Old 18-08-2016, 09:14 PM
Registered User

Location: marden, kent
Default Hayter 56 throttle control springs

Hi..sorry to ask.. first post!.. I have inherited a Hayter 56 mower with Briggs and Stratton which has been brilliant, but the throttle control doesnt work, only runs at one speed.
I dismantled and cleaned the mower today and its really helped..lots of loose/ missing bolts, etc.. but I cant work out what is meant to happen with the springs, are there meant to be 2? I have looked everywhere on google but none of the engines seem to match the throttle layout I have? I have replaced the govenor spring with a new one but that didnt help. The throttle control at the front of the mower moves, but this doesnt move the throttle control at the end of the govenor spring, should there be a second spring? I can manually move the second control and this alters the rev, so no valve issues (?), but not sure what is mean to move the control?
I've attached some photos so I hope that help? Many thanks and apologies if Im too vague... its an old machine so no silver plate with serial nos, etc.. and clearly no expert!.. thanks
tim
Attached Thumbnails
Hayter 56 throttle control springs-spring.jpg   Hayter 56 throttle control springs-cover.jpg
Old 18-08-2016, 09:23 PM
Registered User

Location: marden, kent

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo View Post
[...]

Hopefully this extra photo helps? thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Hayter 56 throttle control springs-spring-copy.jpg
Old 19-08-2016, 12:26 AM posted to rec.gardens

timo wrote:
[...]

Filename: spring.jpg |
Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=16443|
Filename: cover.jpg |
Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=16444|

Most governers work by the spring pulling on the internal governer
mechanism , which is then connected to the throttle shaft by a solid link .
It amounts to a balancing act between the external spring tension and the
forces generated by the internal mechanism - that is , the more spring
tension applied the faster the motor must turn for the internal mechanism to
overcome the higher spring tension .
Hope this helps you .
--
Snag

Old 19-08-2016, 07:35 AM
Registered User

Location: marden, kent

Thats great thanks. The solid link bar is there and I've installed a new govenor spring but I just dont know if what I have is missing a spring or is damaged in anyway? Was hoping to find an image or some advice about how it should look. Many thanks for the reply.
Tim
Old 20-08-2016, 02:04 AM posted to rec.gardens

Once upon a time on usenet timo wrote:
[...]

I don't know what the problem is. Mower engines are supposed to run at a set
rpm, where they and the blade system is most efficient. The governor is
there to open the throttle more if the revs drop (due to load, long grass
etc.) so as to keep the engine at the optimum speed. If you want to vary the
engine speed (pointless on a mower) then you need to disable the governor.

The 'throttle control' is only there to stop the engine when you're done.
Some mowers can be set to idle but there's really no point - you either want
the thing running (and working) or not. On or off.

I know of instances where it has been decided that the mower runs too fast
as they grass is only short so they've been slowed down by modifications.
Usually the engines don't last long as they're designed as a single-speed
unit and running them at lower speeds means insufficient cooling from the
engine-driven fan / inadequate oiling / non-clean fuel burning and
out-of-spec forces on critical components when the load does vary.
--
Shaun.

little classification in the DSM*."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

Old 20-08-2016, 07:32 AM
Registered User

Location: marden, kent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~misfit~[_4_] View Post
[...]

Thanks Shaun. Luckily I can still use the mower to cut the lawn, but as you say, having the ability to control the speed would help due to the different grass lengths, etc. Just wish I knew how the spring setup should be... thanks again
Old 21-08-2016, 05:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 8/19/2016 10:32 PM, timo wrote:
'~misfit~[_4_ Wrote:
;1021809']Once upon a time on usenet timo wrote:-
[...]

"Humans will have advanced a long, long way when religious belief has a
cozy
little classification in the DSM*."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

Thanks Shaun. Luckily I can still use the mower to cut the lawn, but as
you say, having the ability to control the speed would help due to the
different grass lengths, etc. Just wish I knew how the spring setup
should be... thanks again

Do all the throttle parts move? The actual throttle butterfly in the
carb can freeze up, and will need lubrication and some fiddling to get
it moving. As you start the engine, you should see the throttle start in
the full-speed position shown, then rotate CCW as the engine comes up to
speed, if it's working right.

The spring applies pressure to turn the carb throttle valve clockwise
towards full speed. The rod going towards the engine flywheel is
attached to the govenor, which pulls more against the spring to slow the
engine as the engine speed increases by rotating the throttle valve CCW.

Old 21-08-2016, 05:33 PM posted to rec.gardens

'~misfit~[_4_ Wrote:
[...]

You might need to follow the rod left to the governor and see if that's
working correctly. It should move left in your pic as the engine speeds up.