Old 04-09-2016, 03:34 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Electric chainsaws

I need a chainsaw 18-inch for a small one-time job, and found several corded versions online, which is what I want. These have decent reviews. I don't want battery, can't use gas at this location. Anyone used either of these or know another one in the $120 or less range?

Remington RM1840W
18" 12-Amp corded electric
Reviews say available at these stores, but they are no longer available at them:
Sears $101
Walmart $89
Home Depot $89

Greenworks GW20332
18-in 14.2A corded electric
Available online order only:
HomeDepot $89

Old 04-09-2016, 04:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 4 Sep 2016 06:34:19 -0700, "Snuffy \"Hub Cap\" McKinney"
wrote:

I need a chainsaw 18-inch for a small one-time job,
and found several corded versions online, which is what I want.
These have decent reviews. I don't want battery,
can't use gas at this location. Anyone used either of these
or know another one in the $120 or less range?

Remington RM1840W
18" 12-Amp corded electric
Reviews say available at these stores, but they are no longer available at them:
Sears $101
Walmart $89
Home Depot $89

Greenworks GW20332
18-in 14.2A corded electric
Available online order only:
HomeDepot $89

Why can't you use gas at the location?
One time use doesn't say much, could be one huge job that will take
many days, what exactly is the job?
Home Depot also rents electric chain saws... if you're sure it's for a
one time use for just a few hours it may be smarter to rent.
http://www6.homedepot.com/tool-truck...30A/index.html
Old 04-09-2016, 07:10 PM posted to rec.gardens

I have two, and I am happy with both of them. They have cut at least a
ton of trees into fireplace wood.

They do not have the power of large gas powered chain saws, so everything
goes slower. One also throws the chain, but I can live with it.
Old 05-09-2016, 04:36 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 4 Sep 2016 14:04:02 -0700, "Snuffy \"Hub Cap\" McKinney"
wrote:

"J. Clarke" wrote in message ...
In article , Snuffy-Hub-
says...

I need a chainsaw 18-inch for a small one-time job, and found several corded versions online, which is what I want. These have decent reviews. I don't want battery, can't use gas at this location. Anyone used either of these or know another one in the $120 or less range?

Remington RM1840W
18" 12-Amp corded electric
Reviews say available at these stores, but they are no longer available at them:
Sears $101
Walmart $89
Home Depot $89

Greenworks GW20332
18-in 14.2A corded electric
Available online order only:
HomeDepot $89

According to the Sears site, the Crafstman 34120 is in stock in all
stores near me and on sale for under 100 bucks. Mine has cut everything
I've tried.

Thanks JC & AZ. I went to HD, Lowes, Walmart - all of which advertised 18-inch corded units.
What none of the said in the ad was that all were internet-order only. Just got back with the
Sears Craftsman. I'll post the model later and how it works out after a couple of days of cutting.

What are you cutting and you didn't answer why you can't use gas.
I only ask because long ago I went the electric chainsaw route and
wasn't pleased with the performance (weak) and I hated being tethered
to that cord. I've been using chain saws for more than 50 years and
would never consider electric again. I have two chainsaws, both
Jonsered, a mid size and a heavy duty model. Several times each year
trees fall on my property so if they fall where I mow I need to
dispose of them. Most times a mid size machine (16") is adequate but
occasionally a monster falls and then I need my 24" saw.
Jonsered makes the finest chainsaws:
http://www.jonsered.com/int/chainsaws/cs-2234/
Jonsered invented the chainsaw:
http://www.jonsered.com/int/about-us/company-history/

Old 12-09-2016, 12:38 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney" wrote in message ...
"J. Clarke" wrote in message ...
In article , Snuffy-Hub-
says...

[...]

Craftsman 34102 is the one I got and it worked great. I first cut up some dry timber 8-12-inch diameter that had been felled a year ago. Cutting was clean and quick - 5-10 sections per cut.

Also cut a 14-in dia palm trunk. Also did a good job, even with all the fibers clogging things up.

Only thing wrong with the manual is doesn't show how to take off the cover and replaced it. After spending a fair amount of time figuring it out on my own, I see that it's simple to do. Good procedure would have helped. I had to clean out the fibers after each cut and it took me some time to figure out how to do it. Otherwise an excellent manual - written in "real" English with good illustrations. I like the "real" safety and operation tips it has and not just the usual disclaimers and legal crap.

Website has some videos of the using the saw
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-elect...p-07134120000P

Old 13-09-2016, 08:12 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 12 Sep 2016 03:38:21 -0700, "Snuffy \"Hub Cap\" McKinney"
wrote:

"Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney" wrote in message ...
"J. Clarke" wrote in message ...
In article , Snuffy-Hub-
says...

[...]

That means it is garbage, and inexcusably so.

Otherwise an excellent manual - written in "real" English with good illustrations. I like the "real" safety and operation tips it has and not just the usual disclaimers and legal crap.

Website has some videos of the using the saw
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-elect...p-07134120000P

It'd be massively simpler (and much more efficient) to just buy a
Stihl MS 170 or MS180. You will eliminate all issues that you
describe.
Old 13-09-2016, 12:52 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article , lid
says...

wrote:

"Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney" wrote in message ...
"J. Clarke" wrote in message ...
In article , Snuffy-Hub-
says...

[...]

Here's a bigger Stihl than you recommend getting bogged down in a palm
tree https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbXW1RQsNwE. Still think that
that will "eliminate all issues"?

---

Old 14-09-2016, 01:40 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 13 Sep 2016 06:52:17 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

In article , lid
says...

wrote:

"Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney" wrote in message ...
"J. Clarke" wrote in message ...
In article , Snuffy-Hub-
says...

[...]

I'll have to try watching it early in the morning as my bandwidth is
shaped/throttled at the moment.

[IMG] code is On

Wanted Broken Chainsaws, Weed Trimmers and Blowers Chip North Carolina 0 13-09-2005 09:49 PM
chainsaws H Ryder United Kingdom 33 01-09-2005 12:39 PM
chainsaws jam Gardening 0 25-03-2004 04:42 PM
chainsaws jam Gardening 0 25-03-2004 04:42 PM
Poulan Pro Chainsaws any good? Oscar_lives Lawns 23 20-11-2003 02:12 AM