Old 28-02-2003, 06:03 PM
Cereoid+10+

Default Not a lily ( What to do with lily question)

Haemanthus are not cold hardy.
Plant the bulbs in a pot and treat them as you would Amaryllis.
You must keep the foliage growing and give the plants bulb fertilizer so
that they will bloom again.

You never did do a google search for Haemanthus for more info, did you?
Make the effort and you will learn something.

TOM KAN PA wrote in message
OK, the Stargazer Lily plant has lost its blooms, and is dropping leaves.

It
will be at least three months 'til I can plant it outside.
What should I do with it in the meanwhile?

Old 28-02-2003, 06:51 PM
TOM KAN PA

Subject: Not a lily ( What to do with lily question)
From: "Cereoid+10+"
You never did do a google search for Haemanthus for more info, did you?
____Reply Separator_____
Never knew it was a what you called it.
You could have mentioned it before.

Old 28-02-2003, 07:15 PM
TOM KAN PA

Hmmm
I took your advice and did a search for Haemanthus.
Showed a lot of flowers but none that looked like a Stargazer Lily. Then I did
a search for Stargazer Lily.
After finding to rock bands, numerous prints and photos, many Yankee Candles,
and some gift shops, I finally found the plant.
However the page made no reference to Haemanthus. It stated:*
STARGAZER LILY
Species Name: Lilium hybrid

So where does this Haemanthus fit in?

Old 28-02-2003, 09:27 PM
N.S.D

TOM KAN PA wrote:
Hmmm
I took your advice and did a search for Haemanthus.
Showed a lot of flowers but none that looked like a Stargazer Lily. Then I did
a search for Stargazer Lily.
After finding to rock bands, numerous prints and photos, many Yankee Candles,
and some gift shops, I finally found the plant.
However the page made no reference to Haemanthus. It stated:*
STARGAZER LILY
Species Name: Lilium hybrid

So where does this Haemanthus fit in?

Tom, in an earlier post you did call it a "StarFIRE lily", not
"StarGAZER lily", so maybe that was just a little brain glitch? :-)
Stargazer is certainly a lilium (and I notice that Cereoid also
insisted it's a Haemanthus, but what the hey...) but when I did
some searches on "Starfire" rather than "Stargazer" I finally
found one reference which did indeed refer to a Haemanthus.
(htt;://www.robertasinc.com/star.html) So I guess the final answer
depends on whether you have a Stargazer or a Starfire. I've never
seen the latter, I'm familiar with the former for sure (very pretty
but I hate the smell!)

- Naomi D. - for whom true lilies are now moot, due to the dreaded
red lily leaf beetle.

--
No more will our green sea go turn a deeper blue.
I could not foresee this thing happening to you.

Old 01-03-2003, 01:27 AM
Cereoid+10+

You sneaky little stinker. You first called it a "Starfire Lily" and now you
are calling it a "Stargazer Lily". Make up your mind. They are not the same
at all.

Old 01-03-2003, 04:51 PM
Sed5555

Haemanthus are not cold hardy.

No, but Stargazer lilies are. I grow them here in zone 4/5 with great success,
and they were originally forced.
sed5555
Old 03-03-2003, 02:27 PM
harrison

Ann, I'm next to Belmont where I think the lily beetle first showed up. A
good friend of mine is serious about gardening organically and she also
likes Oriental lilies. She declared war on the beetle when it first appeared
in her garden and derives great joy from harvensting that very disgusting
bug. Her lilies have survived and while they may look a bit chewed, she is
definitely winning. I will admit this takes time at least once, if not
twice, a day. Eugenia, zone 6, two towns west of Boston
"Ann" wrote in message
(N.S.D) expounded:

- Naomi D. - for whom true lilies are now moot, due to the dreaded
red lily leaf beetle.

You too, Naomi? Where are you located?

--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA

Old 04-03-2003, 12:03 AM
Ann

"harrison" expounded:

Ann, I'm next to Belmont where I think the lily beetle first showed up. A
good friend of mine is serious about gardening organically and she also
likes Oriental lilies. She declared war on the beetle when it first appeared
in her garden and derives great joy from harvensting that very disgusting
bug. Her lilies have survived and while they may look a bit chewed, she is
definitely winning. I will admit this takes time at least once, if not
twice, a day. Eugenia, zone 6, two towns west of Boston

They first showed up in Wellesley, I heard, in 1994. Damned things.
I know you can control them by hand-picking (yick-ptooey!) but I have
a fulltime job already G. I've pretty much given up on lilies until
they come up with a solution that I can live with....I've heard
they're working on a predator. Between the lilies and frittilarias I
have, I don't stand a chance of hand-picking them all.

--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA

Old 07-03-2003, 07:20 PM
N.S.D

Ann wrote:
(N.S.D) expounded:

- Naomi D. - for whom true lilies are now moot, due to the dreaded
red lily leaf beetle.

You too, Naomi? Where are you located?

--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA

I'm in central Mass. - Leominster. The devilish
things arrived about 3 years ago - of course,
right after I planted about 25 new lilies.
Neem sort of works, but you have to keep at it
very diligently, and most of my lilies are goners
already.

(sorry I didn't see your post earlier, my 'Net
access has been spotty lately.)

- Naomi D.

Old 07-03-2003, 07:32 PM
N.S.D

Ann wrote:
"harrison" expounded:

Ann, I'm next to Belmont where I think the lily beetle first showed up. A
good friend of mine is serious about gardening organically and she also
likes Oriental lilies. She declared war on the beetle when it first appeared
in her garden and derives great joy from harvensting that very disgusting
bug. Her lilies have survived and while they may look a bit chewed, she is
definitely winning. I will admit this takes time at least once, if not
twice, a day. Eugenia, zone 6, two towns west of Boston

They first showed up in Wellesley, I heard, in 1994. Damned things.
I know you can control them by hand-picking (yick-ptooey!) but I have
a fulltime job already G.

:-) I hear ya' there!

I've pretty much given up on lilies until
they come up with a solution that I can live with....I've heard
they're working on a predator. Between the lilies and frittilarias I
have, I don't stand a chance of hand-picking them all.

Oh yes, I'd almost forgotten the frittilarias. :-( You think I could
get all the garden writers, who wrote about the lily beetles without
once mentioning fritillarias, to pay for my brand-new, chewed-up
Fritillaria Imperialis? (which I planted to deter a mole or vole which
is eating or damaging the roots of all my other bulbs - it's like
a circle dance of predators in my garden lately! ) OK, I should
have remembered they're related - but my chionodoxas are OK, so far.

- Naomi D.