Old 05-08-2016, 07:58 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Please help me identify the following plants

Hello all:

I have three plants that I am trying to identify.

Here are a few photos for them.

https://plus.google.com/photos/10146...CKTJ_Lqj96C0Tw

The first one has leaves like a birch, but it is much taller.

The second is a small plant with leaves resembling that of a taro plant. It produces a cluster of small berries on a stem. They are first green as shown on photo. Later they turn red.

The third is a tree with small dark fruits. I have three photos for it.

Thank you!
Old 05-08-2016, 10:15 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 05/08/16 06:58, Al Tprk wrote:
Hello all:

I have three plants that I am trying to identify.

Here are a few photos for them.

https://plus.google.com/photos/10146...CKTJ_Lqj96C0Tw

The first one has leaves like a birch, but it is much taller.

The second is a small plant with leaves resembling that of a taro plant. It produces a cluster of small berries on a stem. They are first green as shown on photo. Later they turn red.

The third is a tree with small dark fruits. I have three photos for it.

Thank you!

Don't know the first.

The second is an arum. If it was in the UK I'd say Arum maculatum.

The third is cherry laurel (Prunus laurocerasus).

--

Jeff
Old 05-08-2016, 04:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 8/4/2016 10:58 PM, Al Tprk wrote:
Hello all:

I have three plants that I am trying to identify.

Here are a few photos for them.

https://plus.google.com/photos/10146...CKTJ_Lqj96C0Tw

The first one has leaves like a birch, but it is much taller.

This might be a Chinese elm or a Japanese zelkova; these two are
somewhat related. What color does it get in the autumn? Equally
important, where is the tree growing? That is, what is its climate?

The second is a small plant with leaves resembling that of a taro
plant. It produces a cluster of small berries on a stem. They are
first green as shown on photo. Later they turn red.

Yes this is an arum. Try to get a photo of its flower. It might be a
calla lily, which is an arum.

The third is a tree with small dark fruits. I have three photos for it.

This one, I do not know.

Thank you!

--
David E. Ross

Perhaps it was a smart decision for Hillary Clinton to use her
private E-mail server while Secretary of State. According to
current Secretary of State John Kerry, we know that the Russians
and Chinese have hacked the State Department's servers. In the
meantime, a claim by the Romanian hacker known as Guccifer
(Marcel Lehel Lazar) that he hacked into Clinton's E-mail
server proved false.
Old 05-08-2016, 07:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

Jeff,

I am in San Jose, California.

I looked up arum on Google, and found the following page. The photo there matches what I have:

https://namethatplant.wordpress.com/tag/arum-italicum/

Arum Maculatum leaves seem to be different on most photos, but some photos show similar leaves.

I have been thinking that the fruits may be poisonous and never touched it for years. However, my roommate ate some and he survived! So I will try some.

Old 05-08-2016, 07:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Friday, August 5, 2016 at 7:16:30 AM UTC-7, David E. Ross wrote:
On 8/4/2016 10:58 PM, Al Tprk wrote:
Hello all:

I have three plants that I am trying to identify.

Here are a few photos for them.

https://plus.google.com/photos/10146...CKTJ_Lqj96C0Tw

The first one has leaves like a birch, but it is much taller.

This might be a Chinese elm or a Japanese zelkova; these two are
somewhat related. What color does it get in the autumn? Equally
important, where is the tree growing? That is, what is its climate?

David,

I looked up photos of Chinese elm. The barks fo not match. The one I have seen has a very smooth bark.

Some Japanese zelkova photos resemble what I see.

Beautiful tall trees with picturesque limbs almost crisscrossing each other.

The trees are in my neighborhood in San Jose California.

You can see photos of them on this street in Google maps:

https://goo.gl/maps/nAvSwKSS74F2

Old 05-08-2016, 08:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 8/5/2016 10:42 AM, Al Tprk wrote:
[...]

I have a Japanese zelkova in front of my house. The photo resembles my
tree. It turns red and burgundy in the fall, even without frost. It
thrives in most California climates, especially both the San Francisco
Bay area and my southern California area.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
Old 06-08-2016, 01:09 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 2016-08-05 17:17:14 +0000, Al Tprk said:

Arum Maculatum leaves seem to be different on most photos, but some
photos show similar leaves.

I have been thinking that the fruits may be poisonous and never touched
it for years. However, my roommate ate some and he survived! So I will
try some.

Better not to. There is a wide range of sensitivity to oxalates in the
human population. You don't want your throat to swell shut and
suffocate, do you?

Old 06-08-2016, 01:35 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 2016-08-05 17:17:14 +0000, Al Tprk said:

Arum Maculatum leaves seem to be different on most photos, but some
photos show similar leaves.

I have been thinking that the fruits may be poisonous and never touched
it for years. However, my roommate ate some and he survived! So I will
try some.

Better not to. There is a wide range of sensitivity to oxalates in the
human population. You don't want your throat to swell shut and
suffocate, do you?

Amos, I think I did not delineate my answers properly. Or did not have enough coffee and got the plants mixed up. Or both

I meant to say that my roommate ate the fruits of the cherry laurel (Prunus laurocerasus) and survived.

Wikipedia article in English on it says:

"fruit and seed may cause severe discomfort to humans if ingested".

Yet my roommate, who speaks and reads Chinese fluently, has read the Chinese version of the Wikipedia article, and he says that it does not say that the fruit is poisonous.

And yet another article I read in a third language says that the fruits are edible!

Go figure...

Old 06-08-2016, 10:46 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 06/08/16 00:35, Al Tprk wrote:

Amos, I think I did not delineate my answers properly. Or did not have enough coffee and got the plants mixed up. Or both

I meant to say that my roommate ate the fruits of the cherry laurel (Prunus laurocerasus) and survived.

Wikipedia article in English on it says:

"fruit and seed may cause severe discomfort to humans if ingested".

Yet my roommate, who speaks and reads Chinese fluently, has read the Chinese version of the Wikipedia article, and he says that it does not say that the fruit is poisonous.

And yet another article I read in a third language says that the fruits are edible!

From http://www.fruitipedia.com/english_l...urocerasus.htm
"The fruits are edible, although rather bland and somewhat astringent.
Flavour resembles that of apricots, plums and peaches to which English
laurel is related. "

Many years ago I tried some fruit and found it rather unpleasant in
flavour. Of course, it may not have been fully ripe, and that might
account for its unpleasant flavour. Try eating an unripe cherry and
you'll know what I mean!

--

Jeff