Old 18-08-2016, 05:28 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default How do I get my chayote to produce fruit?

Hello all,

This is the second year of my chayote plant. Last year the vine thrived during the summer but produced no fruit.

During the winter it simply disappeared. I assumed that it dies.

Then during the late spring it appeared again. Lot's of leaves, but still no sign of fruits, although I am watering it regularly and started fertilizing it.

How do I get it to produce fruit?

Al

http://www.plantmaps.com/interactive...diness-map.php

According to this site I am in Zone 9b
Old 18-08-2016, 05:41 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 8/17/2016 9:28 PM, Al Tprk wrote:
Hello all,

This is the second year of my chayote plant. Last year the vine
thrived during the summer but produced no fruit.

During the winter it simply disappeared. I assumed that it dies.

Then during the late spring it appeared again. Lot's of leaves, but
still no sign of fruits, although I am watering it regularly and
started fertilizing it.

How do I get it to produce fruit?

Al

http://www.plantmaps.com/interactive...diness-map.php

According to this site I am in Zone 9b

According to Sunset's "Western Garden Book", you need at least two
plants for cross-pollination.

By the way, the zone map to which you link has problems. It fails to
consider the duration of winter chill, the amount of summer heat, and
such things as persistant cloud cover and prevailing winds. I much
prefer Sunset's own zone scheme, which does consider those climate
characteristics.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
Old 18-08-2016, 10:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

Thank you David.

I've read somewhere else that cross-pollination is not needed. Just in case, I'll plant another one.

As for my Sunset zone, I think I am in zone 15.