Old 22-08-2016, 04:05 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default wasp nest and Clorox

Haha, at least you used water I didn't have raid so I used windex and soaked the hell out of the hive... I thought anything poison would work but apparently not
Old 24-08-2016, 08:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

Most years I've had to deal with a yellowjacket nest in late summer or early fall (Virginia).

These are social wasps that start with one queen and multiply to about 1500 by late August. They will defend the nest aggressively. If you're not allergic, the lethal dose of venom is around 500 stings, so I take this seriously.

I've tried a number of remedies but have settled on one that works.

I fill a 5 gallon bucket with water and laundry detergent. Note: a household trigger spray bottle with dish soap and water, 1:15 ratio, knocks bees and wasps down instantly. They don't go into a rage and buzz like when you hit them with Raid, they just drop. Anyway, I set the bucket near the nest during the day.

At night I go out and pour the bucket into the hole, NOT STOPPING once I start. Hee, hee. This has never failed; occasionally I've had to do it a second time to finish the job.

A hose alone never seemed to work. I think they know how to survive water, they get rained on, but soapy water wets and drowns them.

I have never been stung doing this. I usually do get stung mowing the lawn when I find the new nest of the year.
Old 24-08-2016, 08:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

Oh, and yes I know it's a 15 year old thread. G
Old 24-08-2016, 09:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

Tim R wrote:
Oh, and yes I know it's a 15 year old thread. G

Not the age of the thread , but you're probably talking about yellow
jackets . I know of no wasps that will nest in the ground . I have seen some
that built a paper nest partly under a rock , but nor under the ground . The
wasps we're most familiar with build a conical paper nest hanging from a
tree or underside of a beam or ceiling .
--
Snag

Old 25-08-2016, 12:24 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Tim R" wrote in message ...
[...]

-----

That's a good tip. Soap, vinegar, baking soda and salt takes the place of a lot of chemicals in the garden. Cheaper too. If I ever have to drown a rat, I add enough laundry detergent to break the surface tension which keeps the fleas from jumping out.

Old 26-08-2016, 03:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 8/24/2016 4:37 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Tim R wrote:
Oh, and yes I know it's a 15 year old thread. G

Not the age of the thread , but you're probably talking about yellow
jackets . I know of no wasps that will nest in the ground . I have seen some
that built a paper nest partly under a rock , but nor under the ground . The
wasps we're most familiar with build a conical paper nest hanging from a
tree or underside of a beam or ceiling .

Not 30 minutes ago I was mowing my front lawn and ran over a nest of yellow
jackets. One of them got me on the back of my left thigh -- straight up the
shorts. Glad it didn't go further and very glad that I'm not allergic.
Probably ten years ago and ten feet away I had the same thing happen and
got stung through my tee and raised a huge painful welt. In both cases I
gave the nests a dose of commercial insecticide straight down the hole.
Fair is fair. If I hadn't gotten stung they wouldn't have gotten poisoned.
Old 26-08-2016, 06:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

Tim R wrote:
[...]

Some feller, maybe a different group.... was going on and on about how he lived near a nest of poisonous snakes, and even though his small children were playing in the same area, he would not kill one.

Myself, I will pick up a spider in the house and drop him outside and chase off harmless garden varmints, etc. But -- and this is a big butt -- when I see a black widow around the house or a rattler, rat, tick, flea, ... I don't call PETA.

Old 27-08-2016, 03:46 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Friday, August 26, 2016 at 1:12:09 PM UTC-4, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:
Some feller, maybe a different group.... was going on and on about how he lived near a nest of poisonous snakes, and even though his small children were playing in the same area, he would not kill one.

Myself, I will pick up a spider in the house and drop him outside and chase off harmless garden varmints, etc. But -- and this is a big butt -- when I see a black widow around the house or a rattler, rat, tick, flea, ... I don't call PETA.

Sometimes you gotta remember the Three S's.

Shoot. Shovel. Shut up.

Most people screw up the third one.

Old 27-08-2016, 02:09 PM posted to rec.gardens

Tim R wrote:
[...]

My neighbor was cleaning up a wood pile yesterday that's about 25 feet
from his front door , splitting it for firewood this winter . They found 5
adult and 4 baby copperheads ... they're all dead now . If they're out in
the woods , I leave them alone . If they're in my yard , they're dead .
--
Snag

Old 29-08-2016, 04:07 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Tim R" wrote in message ...
On Friday, August 26, 2016 at 1:12:09 PM UTC-4, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:
Some feller, maybe a different group.... was going on and on about how he lived near a nest of poisonous snakes, and even though his small children were playing in the same area, he would not kill one.

Myself, I will pick up a spider in the house and drop him outside and chase off harmless garden varmints, etc. But -- and this is a big butt -- when I see a black widow around the house or a rattler, rat, tick, flea, ... I don't call PETA.

Sometimes you gotta remember the Three S's.

Shoot. Shovel. Shut up.

Most people screw up the third one.

Yep. Unbelievable as it is, possums are protected around here, at least in my town. Coyotes too - until they hit the rich neighborhood, then the law magically changed. Saw a coyote about sunrise one day last week trotting down the sidewalk, ignoring the pack of crows chasing him. Fine looking animals.

Old 29-08-2016, 01:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sunday, August 28, 2016 at 11:07:03 PM UTC-4, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:
"Tim R" wrote in message ...
[...]

Funny thing about those crows.

They're always on the road scarfing up road kill. But you never see a roadkilled crow.

Here's why.

They always leave one crow up in a tree, to yell "Car! Car! Car!"

[IMG] code is On

wasp nest and Clorox [email protected] Gardening 0 22-08-2016 04:00 AM
Another wasp nest Sacha[_3_] United Kingdom 8 17-08-2008 08:29 PM
Finding a wasp's nest The Filers Lawns 5 24-10-2003 06:02 AM
Wasp nest between watercourse and public right of way. What to do? Nic O'Demus United Kingdom 23 07-10-2003 07:03 PM
bee/wasp/hornet/?? Nest Martin R. Soderstrom Gardening 4 16-04-2003 06:44 PM