-07-2016, 06:25 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 12/07/16 10:42, gardenaway wrote:
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum seeking some info on a couple of
problems i have en counted in my garden. I have some beautiful
traditional Lilly's in my garden and they keep being eaten or maybe just
rotting away i'm not sure it's not like i catch the little buggers in
the act. Does anyone know what type of bugs you get in standard English
gardens and what i can do to avoid them? Also it could be the strain
that i have? does anybody have a good English garden seeds for sale
site? I say sites because i am busy working and would like to spend my
free time in the garden not the garden center haha. And then the
question you all get.... WEEDS driving me crazy coming through my gravel
and grass everywhere kinda out of control.

Any info would be great

Thanks

You almost certainly have lily beetle. It's a nasty pest which can
defoliate lilies and fritillaries. You might see the very attractive
beetle itself, which is bright red (see
https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=553). There is also its very
unattractive larva, which look like a black mobile bird dropping. You
need to catch the beetles and kill them. They are crafty and drop off at
the slightest touch, often remaining still and upside-down on the soil.
The underside is black and difficult to see against soil. So if you see
one, put a piece of paper or flowerpot saucer under the beetle before
you touch it. They are quite tough and you need to use a bit of force to
crush them. You can spray with a pyrethrin-type insecticide, or a
systemic insecticide such as acetamiprid.

For seeds there are numerous suppliers. If you want to try something a
little bit different, have a look at Chiltern Seeds.

Weeds on gravel can be treated with a glyphosate-based herbicide. On a
lawn, you'll need a specific broad-leaf based herbicide. Do NOT use
glyphosate, as grass is particularly sensitive to it. See suggestions
here
http://www.lawnsmith.co.uk/topic/law...ne-weed-killer
for killing weeds in lawns.

--

Jeff
Old 13-07-2016, 05:52 AM
Registered User

Location: Somerset
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Layman[_2_] View Post
[...]

The Best Lawn Weed Killers: Weedol (Verdone) and Resolva
for killing weeds in lawns.

--

Jeff

Hello Jeff,

unfortunately i learnt about the weeds in my grass and using de-weeders the hard way, I had brown patches everywhere i was gutted to say the least. The links above are great now i know what product i am looking for. I have heard a roomer on the inter net that lime juice mixed with water will also do the job for killing bugs or repelling them and to keep the lime peels at the base of the plants?? is this true or just a myth??

Thanks for the support
Old 14-07-2016, 03:59 AM
Registered User

Location: Somerset
Smile

[...]

Thanks for the links, I have done a lot of reading on the lawnsmith page but the rhs page din't work?? to be honest you have answered my questions!!

Big thanks

Old 14-07-2016, 05:19 AM
Registered User

Location: Somerset
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenaway View Post
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum seeking some info on a couple of problems i have en counted in my garden. I have some beautiful traditional Lilly's in my garden and they keep being eaten or maybe just rotting away i'm not sure it's not like i catch the little buggers in the act. Does anyone know what type of bugs you get in standard English gardens and what i can do to avoid them? Also it could be the strain that i have? does anybody have a good English garden seeds for sale site? I say sites because i am busy working and would like to spend my free time in the garden not the garden center haha. And then the question you all get.... WEEDS driving me crazy coming through my gravel and grass everywhere kinda out of control.

Any info would be great

Thanks
Thanks songbird and Jeff,

Lots of good info there i checked out the websites Jeff put in the rhs website could not be found for some reason???? but the lawnsmith site was great, Plenty of info on products i need to buy and and what they contain chemical wise...

Thanks guys